my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » The Prow   » Piggy's Gear -- Creating My Tribute and Seeking Tone (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Piggy's Gear -- Creating My Tribute and Seeking Tone
Curse of Truth
VoivodFan
Member # 644

posted August 30, 2005 00:02     Profile for Curse of Truth   Email Curse of Truth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been listening to nothing other than Voivod since Saturday, just soaking in Piggy and the rest of the guys. Devestated by the news yes, but he is still continuing to inspire me in a positive way. That is all any of us could ever ask for and a true testiment to his skill as a player, a musician, and as a man (met him once and was super nice!). After all these years, I am still amazed by especially Dimension Hatross and Nothingface. When I was a bass player, Blackie was (and still is) one of my favorites along with Geddy, Geezer, and Burton. Piggy will always be one of my favorite guitar players.

Well onto the topic, I started writing a tribute to Piggy the other night when I was still in shock and was fooling around with my effects and became curious as to the gear he used, especially amps and effects. Does someone have a link or that info? I am sure its buried on this board somewhere, but a shortcut would be nice. If eras are in question -- Dimension through Outer Limits (I know thats a long time). I'm going to do a little four track and will post once complete.

Thanks.. And Denis, rest in peace my brother..

--------------------

Brian H. - Guitars
Curse of Truth

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 30, 2005 00:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good question...I'm not sure this has been asked before. Has it??? I wonder why? Think we've danced around it but never actually gotten specific. But based on what Blacky did with his bass equipment....I shudder to think what Piggy did with his tools. Hmmm...I do believe I submitted a Guitar World article here that touched on this let me look for it.......

Ahhh, yes, this is fairly specific down at the bottom..but quite a good ripping article about the master himself..check it out:

PIGGYSGENIUS

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 30, 2005 10:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoa, thanks Mez!
great article...great infos...great Man

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted August 30, 2005 10:54     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The last session he ever did was with Aut'Chose in May. In studio, he had nothing but his two Gibson SG (the white and the red), and that Marshall Amp, the same model mention in the GW article. But what sound he made out of this basic rack! He truly did his Voivod thing on a lot of songs. Notably, his solo on En Arriere du Micro.
Souvenirs...

I'll tried to get more infos from Jacques, the guitarist of Aut'Chose this week. There was a real bound between, veverybody in the band could feel it.

Ronald Mc Gregor

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

troyvod
VoivodFan
Member # 112

posted August 31, 2005 17:24     Profile for troyvod   Email troyvod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
every other time i saw a photo of piggy he had a different guitar, The early custom jobs, Ibanez steve Vai, SG's, a Les Paul, a few different Strats, i'm sure there is more. I remember him playing my telecaster and saying he hadn't played too many of them....
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted September 04, 2005 10:56     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK. After the funeral of Piggy I came back to Montreal with Jacques Racine, guitarist for Aut'Chose. I asked him about the gear he was using - at least for Aut'Chose.

"His Marshall 900 something and the 2 Gibson SG, the white and the red. No effects. Directly plug in the head amplifier. HIS HANDS created that sound, awsome sound. I'm kind of jealous... After 40 years of playing, touring and recording, I can't come with such a way of playing. I learned a lot from him."

That's all I could get. "No effects' for the Aut'Chose projetct. And his sound was so important on all tracks of the CD. He left a strong imprint on us all. A master, nothing less.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE

Curse of Truth
VoivodFan
Member # 644

posted September 04, 2005 14:31     Profile for Curse of Truth   Email Curse of Truth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I figured that that an aweful lot of his sound just came from his playing style, few players ever rach that level. It is quite a distinction. It seems that when I saw them on the Outer Limits tour that he had a vast array of effects going, but I could be mistaken. That was a long time ago and I was in the middle of a long musical break, I didn't play for 12 years and didn't really care about gear at the time (and I was still a bassist who had not yet turned into a guitarist), I was just happy to watch the band and was focused on jamming and having a great time!

--------------------

Brian H. - Guitars
Curse of Truth

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 06, 2005 04:33     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember reading I don't know where that Piggy used to build his own effects but I'm agree that his unique sound coming mostly by his way of playing and not much by his gear.
Kerry King would never be able to play like Piggy even with the same gear!!
And also I remember he uses very thin strings about 0.8.
For the tone I think it's very difficult to obtain a sound distortion and clean at the same time (it's years I'm tryiin...).
The hard thing is perhaps to let hear clear the dissonant chords:

-------------------
-------------------
--3--3--6--6-------
--3--3--6--6------- ecc...
--2--2--5--5-------
-------------------

I know that with Line6 Pod there are some patches that could simulate very well the tone of Piggy.

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted September 06, 2005 11:19     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pggy created a couple of things for his sound in the 80s.

Recently, I only saw him with nothing. But he was TRULY impressed with the big stompbox Jacques Racine just bought in december, the VOX Valvetronix Tonelab SE. We called that THING, the flying saucer. Piggy was staring and listening at the Vox until after a couple of minutes, he said, "I want one!". He didn't need it with Aut'Chose, his own sound complemented so much/so well Jacque's sound, you could say they were meant to each other. En tout cas, they were the greatest pair of guitarist we had in Quebec and the fisrt.

Link :

VOX AMPS

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE

mefisto
VoivodFan
Member # 666

posted September 09, 2005 06:31     Profile for mefisto   Email mefisto     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello geezers,

being a tone fanatic, and worshipping Pig´s sound (which is very difficult to emulate by the way) I hunted down an Eventide H3000 and a Yamaha SPX 90 II.

Both of which i know for a fact were essential pieces of equipment for producing the incredible spacey reverb and delays heard in the Outer Limits album thanks to Pig and Mark Berry.

Im not quite sure wether the same equipment was used in albums pre Outer Limits however.

if you want to achieve Pig´s exact sound you would have to have his ¨third ear¨ and musical vision and technical knowledge.

i own the H3000 and SPX90II and im still nowhere near Pig´s sound. his combination of fx, amp, guitar/pickups and ofcourse his technique are practically impossible to emulate.

I would love to spend a few hours with his technician if he even needed one or the studio engineers/producers he worked with that must have been key to helping VOIVOD achieve their sonic mission.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 11, 2005 06:49     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mefisto:
Hello geezers,

being a tone fanatic, and worshipping Pig´s sound (which is very difficult to emulate by the way) I hunted down an Eventide H3000 and a Yamaha SPX 90 II.

Both of which i know for a fact were essential pieces of equipment for producing the incredible spacey reverb and delays heard in the Outer Limits album thanks to Pig and Mark Berry.

Im not quite sure wether the same equipment was used in albums pre Outer Limits however.

if you want to achieve Pig´s exact sound you would have to have his ¨third ear¨ and musical vision and technical knowledge.

i own the H3000 and SPX90II and im still nowhere near Pig´s sound. his combination of fx, amp, guitar/pickups and ofcourse his technique are practically impossible to emulate.

I would love to spend a few hours with his technician if he even needed one or the studio engineers/producers he worked with that must have been key to helping VOIVOD achieve their sonic mission.

I admire your "musical-knowledge", and I think your user no. "666" could be considered special in some sort of way, but please refrain from referring to Denis as "pig", yes he was also known as Piggy. I'm almost positive it wouldn't take that much more effort to "type" in 2 more letters.

Thanks.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

mefisto
VoivodFan
Member # 666

posted September 12, 2005 07:53     Profile for mefisto   Email mefisto     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok black coud, i didnt see the problem at the time, but now i can. from now on i will refrain from using the shortened version and use the more appropriate PIGGY.

hope my first post helped...and i didnt even realise my member number #666...that is odd!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 12, 2005 09:11     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Odd? dOOd, #666 is awesome!
Wanna trade?

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 12, 2005 14:31     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have often tried to get something similar to Piggy's War And Pain sound out of my POD, but to no avail. Modified Marshalls and whatever pup's were in his Liberatores gave him a unique sound. I can get close to his Outer Limits sound and even the Angel Rat tone, but not quite. I'm getting the POD XT LIVE next week and the Metal Pack, so there will be plenty of tonal experimentation going on. I'm planning to record a Voivod cover (probably The Prow but that could change) and post it online as a tribute to my favorite axeman of all time.

Btw, I can get an awesome Blower Bass tone out of the POD using the Soldano head and a 4x12 cabinet. (setting 5A, remove the delay, add some room reverb and dial in the drive). Very similar to Killing Technology tone.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 12, 2005 15:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been hoping some of the musicians here would start posting some covers of their fav Voivod songs as a tribute to our hero

can't wait to hear it Nuc.

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 12, 2005 19:28     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mefisto:
ok black coud, i didnt see the problem at the time, but now i can. from now on i will refrain from using the shortened version and use the more appropriate PIGGY.

hope my first post helped...and i didnt even realise my member number #666...that is odd!

Dude, sorry if I came across as a "dink", I was buzzing hardcore at the time I wrote it, listening to a mixture of Voivod tunes didn't help as well...I just got a tad bit rubbed the wrong way.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 12, 2005 19:33     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
using the Soldano head

What are you fricken rich or something?

I know the girls in "Hell's Belles" (the all-girl AC/DC tribute band), and they happen to be endorsed by Soldano...well, they actually know the dude who makes them. (forget his first name, but his last name is Soldano, ha!) He's from around here anyway.(Seattle)

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 13, 2005 00:53     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Black Cloud:
What are you fricken rich or something?

Far from it! No, the POD has an emulation of am 89 Soldano head. Great for Metal.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 13, 2005 05:34     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think 50% of Piggys tone and sound came from the way he picked and strummed his chords, and its a detail that can't be ignored. Just as with most guitarist, that is where most of your 'feel' comes from.

Just look at the second solo in this video, i mean the guy is hardly fretting any chords but his strumming never stops.

http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0AWINNIZ0WQQ1C044QCKVYSQ3

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted September 13, 2005 09:50     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hatross wrote :

quote:
I think 50% of Piggys tone and sound came from the way he picked and strummed his chords, and its a detail that can't be ignored. Just as with most guitarist, that is where most of your 'feel' comes from.

It's true with Piggy - a 100%!

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE

troyvod
VoivodFan
Member # 112

posted September 14, 2005 16:59     Profile for troyvod   Email troyvod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I asked Piggy about his style on their australian tour. In between cones he picked up my Telecaster that was lying around and couldn't understand why people thought it so hard! It didn't look hard either but i couldn't really match it(i've been playing 20 years too).
He doesn't often use power chords or strums notes in the higher register.
I've noticed the bass seemed to hold the root on most Voivod records and he'd float over the top. unlike most guitarists(myself included) that come from the Black Sabbath way of riffs and powerchords.

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 15, 2005 03:18     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I've been hoping some of the musicians here would start posting some covers of their fav Voivod songs as a tribute to our hero

That's my very little contribution to the cause...(Brain Scan)
http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3P748FCZB99FJ33EDWHW9ZF8AO

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 15, 2005 07:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MARCO... GREAT FUCKIN JOB ! ! !

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 15, 2005 10:29     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mey marco! That is awesome. Is that you singing? ohhh, the accent...it's to die for!

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 15, 2005 11:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice work Marco! Pretty close on with those piggy riffs!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan