my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » Opeth concert review!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opeth concert review!!
Fireface
VoivodFan
Member # 51

posted January 28, 2003 15:25     Profile for Fireface   Email Fireface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wasn't sure where to post this thread. It could have easily been placed in the prog metal forum, but I think these guys are more death than prog. I also didn't want this thread to get lost in the shuffle on the General Discussion board.

This band IMHO deserves way more attention than they're getting. The buzz in the underground is big over Opeth, but this band should be playing bigger venues than the 500 to 1000 seaters on this tour. I'm glad I caught these smaller gigs though. Onto the reviews..

As I mentioned before, I traveled to the Cleveland show at the Agora Ballroom. The ballroom is the smaller of the 2 venues in the building. The ballroom holds 700, while the theater holds about 1400. After the lame opening acts Opeth hit the stage. The opener 'The Leper Affinity' shook the rafters in the place: We entered Winter once again. Naked, freezing from the cold...

Brutal swirling melodies punctuated by Mikael Akerfeldt's wonderfully horrid growl.
The music seemlessly blends insanely catchy riffing with - for the lack of a better phrase - beautiful acoustic passages. Opeth uses a classic growling style mixed with clean vocals. Akerfeldt pulled off the transition betw/ both styles almost perfectly.

Met the guys after the Cleveland show by their bus. Both guitarists - Mikael and Peter - took the time to talk to each and every person in the freezing cold. Both Martin's were visibly missing! Must have been 25 of us out there. Got pictures and my discs signed! Way cool guys and extremely humble...

The setlist from both nights:

The Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls
Godhead's Lament
Credence
Bleak
A Fair Judgement

E: Demon of the Fall

A snippet from my Chicago review on Opeth's message board on Ultimate Metal dot com:

I can't say enough about this band. The songs were played flawlessly, with the occasional broken string the only thing I could notice that went wrong. As in Cleveland, the energy level in this place was over the top with Mikael noticebly impressed with the crowd response. The sound was fantastic with everything audible in the mix. I'd have to say it was a bit better than Cleveland but not much. Martin's bass fluctuated a bit during a couple of tunes, but it was quickly fixed. Mikael's growls to me sounded even more brutal than Saturday. Might have been the hometown setting. Who knows?!

This was also my buddy Tom's first Opeth show and he was transfixed the entire time only occasionally glancing over in awe over these guys. We were all hanging out on the floor on the right side. I was wearing a Death Symbolic l/s. A friend of mine from the now defunct Chicago band LOTEC showed up on my recommendation alone having never even heard the music before. Opeth had a new fan on the way out. Watch the album sales soar after this gig! It was that fuckin' good!!!

Apologies for the long review...

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 29, 2003 12:31     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No shit! I see they have a North American tour lined up but the closest it gets to me is San Francisco! Been heavily getting into these guys!
iancstewart
VoivodFan
Member # 212

posted February 27, 2003 16:35     Profile for iancstewart   Email iancstewart     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what was funny at the Cleveland gig was when they came out for the encore, he introduced it as "some brutal fucking death metal," and said that he wanted everyone moshing and going crazy.

But like, even their "brutal fucking death" song has three soft parts! I love this band.

They tap the same nerves in me as Voivod. Lots of unexpected little shit.

iancstewart
VoivodFan
Member # 212

posted February 27, 2003 16:38     Profile for iancstewart   Email iancstewart     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And "Advent" live was totally ridiculous. Amazing. Opeth rules.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 05, 2003 09:05     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm definitely going to see them whenever they come my way next. I really like the way that Mikael has a great death metal growl, but he also has a very good 'melody' voice as well. My favourite album is 'Still Life'.
prozak666
VoivodFan
Member # 236

posted April 14, 2003 15:42     Profile for prozak666   Email prozak666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree. The worship of Opeth in the metal community explains why prog-rock fans disdain metalheads as musically illiterate.
http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000107

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 14, 2003 17:03     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh... who cares. I'm also kind of a prog-geek and Opeth very much appeals to me on other levels than just as a metal band.

I understand the irritation people feel when critics fall all over themselves to praise some band (deserved or not), while hundreds, if not thousands of other bands remain uncreditied or underappreciated concerning their contributions to heavy music. Do Opeth deserve all this credit? I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

Interesting thread/link Prozack... but all in all a little too hardcore for me. I personally think a some 'bastardization' of metal (or any music) is healthy to a certain degree, regardless of where Opeth falls into this catagory.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 14, 2003 18:16     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozak666:
I agree. The worship of Opeth in the metal community explains why prog-rock fans disdain metalheads as musically illiterate.
http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000107

The usual, tired bollocks.

And all because they don't support NS.

prozak666
VoivodFan
Member # 236

posted April 14, 2003 18:59     Profile for prozak666   Email prozak666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bastardization is great if you want to be assimilated.

Opeth and NS - well, that's a complicated question, and one that (obviously) requires a different forum.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 14, 2003 19:17     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metal is a bastardization of rock music, which is essentially came out a mixing of other aspects of jazz, country, soul, folk, classical, and many other areas of musical evolution.

If you like metal, than by your own interpretation you have been assimilated!

prozak666
VoivodFan
Member # 236

posted April 14, 2003 20:46     Profile for prozak666   Email prozak666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metal instrumentation came from those genres, but not necessarily the music itself. It's clearly a separate artform in the means of composition it uses.
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html

Further, you're wrong - logically speaking. That which assembles itself from different things and creates something distinctive has not been assimilated, but the opposite.

And yes, you do have to be illiterate or stupid to make that mistake

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 14, 2003 22:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yawn! Tell it to your next drive through customer... I simply don't care enough to hold a discussion with you. Your arrogance seems to be an apparent personality flaw that overshadows your intelligence.
prozak666
VoivodFan
Member # 236

posted April 15, 2003 00:38     Profile for prozak666   Email prozak666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Erudite response - not.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan