my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Hate Eternal - I, Monarch

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hate Eternal - I, Monarch
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 02, 2005 04:39     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...is out now. Better than the last one, too. More words after more listens.
 |  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 02, 2005 20:28     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dissect'd by your reporter in the field!

Okay. First things first - if you even think that you kinda sort of like death metal, get this album. It's probably as complete a death metal album as has been released recently. This blows Nile all the way back to the sarcophagus which spawned them.

King of All Kings was good, but fairly criticised as being a "one-trick pony", an endless procession of blast-'n-grind cardboard cutout tracks. Well, this is different. Very different. It's still as brutal as before, but there's real thought and effort gone into crafting individual songs, with unconventional rhythms and variations in instrumentation and style.

The drumming's excellent, as you might expect from Roddy, and there's tonnes of very memorable riffs and nice solos. Erik's clearly been working on his stuff, and it shows. The title track, I, Monarch, is very strong indeed, based around a pattern I like very much, which Napalm Death used to use a lot in their very early days - the sludgy, slow riff placed over a frenetic blastbeat. As a nice bonus, the refrain contains some distinctly Voivodian chords. My favourite tracks are Behold Judas, probably, and Faceless One, but it's consistently strong throughout, unlike King of All Kings where you could skip a few tracks and not really miss anything.

It's eclectic and chaotic and brutal, but smart with it - the last track, Faceless One, is an instrumental which just feels immense. It's like something Death might have done, all tricky rhythms and harmonies and jazzy drumming.

This album is brilliant. And yes, Warcorpse, I think it's even better than Vital Remains.

This is my early tip for best death metal this year (including Behemoth) - Hate Eternal have grown up.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 03, 2005 00:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IMONARCH

Your response lync??

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 03, 2005 08:35     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why do I need to respond? I've already said what I think. If they disagree, fair enough.
psychoblast
VoivodFan
Member # 110

posted July 04, 2005 01:12     Profile for psychoblast   Email psychoblast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If the CD even comes close to the report it would still be great

Need to check this one out.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 05, 2005 20:08     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I was gushing a bit there, but I really do like it.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 11, 2005 17:15     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:

Lyckantropen is right.

I want this tattooed on my wrist...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 15, 2005 16:01     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I like the 3rd one best, 1st one second best and 2d one 3rd best. got it?

Got it. But I don't have the first one, so I can't argue.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 15, 2005 18:08     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks like me and my new best friend, Mr. Student-Loan have a date with the record store, then.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan