my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Experiment   » Recording advice

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recording advice
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted July 28, 2003 16:41     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since Mez and Kula are working hard on the first TGTASE songs i feel that it's about god damn time to get my own crap into order here.

I'm on a tight budget and am probably going to record straight into the comp one way or another. Or if i'm lucky i find myself a cheap Porta or something.

EKH, have you got that V-Amp 2 yet? If so, how is it?

What do i need? a Mixer, Behringer sells stuff cheap.
Kula has a Boss BR8, Mez uses Roland, mucho dineras, but looks good.
If i buy a good soundcard, don't i still need some kind of pre-amp along with it?

Any advice is good advice folks

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted July 30, 2003 12:20     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks NV.
Got off the train from work today and jumped on the bike. But the bastard stopped in front of a musicstore here.
I came out with a Behringer UB 1002, it was only at 5$ more than for the 802 so i went for the bigger instead.
A new toy in the house

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 31, 2003 12:58     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ant:
Although my home recording setup is very limited I found a no-hassle way of at least getting stuff down on the hard drive. POD 2.0 straight into the Soundblaster Live Value (about $30), it's not a real amp but you can't beat the convenience and I live in an apartment so miking an amp is out of the question. For software I use N-Track Studio. Simple inerface, only about $40 to register but you can try it for free. A few tweaks of the Windows sound control panel and you are in multi-tracking heaven. The only thing missing is a drum machine. I have used Fruity Loops but it is a real pain to do anything even remotely non-linear with it. Any recommendations for drum machines?

Overall it's a nice recording scratch pad. If I feel that I come up with something great I will invest in a better setup, but that has not happened yet.

Similar to what I'm going for. The Pod and small mixer are my next purchases. For now running my geetar thru my Boss SE-50 is okay, but like I said earlier I need the mixer for that boost.

As for drum machines, there's a couple of really good ones that I'd recommend: The Alisis SR-16 and the Boss DR 770. The Boss unit is a bit pricey (@$650.00 Canadian) but is very versatile. The SR-16 can be found used for @ $200.00 Canadian. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for that one coz it sounds real good.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted August 01, 2003 11:20     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warcorpse, do you have anything you've recorded with it so I could hear some real world samples? It would be greatly appreciated. Is it $200 better than the Alesis?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 01, 2003 11:47     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My drum machine is called a Kula1000.

Cost: Priceless

Even comes with a mustache.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 01, 2003 15:49     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All you guys and your damn Drum Machines!
Drummers are a dime-a-dozen. Go find one!
(Be sure to supply a lot of beer though.)

No, Mez...I am the Kula9000. New and updated version.
And i have a Goatee now instead of a Moustache.
Folks areound here call it "Prison Pussy" though.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 03, 2003 17:41     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
All you guys and your damn Drum Machines!
Drummers are a dime-a-dozen. Go find one!
(Be sure to supply a lot of beer though.)

Yes they are a dim-a-dozen, but if we had REAL ones, then we'd have to listen to their insane rantings and feed them the beer which we require for ourselvs.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 04, 2003 11:14     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Insain rantings?

I take it you have been reading my posts in the Political section.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan