my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Experiment   » New geetar

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New geetar
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 02, 2007 15:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a new axe during boxing week. A 2005 Jackson DK2 in trans black. Lovely little thing I just had to show off.

I was originally looking to buy a 7 string, but this was a great deal I couldn't pass up.

I'm keeping it tuned to D standard. Each of my guitars is tuned differently, so I don't have to fuck around tuning.

I will most likely change the chrome hardware to black over the next few months, starting with the knobs and strap buttons, then tuners, then slap in a black OFR. I kinda like the stock pickups, but I may swap them out too. I need to give my ears more time to adjust to this guitar.

It has a really bright tone that I love. Not as thick as my Model 3, which is my main axe. The clean tones on the neck and neck/middle pickups are fucking awesome, espacially in D tuning.
The fretwork is perfect, as is the neck finish. Not quite as "satin-y" as my KVX10 (sleek and almost bare wood feeling). She's fast that's for sure.

It's very light, which I was surpirsed at. The body is very thin too. I think the neck may weigh more than the body!

My only gripe is a scratchy tone pot and I can see why - the soldering on one contact is pretty sloppy. I haven't ben able to find my soldering kit since we moved this summer, so I may just take it in to the store and have them do it for free on Friday. Saves me the trouble - I'm a pretty amatuer electrician.

All in all, a very good deal for $500. I can't complain at all. I was bitching before that I didn't want "another black strat/soloist", but here I am.

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 05, 2007 13:28     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice geetar man
If you get new pickups, what will you go for?

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted January 05, 2007 14:13     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice geetar!

About the pot, here's some info from the Seymour Duncan site:

Scratchy Pots
Here's a quick test to determine if your potentiometers need to be replaced or just cleaned. With the guitar plugged in, try turning the scratchy pot back and forth quickly a few times. If the scratchiness starts to lessen, then the pot needs cleaning. If the scratchy sound doesn't go away or sounds more like a "click," then the pot needs to be replaced.

To clean dirty pots, you'll need a spray cleaner or lubricant commonly available at any electronics parts store. With the guitar unplugged and the pots exposed, give the pot one shot of spray through the opening in the back of the cover that protects the pot. The access hole is small, but by using the tube supplied with the spray can, the spray will reach inside the pot. One shot should suffice. Let it set for about 10 seconds and hen rotate the pot back and forth quickly. Plug the guitar back in and give it a test. The noise should be gone or reduced significantly. If there is still some scratchiness, unplug the guitar and repeat the process one more time. If the scratchy sound doesn't go away at this point, it's probably a bad pot and it'll need to be replaced. Just a note of caution -- before you spray anything in or around your guitar, protect the paint job by putting a towel or old T-shirt around the body.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 06, 2007 15:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seeate: It's definetly not a dirty pot. Shoddy soldering, that's all. I dropped it off at the shop today and they'll have it ready for me Monday.

Vroom: I'm not quite sure what I would replace it with yet. Perhaps a Dimarzio X2N; I like the nice bright tone of them and they look badass.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted January 07, 2007 12:31     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dinky? i have one i picked u in a pawn shop. thought it was cool, then the electronics showed their true colours! damn foreign Jackons! It's got the "duncan" desined pu's and a sustaniac which is cool when it works. Still need to get it repaired. Love the feel of the neck! It's got knobs and switches, but only 2 tones! loud is one and crappy is the other! Idid see a used American made Jackson the other day for $899 US! damn thing is fine!
Sorry i have no foto of my Dinky.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan