my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » The Prow   » I am completely crushed...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am completely crushed...
alicecooper
VoivodFan
Member # 204

posted August 29, 2005 19:18     Profile for alicecooper   Email alicecooper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just heard 3 hours ago about the passing of my all time favorite musician and someone who I considered a friend, Denis.
I first met him in 93 on the outer limits tour and got to hang out with him for much of the day, this was a dream come true for me at the time, a 19 year old kid who for the past few years had been totaly obsessed with Voivod and the undeniably unique style of Denis.
Hung out with him again later that year when they came to town to open for Fight. It was 20 degrees below zero outside here in Minnesota, yet Piggy was sweet enough to spend time with me outside as I took pictures and gave him a gift me and a friend made for him.
In 95 my band opened for Voivod on the Negatron tour, a mega dream come true for me, again, although all the Voivod guys are great, I spent alot of time hanging out with Piggy.
Later that year Voivod opened for Pro Pain I got to the show late and as it wasn't much of a crowd I walked backstage and saw Piggy, he turned to me and said " Hey, it's the guy with the cool green Gibson SG that he paint himself !" (the guitar I played as my band opened for VV a few months earlier) I was in heaven !! Again, hanging out with Piggy was a high point of my life !
Fast forward to the Voivod comeback with Snake and Jason, after another dream come true (seeing voivod with snake again) I again talked to Denis and after the show WE WENT TO MY HOUSE !!! And I got to give Piggy "the cool green Gibson SG that he paint himself !" I GAVE him my custom lime green 1978 Gibson SG, because it was a way, the only way I knew to repay a little bit of what he gave to me over the many years of being a Voivod fanatic. I will always treasure the night Piggy was at my house, so great full, so thankfull I gave him a guitar. (not that he needed it, but I know he really liked that guitar)
Had the pleasure again of spending time with him at Ozzfest, as I think back of the last time I will ever see him I remember how carefree and happy he was, and how happy I was to see Voivod with a huge crowd and alot of attention that they (as we all know) so rightfully deserve.
I've had to stop many times in writing this to cry. I looked at my stack of Piggy signed vinyl and burst into tears as I read the things he wrote. I held a green goofy shaped pick he used that says Voivod on one side and PIGGY on the other.
I am so lucky to have spent time with him as I did.
THANK YOU GOD FOR PIGGY.
I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU !!!

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 29, 2005 19:39     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a great story to have read, thanks for sharing! So far from all the personal stories I've read about Denis, he's been so cool and sincere to everyone he's met! Not a "mean" or "condescending" bone in his body! That's a rarity among people.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted August 30, 2005 00:29     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx for sharing your story. I wonder if he played the SG on the new demos?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 30, 2005 18:40     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Awesome story! Denis is someone I spent a little time with also and had a similar experience as you. Always soft-spoken and had a touch of the jovial spirit about him. Even when I last saw him at the Ozzfest...it was cool that he remembered me. In any case, I've been reading everyone's stories, comments, remembrances, thank yous, etc.
There are some cool as fuck folks out in the Multi-Verse!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan