my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Chewy fait banane

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chewy fait banane
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted October 23, 2019 14:09     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi I'm just reposting here what I put on the "Voivodians fb", so it will leave a small trace. I dare this fuckin guy to answer or any of them for the madder of fact. They are working very hard to erase me it seem. Am I a little paranoid here, please tell me.

I was very disturb by the interview Banane (Chewy) did in 2018 for Decibel in which he implied that he wrote many of the songs for Target Earth and did most of the arrangements, leaving me with basically no credit, which is far from the true, since most of the song, except for Mechanical and Kluskap, were actually composed and arrange on bass and he simply just had to wrote his parts, I still have all the original recordings that prove just that. But the major insult was when he talk about me having moved to MTL with no job...etc. Who the fuck is he, anyway...just a fuckin session musician working for Away and emulating the original writers. Ok I've said enough, someone will probably complain and delete my post...to the fuckin death I say.

Banane' interview

|  IP: Logged
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted October 23, 2019 14:27     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, me again to be fair here a pretty good interview he did in 2013, that is a more honest one. And of course that is before everything got screwed up...always because of ...

VOIVOD guitarist Daniel “Chewy” Mongrain on joining his favorite band,”Target Earth” LP

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 26, 2019 15:34     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"At the time, Blacky hadn’t touched a bass since he left Voivod seventeen years prior, so I had to teach him to play again. It was a lot of work. I went to his place and told him where to put his fingers, even on his own songs, and we became friends and played the show."

I'd like to hear your side of this JY.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 04, 2019 14:15     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh you know, having put 3 albums after the band and work with various artists and played various instruments including, yes a bass guitar, does not count I suppose. What tick me off was just the way he says it. Yes I couldn't remember the songs completely, some part of it actually, the fingers placing came back gradually, but we both work and questions some of the parts, he himself had to do some listening and try and error, that was for the blackcloud project, we played Tribal, which isn't hard to remember, but we also had to learn many other band songs, Slayer, Celtic Frost, Possessed, etc. So yes he showed me some of those quickly. All sort of details that you skip and that you can't tell when you are perfect. It's just how, he and they, cause they all do that too, minimize my work, my contribution.

On Target Earth I came with most of the structure including some arrangement on my own. I have all the early tapes that show just that, song structures with a simple bass line from start to finish. He (banane) did work with me before we started to officially work on a new VV album, but he forgot about it, I give him at the time 3 songs for a project with a friend of mine, he did one guitar track on one song, that song didn't endup on Target Earth. For Target Earth I had close to 20 songs to choose from. Then I give lots of instructions and story ideas to Snake for the lyrics, that's why that album is more political, more punk, more older vv style, That was my influence in that aspect. I saw what he also wrote on the Target Earth tab book. I feel odd talking about that sometime, cause it sound a little surreal. In studio I pretty much did all the production, some which Pierre did at first but after 3 to 5 days I told him that I would be fine to do the rest, so I did, setting sound for bass, guitar and vocal. Pierre and I did a quick plan on how we would do the session, we work together before and I like him a lots, he is very good engineer and producer. We also had a drummer (technician) that set the drum and tune it up the first day, cause you know, pros don't touch their drums, Everyday before a the recording started I tune it up a little (it goes down at night ;-)). I spend alone 3 days doing my bass tracks. Banane came only a few days at the time to do his guitar tracks, he didn't help much, perhaps a few hours with Snake at the end coaching him with me, he was too busy with work apparently, this created odd situations but he never mention those. The only photo we have in the studio of all of us, he is not there. He took a bunch of selfy that he put online, so people think he was really present, good trick of his. We had much problem with the manager that did not follow on promises, anyway I won't say more but it will come up some days, I can promise you that. My side of the saga will be told, even if no one want to hear it ( that's a crack to a bunch of voivodian that can't handle the true) How's that for a single response H?

quote:
Originally posted by h:
"At the time, Blacky hadn’t touched a bass since he left Voivod seventeen years prior, so I had to teach him to play again. It was a lot of work. I went to his place and told him where to put his fingers, even on his own songs, and we became friends and played the show."

I'd like to hear your side of this JY.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 05, 2019 14:18     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember you sharing some of those recordings way before you rejoined, so that makes alot more sense! It's strange - and a little sad - that ex-bandmembers fall out, but I understand how it happens. Thanks for the response. Your contribution to my musical upbringing will never be forgotten!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted November 08, 2019 21:37     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any Voďvod fan knows better. Interviewers have a way with making the interviewee comfortable enough to talk shit and make a few regrettable statements. That's what gets the splash.

Every album you played on resonates with your fingerprints.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 11, 2019 13:51     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are right, that's why I don't give interviews or at least not often. That was a big issue for me in the past, I think doing too much of those can't work against you.

quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Any Voďvod fan knows better. Interviewers have a way with making the interviewee comfortable enough to talk shit and make a few regrettable statements. That's what gets the splash.

Every album you played on resonates with your fingerprints.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted February 24, 2022 14:24     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know the bad blood was always between me and Away. Not sure why exactly but slowly it got worst and worst. Away was often surrounded with people telling him all the time that he was a genius, maybe that got over his head a little. It all exploded during the final year in 1991, the AR period. We were leaving together but the man was as detach as ever, then the MWH project came along and that is where he thought he would bring celebrity and stardom to the rest of us. I feel sorry for him cause we all know it did not happen and it's probably better that way. It would have been some kind of monster for sure.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 03, 2022 20:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool. My first post after like what 3 years? Hell yeah!

I've been enjoying following this. Damn, so crazy. ....MWH project? What was this sir? Man, I'd love to catch up with you again.
Its been sooooo freaking long. Seems like another lifetime.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 23, 2022 19:01     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy cow! Lee!!! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondered what you were up to? Hope all is well!

I believe that MWH = Men Without Hats, seeing that Away did play on their Sideways album circa 1991.

Sadly, this place is pretty quiet anymore.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 25, 2022 19:17     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mike, how are you? Man, good to see you on here again! Ah yes, Men Without Hats...forgot about that little episode.
What am I up to? I wouldn't know where to begin. 2021 was a total shit year so hoping 22 will be better. Just trying to keep my head above water you know?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 25, 2022 14:11     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Lee! Hey Mike! We are connceted!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 26, 2022 14:47     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha, ah yes, hello sir. Hope you're doing well these days.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan