my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted March 12, 2005 17:53     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This album has been around since 2003, but I only came across it recently. The band themselves have been around since 1993 and released four albums and recently an EP. But the album I heard only a few days ago, owned by a few here on VVF is The Work Which Transforms God.

It is truly one of the eeriest albums I have ever heard - almost bordering on chaos at times. Melodic it most certainly isn't - it is a stark, cold, almost nightmarish soundscape. It has some origins in old Thorns material but this album is ruthlessly executed. The outstanding track is The Choir Of The Dead which is a truly stunning attack on the senses. Dissonant, almost rollercoaster like, it feels like being dragged headlong into a dark, surreal landscape, where everything that you ever believed is brazenly torn up in front of you, leaving only your worst fears intact. This is not easy listening and the album has a good knack of unsettling the listener on a regular basis.

The only let down, if you could call it that, is that I felt the short instrumental (ambient) tracks were not as well executed as they could have been. But this is a minor criticism and I would recommend anybody who fancies something quite radical to give this a try.

I am sure this album will polarise opinion. People will grow to love it or loathe it - there is no sitting on the fence. It will shock you on first listen, make no mistake. However, from there it will either make you curious, as happened to me, whereupon you are most likely to be drawn in and hooked, or you will recoil, reject, and regard it as little more than an exercise in noise pollution, as my mate did after he heard it. But go and download the track above and see what you think. I'm now busily searching out their back catalogue. Blut Aus Nord has me totally hooked.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

|  IP: Logged
Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted March 14, 2005 08:36     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fantastic album !!!!!!!!!!!
Really original in staying fucking dark !!!!
Far from most of the shitty new Black Metal "evolution" (like MAYHEM, SATYRICON and others shit)

The new one is a MCd but it's really ambient stuff without Black Metal part anymore or even vocals , strange .....

--------------------

My sky is black today

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 15, 2005 23:49     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love The Work Which Transforms God. As you said, it's not an easy listen, but very rewarding for sure. The main fast riff in The Choir Of The Dead doesn't even sound like guitars, it sounds like...howling winds or something. I think I will go crank it up right now.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan