my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Grind Roundup

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grind Roundup
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 24, 2005 08:22     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like a good grindcore band as much as I like anything. Unfortunately, a lot of them tend to be of the underground or badly known type that only the clued in, intelligent metal peoples tend to know about.

So, as clued in, intelligent, metal peoples, let's swap notes.

My top five:

Napalm Death: Obviously. Only the first two are really "grind" albums, but they make up for it by being really very bloody good. From Enslavement to Obliteration is one of the better albums ever, IMO.

Nasum: Mieszko may be gone, but his music lives on! The most accomplished modern grind band, there's not a dull moment on any of their albums. Groovy, sometimes melodic, always brutal.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed: Not anything special, but they're good fun for a bit of noise. Altered States of America has about 120 tracks, so is a bit of a fun oddity.

Pig Destroyer: They've gone all poncy and avant-garde now, but their earlier stuff is brilliant, blast-happy frenzied noise. Prowler in the Yard is genius. Only just got into these guys.

Carcass: "It's oozing out of the fucking speakers!"

Your turn!

|  IP: Logged
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 24, 2005 17:35     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's some bands :

Brutal Truth
Repulsion
Terrorizer
Discordance Axis
Exit 13
Assuck
Birdflesh
Dead Infection
Human Remains
Leng T'Che
Machetazo
Phobia
Regurgitate
Rotten Sound

If you're still looking for more you can always check out older bands that pretty much influenced grindcore : Siege, Ripcord, Heresy, Infest, etc...

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 24, 2005 18:04     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's really tons of stuff out there. Only problem is that most of that stuff is distributed by US distros so not easy to track down in Europe.

In that case, Soulseek is a better solution.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 25, 2005 07:01     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Birdflesh are insane. Adde aka Smattro Ansjovis / drums & yelling lives in my town. Great guy. If you like the idea of gory Monty Python goes grind they are your band

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted August 25, 2005 07:18     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well ...

NAPALM DEATH (2 first and "Peel sessions" aarrghhhh)
BRUTAL TRUTH (first)
REGURGITATE
FLESH PARADE
DEAD INFECTION
FUCK I'M DEAD
SUBLIME CADAVERIC DECOMPOSITION
LAST DAY OF HUMANITY
NOT A BR(A)IN (Disco grind !!!!!!)

--------------------

My sky is black today

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 25, 2005 18:28     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just said I already had World Downfall.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 26, 2005 13:17     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmm, maybe some more listens are in order. Didn't grab me the first time I heard them, they seemed pretty gimmicky, too. But I'll re-evaluate.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 26, 2005 14:16     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, which is good. They had a "making of the album" bit on their DVD, and the guitarist is in Akercocke now, anyway, so it would be a bit redundant to carry on with them.
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted August 26, 2005 20:18     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Birdflesh, I see the name everywhere, it's already on my list of bands I have to check out - even more after seeing that pic ! I'm very impressed by people who can blast the drums and scream at the same time, like the guy in Hellnation...
I have one song from them, on the Falafel Grind comp (Tribute to Cripple Bastards)

Exit 13: I recommend 'Smoking Songs' (no grindcore here though, they cover traditionnal jazz and blues songs from 1920-30 about MJ smoking and stuff) featuring Dan Lilker and Rich Hoak of Brutal Truth... unplugged!

New stuff:
Happy Face - http://www.happy-face.co.uk/
Mumakil (download the demo!) http://www.mumakil.ch/
Prostitute Disfigurement

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 28, 2005 12:49     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SOILENT GREEN

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 27, 2005 11:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Circle of Dead Children - Human Harvest

I just got it. so should you.
http://www.circleofdeadchildren.net

That was wicked Corpse! I've never heard of this group.........At times that guys lungs sound like there being flushed down a toilet. Great stuff.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 28, 2005 13:44     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.toseparatethefleshfromthebones.com/index2.htm

Oldskool grind, pretty good IMHO!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 02, 2006 11:55     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Total Fucking Destruction
General Surgery (if you're into the goregrindstuff)

Myspace is also excellent IMO for finding out about these bands. Most of these bands have a myspace page with a few songs on it.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 15, 2006 14:43     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Curiously, they're on iTunes. I listened to some samples, and I agree. Nice catch.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan