my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Mastodon, Exeter University UK 17 Feb 2005

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mastodon, Exeter University UK 17 Feb 2005
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 17, 2005 19:51     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great Gig!

First up Burst from Sweden. Was very impressed - so much so I bought a 10" ep

Great guitar playing, well written songs and brilliantly executed. I hope they go far.

Next were Dozer, and I have to say I wasn't impressed at all. I'm not a fan of their style of music anyways so it's probably best not to comment save to say I stayed as long as I could bear before partaking in some beer...

Mastodon. Never heard anything by them until recently - put off by other people's negative comments. I should have ignored - when I got Leviathon I was amazed at their diversity and skill, so I was looking forawrd to seeing them live - and I was not disappointed. They cracked out a fabulous set and I was bowled over by their musical skill. Not that I could pay too much attention because I was too busy in the crowd

I'd have to say that Mastodon would not normally come up on my shortlist of bands to see but after this I'd recommend a listen. They are seriously good in my opinion and definitely not run of the mill.

(The dates have been changed to protect the guilty )

--------------------

Hail Santa...

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 18, 2005 05:22     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unbelieveable! I saw three bands with exactly the same names on exactly the same night but in London! What are the chances?!!!
It was a top gig. Mastodon are tight as fuck these days. That's what constant touring does for you. Voivod take note!!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 18, 2005 10:35     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Unbelieveable! I saw three bands with exactly the same names on exactly the same night but in London! What are the chances?!!!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted February 18, 2005 13:37     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mastodon are fantastic live. Saw them last year here in Seattle - we were their last stop prior to recording Leviathan (which they did here). I dunno who's been giving you negative feedback on them, Knick, but you obviously haven't read anything posted by Mez on the subject!

They're back here in April, but I don't know if I'll go or not - Motorhead's the next night, and I'm not sure I could take the combo on back to back nights...decisions decisions.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 18, 2005 17:34     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got tickets for Mastodon's Helsinki gig on March 11, yoohoo!! It will be their second time in Finland in a short time, they were here only a couple of months ago with Slayer and Slipknot. That time they only had a roughly 30 minute opening slot (or so I heard), now they're headlining.

Dozer does the warm-up, and judging from what I've heard from them until now, I'll be sitting at the bar until the big M gets on stage Can't wait, time goes so slooooow!

I've been listening to their records intensively lately and have developed a slight addiction, even They're the best new US act I've heard, they've got tons of originality and the guts and skill to come up with something unconventional. I'm keeping a close eye for them in the future too, that's for sure!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 20, 2005 18:48     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
best metal band, any genre, ive seen live in quite a while....

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 21, 2005 09:48     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm quite bored with Mastodon these days. Couldn't see them in Exeter anyway, as I was on a plane from Warsaw.
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 04, 2005 04:46     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Mastodon are tight as fuck these days. That's what constant touring does for you. Voivod take note!!

+1

wow, I finally managed to see Mastodon! (Paris, La Boule Noire, 03/03)

Extol and Dozer were playing first - not bad, but I don't like the vocals much; Dozer reminds me of desert-rock like Kyuss, and maybe Clutch (the singer had a Clutch shirt)

Then Mastodon crushed the place! Mostly songs from Leviathan, and a few older ones, and a Melvins cover...
Brann Dailor is really an amazing drummer!

Hey Väinämöinen, have a good time at the gig in Helsinki!

oh, and the shirts are unfuckinbelievably cool

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 04, 2005 11:06     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
I'm quite bored with Mastodon these days.

Well then. Tell us what's holding your interest these days...other than travel. I'm curious.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 04, 2005 11:32     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today, mostly, I've been listening to "Fenriz Presents: The Best of Old-School Black Metal". Very nice, for a compilation, say what you like about ol' Ted, he has impeccable taste. I need to get more Tormentor stuff.

Other than that, my recent listenings have been:

Behemoth
Sunn O)))
Khanate
Electric Wizard
Nasum
Napalm Death
Agoraphobic Nosebleed (excellent, monged-out-of-it's-face grind)

...and a brilliant british radio comedy series called "Blue Jam". Seriously, the darkest, most unsettling stuff that can be rightly called comedy. It's genius - that's where my signature at the moment comes from.

Don't get me wrong, Mastodon are good, but I find there are far more interesting bands out there. Leviathan especially was a disappointment for me.

Generally, I haven't had much time for musical adventures recently, as it's crunch time for my courses and University entries. Busy busy busy!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 04, 2005 11:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Generally, I haven't had much time for musical adventures recently, Busy busy busy!

I've been experiencing the same dilemma. No time. Too busy with school and getting from A to B. Boring stuff, really. Thanks for the suggestions.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 04, 2005 14:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Today, mostly, I've been listening to "Fenriz Presents: The Best of Old-School Black Metal". Very nice, for a compilation, say what you like about ol' Ted, he has impeccable taste. I need to get more Tormentor stuff.

Other than that, my recent listenings have been:

Behemoth
Sunn O)))
Khanate
Electric Wizard
Nasum
Napalm Death
Agoraphobic Nosebleed (excellent, monged-out-of-it's-face grind)

...and a brilliant british radio comedy series called "Blue Jam". Seriously, the darkest, most unsettling stuff that can be rightly called comedy. It's genius - that's where my signature at the moment comes from.

Don't get me wrong, Mastodon are good, but I find there are far more interesting bands out there. Leviathan especially was a disappointment for me.

Generally, I haven't had much time for musical adventures recently, as it's crunch time for my courses and University entries. Busy busy busy!

Electric Wizard more interesting than Mastodon???? Are you nuts lad? Can anybody say cure for insomnia?? Talk about repetitive.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 04, 2005 19:31     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
one of the guys from Agoraphobic Nosebleed is in Old Man Gloom,

they also do a cool cover of "Forgotten in Space".

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 05, 2005 04:09     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Today, mostly, I've been listening to "Fenriz Presents: The Best of Old-School Black Metal". Very nice, for a compilation, say what you like about ol' Ted, he has impeccable taste.

Is Fenriz still working as a postman then?

--------------------

String em up

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 07, 2005 08:47     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Electric Wizard more interesting than Mastodon???? Are you nuts lad? Can anybody say cure for insomnia?? Talk about repetitive.

Hey, I like doom. :P

And yes, Fenriz is still a postman.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 07, 2005 19:06     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
[QBHey Väinämöinen, have a good time at the gig in Helsinki![/QB]

Thanks mate! I'm already having trouble concentrating on anything...gig fever sets in I'll post a quick report when I get back!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 12, 2005 17:14     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mastodon came, saw and definitely crushed! This has to be on the top five gigs I've EVER seen! They played for about one and half hours, leaving me with a big grin that's still on my fucking face <---see? They opened with "Hearts Alive" which was very impressive, I nearly orgasmed through the whole song , then played almost all of the songs from "Leviathan", many others from "Remission" and concluded with one older song and a Melvins cover...what else can one ask, really?

The guys seemed to have a great time, and so did the crowd..."Are you all gay?" "YEAAAAHH!!" "That's what I thought..." Brann was a machine, not missing a single beat and even improvising here and there, and the whole band played extremely tight all the time. The sound was also flawless, everything was crisp and clear (and heavy) through the show. I love Mastodon.

If you ever get a chance to see these guys, be sure not to miss it. You won't be disappointed!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan