my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Project X   » Eric Forrest interview in Aardschok !!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eric Forrest interview in Aardschok !!
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 17, 2003 06:54     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Everybody. I read this in Aardschok magazine. I thought you'd like to read this.

----->>

E-Force Reconquering the Throne

The Canadian Voivod had to throw Eric Forrest out to get reunited with Deni ‘Snake’Belanger. A half year later this reunion can be seen as a commercial failure. The fans of the older Voivod-tunes can now go to E-force, the new thrashband around Eric Forrest. Aardschok speaks with him after his constrain left and the birth of his new band.

Aardschok:
Before we talk about E-Force we want to know why you left Voivod.

Eric:
First I want to say that I worked with Voivod for seven years with a lot of pleasure. At a bandmeeting in 2001 things went wrong. They told me Voivod would continue as a project and not as a band anymore. The others wanted to take a break so I went looking for bandmembers to form my own band. My goal is to play as much as possible, I do not want to play in a band that plays every now and then.

Aardschok:
Did you feel fucked when Voivod came with Jason Newsted, Voivod did not appear to go further as a project but as a band together with Snake

Eric:
In the beginning yes, but I have forgiven them. When they played with Ozzy in Montreal we drank some beers together and decided to bury the past. Time heals all wounds and I can concentrate on my new band E-force.

Aardschok:
Where did you find the musicians for E-Force

Eric:
After I oriented to far from home I came to my friends Danny Lauzon (guitar) and Bryan Donahue (Guitar). I knew them from before Voivod and we always wanted to do some stuff together. Now was the time to bundle our forces and to unite E-Force. We have the same ideas about how metal should sound like.

Aardschok:
With computerbeats?

Eric:
Touche. Our two demo’s are with computer drums but on our album Evil Forces you can hear Louis levesque on drums. We have given him all freedom to make his own sound but he decided to orient to the earlier beats.

Aardschok:
So this is why E-Force sounds a little industrial.

Eric:
Exactly. We love bands like Ministry and we all are Slayer fans and there you have it. Evil Forces was recorded and mixed in only 10 days because much songs were ready before we went into the studio.

Aardschok:
Where do you sing about in E-Force.

Eric:
The subjects are divers but the red thread is the evil texts. “Forest of the Impaled” is about Vlad Tepes, Dracula. It is more a fantasy text comparing to songs like “Disorder” or Crypto-Sporidium” . In “Global Warning”are some black metal influences. We never planned that but it just happened. It gives the album a different turn.

Aardschok:
Personal question. Did you ever think that you would be working so quickly after the split with Voivod

Eric:
To be honest, I worked my ass off for 100%. I am glad it all went so fast. A CD from my other band “project Failing flesh” will come out very fast now. This is a more traditional combo with thrash influences and keyboard samples.

Aardschok:
Last but not least, what do you think of the last Voivod CD?

Eric:
To be honest I heard only the promo which I believe contains 4 songs. What I heard was more alternative music then Rock. Voivod has always been its time ahead and made CDs that did not measure up to everyone’s expectations but I am a fan of their older work. We will be playing some Voivod songs live. The ones I worked on of course.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 17, 2003 07:59     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, Paul, that was a great interview!

There is a peculiar part of it, though, that I think some people should read and think about.

quote:
Originally posted by paul:
When (Voivod) played with Ozzy in Montreal we drank some beers together and decided to bury the past. Time heals all wounds (...)

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted November 17, 2003 18:12     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was a friggin piece of shyte!

Time to revive the Voivod Hater thread?

"Can be seen as a commercial failure"
-piss off, dickweed.

That was a great album. The best Voivod record perhaps, in some ways.

The guy who wrote that is a dweeb with some axe to grind. Nerd.

The Devil's Advocate
VoivodFan
Member # 92

posted November 18, 2003 03:21     Profile for The Devil's Advocate   Email The Devil's Advocate     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhary:
That was a great album. The best Voivod record perhaps, in some ways.

great album perhaps, but the best Voivod record... no way!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 18, 2003 11:48     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed. 15,000 copies sold can't be viewed as a "major hit" or something. Well, on the other hand, maybe a major hit on Jasonic's pocket...

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted November 18, 2003 15:38     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paul and Hex-you shut the fuck up

The guys a dick. Just because the album didn't get much sales, doesn't mean its a failure. It made some ground for the band getting on Ozzfest and a step in the right direction for the band.

FOAD

He didn't happen to mention that Phobos and
Negatron didn't sell with Forrest, but that only the "re-union" was a failure.

Some fucking low standards for journalism you guys got. No wonder America is so fucked up. You believe in some bullshit anyone feeds you. Did you vote for Bush?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 18, 2003 15:48     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
allright, this is not my conversation.

BUT ENOUGH WITH THE STEREOTYPING AMERICA SHIT !

i mean damn man what the fuck is goin on lately? is everyone on the fucking rag or something?

-------------
time to change my pad

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 18, 2003 15:49     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mass Turbation.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 18, 2003 16:01     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
apologies...

i bought one a these today

shit gets me hot.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 18, 2003 16:15     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Hippo's didn't vote Bush at all, but they seem to like the new Voivod album, being it a commercial failure or not (as if they would give a shit anyway).

And for anyone thinking Aardschok is a serious Metal Zine: they gave Limp Bizcunt 70 out of 100.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted November 18, 2003 16:53     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would be curious to know where you guys get the sales figures?

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted November 18, 2003 17:23     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW - I looked up the E-force album on Amazon and under "customers who shopped for this item also shopped for these items" was the album "Heads Are Gonna Roll" by The Hippos.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

The Devil's Advocate
VoivodFan
Member # 92

posted November 19, 2003 03:54     Profile for The Devil's Advocate   Email The Devil's Advocate     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhary:
It made some ground for the band getting on Ozzfest and a step in the right direction for the band.

sorry but I don't think it is the case...
the band certainly headed in a right(er) direction when they toured with Sepultura or even if they had toured with Nile last year...
they should be where the metal is you see, but Ozzfest/Ozzy...
I wouldn't say it is the right direction, at least for Voïvod!

PS. but as long as the *band* are OK with this, I'll get over it...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 19, 2003 06:47     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am glad most of you agree to this matter.

I agree with Yahri that people should not listen to what others say and take over their opinion rightaway. People could have their own opinion if they think hard enough. Unfortunately this is not the case with most of people.

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 19, 2003 06:53     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh sorry Jahry i meant Jhary ofcourse.
By the way the journalist is not American you silly person. He is Dutch and we also do not vote for Bush but for Jan Peter Balkenende who happens to be a Voivodfan also
Is that not true Angelrat??

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted November 19, 2003 10:37     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,
did see Jan Peter at the TOL gig in Brunssum
Or whas is Harry Potter

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 19, 2003 16:56     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JP appears to be a HUGE 'Vodfan. He might as well be active on this board. I'm dying to know his username. Saw him when 'Vod supported Neurosis. Stagediving. With his broomstick. Some hippos tried to catch him but he flew away laughing. To form a new cabinet. Horses and poodles weren't allowed in this.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 20, 2003 08:08     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.rnw.nl/hotspots/html/bal020517.html

I was just wondering who you were talking about!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 20, 2003 09:10     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just found this review on Bravewords which I thought was pretty good:

E-FORCE Evil Forces (Seasons Of Mist)

After a van accident that could very well have been fatal and an acrimonious split with Voivod, Eric Forest has re-couped to the point of recording again. Going under the moniker E-Force and re-building in Montreal, Forest's new band is a dual, differing animal, as witnessed by a stage show that is Phobos on crack, but a studio session that is wholly inspired by Mercyful Fate (it seems 'Curse Of The Pharoahs' is now known as 'Forest Of The Impaled'). Evil Forces is death metal to be sure, definitely cool for fans of latter-years Voi, and straight-forward enough to appeal to rogue thrashers who got put on a weird, schism-like tangent somewhere along the way.

7.0 David Perri

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted November 23, 2003 08:48     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is any of this E-Force stuff available for download? I'd like to hear a sample before I purchase...
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 24, 2003 07:01     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saturday i bought the Evil Forces albom. It is great. In the Credits-part he also thanks Away and Piggy.

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan