my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Pungent Stench anybody???

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pungent Stench anybody???
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 06, 2005 10:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any fans of this band on here? I absolutely love'em. One of the few bands I've heard in a long time where it clicked immediately upon pushing play. Holy hell, the riffs are fucking crushing on their latest work 'AMPEAUTY'. They get labelled as death metal but this one is kind of what I'd call death rock. Love the vocals too. Its a discernible growl that roars over the riffs. Excellent.

Thank you Neutrino for turning me on to them.

|  IP: Logged
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted May 08, 2005 11:33     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, Ampeauty is quite good

I was about to second Knickerz's post, a few months ago,
http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000084
but then I played some *old* Pungent Stench and I realized 'Ampeauty' doesn't compare...

have you heard 'Been Caught Buttering'? and 'Dirty Rhymes'?

Sputter Supper !!!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted May 08, 2005 16:21     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, pungent stench of old...now don't make me foam at the mouth!

Brainpan Blues, Shrunken And Mummified Bitch, Splatterday Night Fever, not to mention the absolutely sick Dirty Rhymes EP!!

I think Ampeauty does compare, but there is something rather special about early Pungent - they were and still are rather unique.

They played in the UK recently and I was going to go, but matters conspired against me...DAMN!!!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 09, 2005 10:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What do you think of 'Masters of Moral-Servants of Sin'? Perhaps the one that qualifies as true death metal.....Terrorizer said they were trying to hard to impress people with their technical ability...in fact the interviewer told that to their drummer face to face...I thought what an s.o.b....yes, it was different than their older stuff..but I love it. "Diary of a Nurse", c'mon sir, that's as good as metal gets. Especially Pungent metal..................
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted May 09, 2005 13:36     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think there's a bad pungent album. They're all good in my opinion. I love masters of moral, it's different for them but it's real good!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 13, 2005 14:24     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't actually heard any of their other stuff, but Masters of Moral is a damned fine album. I need to find more stuff.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted May 25, 2005 19:16     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh... Pungent Stench! I love them. But only the old ones.

I sold "Masters Of Moral" after trying to like it for a year. "Ampeauty" had some good moments, when I heard it one time, but it didn't was enough to buy it. Maybe I had to give it another chance. I mean, I missed so lot from what I loved once. Where is their humour, their illness and their surprises?

Mez, I'm not sure, if you have heard their old masterpieces:

"For God Your Soul, For Me your Flesh"
"Been caught Buttering"
"Dirthy Rhymes and Psychotronic Beats"
"Club Mondo Bizare - For Members only"

If no, I know what to send ya.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted May 25, 2005 19:26     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just heard some samples from "Ampeauty" over amazon. I'm interested again. Thanks.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2005 10:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:
Ahh... Pungent Stench! I love them. But only the old ones.

I sold "Masters Of Moral" after trying to like it for a year. "Ampeauty" had some good moments, when I heard it one time, but it didn't was enough to buy it. Maybe I had to give it another chance. I mean, I missed so lot from what I loved once. Where is their humour, their illness and their surprises?

Mez, I'm not sure, if you have heard their old masterpieces:

"For God Your Soul, For Me your Flesh"
"Been caught Buttering"
"Dirthy Rhymes and Psychotronic Beats"
"Club Mondo Bizare - For Members only"

If no, I know what to send ya.

Yes, thanks to Mr. Neutrino I do. To me Ampeauty is the tops...I mean those riffs are truly some of the best I've ever heard. And the humor is great! The first track on the album is about the chick at the Iraq prison who was molesting all the prisoners! When you compared them to all the other death metal out there (90% of which is shit) they stand out. Sir, I wish you'd sent your copy of Masters of Moral to me. How could you not like "Diary of a Nurse"???????

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted May 26, 2005 20:36     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i like the split with DISHARMONIC ORCHESTRA alot. And Been Caught it good. Got a little stupid later on for me.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted May 27, 2005 05:17     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
How could you not like "Diary of a Nurse"???????

I was so disappointed about the changes that I couldn't accept their new style. Don't know why I had this problems with Pungent Stench, 'cause normally I always wish bands change their styles (like hmm Voi..).

Maybe I needed just your (and from the others) good words about the albums to hear them more openminded. If they could grow, I really will be grateful for this thread.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 27, 2005 08:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:
I was so disappointed about the changes that I couldn't accept their new style. Don't know why I had this problems with Pungent Stench, 'cause normally I always wish bands change their styles (like hmm Voi..).

Maybe I needed just your (and from the others) good words about the albums to hear them more openminded. If they could grow, I really will be grateful for this thread.

Hahah......no sir, you're probably right. You see, I just discovered this band and started with their last album and went backwards.....so my perspective is totally different. Here's a good quote from a review on Ampeauty:

"Lyrically, the thing that strikes me about Pungent Stench’s toilet humor, is that it never comes across as forced or over the top offensive. It seems disturbingly first hand and natural, rather than B-Movie or over done. The music is the same; nothing is forced or delivered with false pretenses of brutality, Pungent Stench are what they are. And they are “Fear the Grand Inquisitor”, the album’s 8 minute closer.

Granted, Ampeauty isn’t going to garner a huge amount of praise or change the genre, that’s what bands like Mastodon and Nile are for. Pungent Stench is for smoking a fattie and watching Necromantik over and over again."

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted June 17, 2005 09:24     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit, I've been away for a while, and just noticed this post... I'm a huge PS fan, been following them since their split LP with Disharmonic Orchestra.. I must admit that in 93-94 it was difficult to me to "understand" what they did with Club Mondo Bizarre... But time gave them the reason as I now love that record, it's exactly as Mezcalhead said, Death Rock, with catchy death riffs, if you know what i mean... With Masters of Moral they did something pretty brutal, like rewinding to the times of For god your soul, very fast & brutal, nothing very special I must say, but very "old school"... Ampeauty came as the perfect combination of the old school days with the death rock touches, very groovy, catchy & nasty!!!! I think it was THE record of 2004, it's genious, hilarious, and entertaining!!!! A MUST HAVE!!! Besides, the booklet is just AMAZING, you have to see it to believe it, it's shocking & intense (Gehrard Aba is the artist)...
PD: Sorry to be so extensive, but i havent't posted in a long time & I really love PUNGENT STENCH!!!!! Cheers!!!

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 21, 2005 09:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks like they have a show coming up:

And check out who else is on the bill......You Europeans are soooooooo lucky!!
http://www.metalforcesfestival.de/

psychoblast
VoivodFan
Member # 110

posted June 29, 2005 05:42     Profile for psychoblast   Email psychoblast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I only really like the first 2 albums.
After that they try are getting kinda boring to my ears.

winoguy
VoivodFan
Member # 748

posted January 22, 2006 18:31     Profile for winoguy   Email winoguy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great band, which I'm glad made a comeback. Was lucky enough to see them once in the 90's. I agree that there's something special about the first 2 releases that will most likely never be equaled. Some of the sickest stuff east of Autopsy.

--------------------

11-7-88 w/ Violence
5-15-03 w/ Sepultura
6-22-08 w/ Anthrax

Interested in CDR trades. Have over 3100 titles in thrash, doom, death, grind, hardcore, NWOBHM, 70's, power etc. I sell on ebay under vladdrac666
http://www.myspace.com/doommetalpatches

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan