my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 01, 2005 11:22     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Listen. Now.
 |  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 01, 2005 13:17     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Waiting for my vinyl copy...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 01, 2005 14:43     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You and your vinyls... bastard.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 01, 2005 16:09     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well it's a dirty job...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 02, 2005 13:04     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cryptopsy is looking at the end of the year, I think, because of the setbacks they've had. Am I alone in hoping Dan Mongrain would join them permanently?

Hate Eternal is end of June-early July, I think. Mid-end of summer, certainly. Sounds cracking, from what I've heard.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 05, 2005 07:12     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhh!!! For once Relapse actually released this on vinyl within two weeks of the CD release - quite an achievement for them And what a joy it is - gorgeous gatefold sleeve and 120 gram vinyl. I love it when they go the extra mile, but I'm not so sure it warranted a double LP - it only fills 3 sides. In my opinion anything less than 55 minutes can easily be pressed onto one vinyl and this one clocks in at just under 52 - so a bit unnecessary methinks. But hey, at least it is on vinyl!

This album is a corker. They seem to have taken the strengths of their previous albums and rolled them all into this one. I can feel the presence of all three albums here, and it sure as hell sounds great.

The production is really crisp but not overbearing. One criticism I have of In Their Darkened Shrines is that the sound is too splashy, and I felt the end result was that clarity was lost in favour of an in-your-face production. Annihilation is different and as a bonus it does have real clarity and it is a joy to listen to.

I would try and pick out a stand out track but to be honest the whole album stands out. I can't even think of a single moment where the thought 'filler' entered my head as I listened to it. This is arguably the most complete album I've heard for many years.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 05, 2005 11:06     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed! There is not one thing they have released which I don't like. Nile are too damn cool! Also the boyfriend met Karl, & says he's a very nice bloke Jammy fucker

--------------------

String em up

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 07, 2005 19:38     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Cast Down the Heretic is my favourite track. But i've always had a thing for opening tracks on albums, they always seem to grab me more than most others. With that said, there's some damned fine moments on this album - and George Kollias has to be the best drummer they've had since Derek Roddy.

And it's got plenty of the big, banana-bend solos which are something of a Colonel Sanders trademark.

However, I still think In Their Darkened Shrines is a better album. Maybe it's just because I'm so familiar with it, but it just has that little extra something which Annihilation maybe lacks. I think more listens are in order, but I'm a happy bunny.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 15, 2005 15:29     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't buy Karl Sanders' solo album, then.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 29, 2005 10:39     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm almost to the end of this album right now. Its so huge it'll take a while to absorb me thinks.

So what if Nile has painted themselves in a corner Corpse. They're great at what they do. Why the animosity? What's with the redneck comment??? Believe me, I know rednecks...they couldn't find Egypt on a map of Africa.

psychoblast
VoivodFan
Member # 110

posted July 06, 2005 02:28     Profile for psychoblast   Email psychoblast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thin mummy stuff or not, in my opinion they did a great job and improved themselves.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 06, 2005 04:26     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I fucking love this album. Nile finally have a decent production thanks to Neil Kernon, and they songs are killer. I love the liner notes in Nile albums. Eygptology has always fascinated me and a Death Metal and who bases their music/artwork, etc on that theme is just too cool imho. this is a 9/10 for me.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan