my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Build Your Weapon Audio

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Build Your Weapon Audio
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted February 24, 2019 11:03     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi crazies! By now many of you probably knows that I'm starting up a new venture...yep an other one of my crazy ideas. This time it is something that I have done since I was a kid. Electronics...at around 10 or 11 years old a friend of mine and I had ventured into building a spaceship, I mean we tried. We build it from wood and metal sheet taken from an old chalet of cross-country skiing. Then we had this crazy idea of linking it with our mutual lab at each other's house but for that we needed science, so we turn into young scientist connecting with the department of electronics at the Cegep de Jonquiere (the local college school). We bought a few bags of old discarded electronics parts. We had at same occasion the opportunity to visit the site and what we saw really amazed us. We were certain that we could be part of something fantastic. Of course we were very young and naive but it was fun. So we build a communication system between our houses and the spaceship. Unfortunately during the summer we had a storm while we were inside the ship and our dreamy lift-off didn't really goes at plan. The whole thing ended up...you guess it...

This short story brings me back to now and at what! 56, I'm ready to go crazy and make some cool shit for all of the nut cases like me. At first, I'm starting in the pro recording field building boutique module series 500 that I purchase from very reputable designers, all based on the must reliable hardware from the 60s and 70s eras, like CAPI based on old API and AML from NEVE console strips. Then I plan to do something that I thought for a very long time but never got to it. Back in the early days of Voïvod, Piggy and I wanted to build our own gear but never had the mean to do so. We did design our own guitars but not the hardware though. We just used already existing equipment, like Marshall, Boss, Ibanez, Mxr, and so on, to develop our proper sound. So I will finally try to do just that... we'll see.

Build Your Weapon Website

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 25, 2019 09:44     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds awesome JY! Good luck with it all. I'll be keeping an eye out in case anything I could use pops up! Cheers!
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted February 25, 2019 19:48     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah cool Harry. So far I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to come up with, but for sure some cool distortion for guitar and bass and some echo/delay and fx. Basically stuff that made the Voivod sound but all in analog stompbox format I think. Old school stuff.
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 14, 2019 18:45     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is almost ready, my first two designs, the Fast Piggy and Blacky' Blower distortion pedals. Getting to the final stage, hold down and I will soon show you some pictures. I was hoping to start the sale before Xmas, but I don't think I will have enough build before.

Ok here is a photo of the breadboard build for the Fast Piggy.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 17, 2019 16:33     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here inside the Fast Piggy

a quick audio test here

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted January 15, 2020 03:23     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here they are finally, first two prototypes fully build and working.
saegeas
VoivodFan
Member # 1071

posted March 13, 2020 18:10     Profile for saegeas   Email saegeas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is fantastic Blacky, congratulations! I hope some will go for sale, but I'd even rather see the book finished first... Sounds great btw. So this site seems to be teetering on the brink, but wherever you are, I'll be following your public career with interest. Hope you were not too annoyed the Juno came just after your departure. Never lose heart, countless people love you for your contributions to Voivod and your personal touch posting here. I finally came around to the KT album, 30+ years later, too funny ... I've been listening to it over and over for weeks. It is actually the most timeless durable listen of the whole catalogue I believe. Well done! Thank you, always...
-Andy

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted March 21, 2020 18:29     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
La Maléfique, l'écho hurlant, screaming echo.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted May 10, 2020 23:25     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
La Nocive, pretty damn nice reverb.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted May 10, 2020 23:27     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And my newly Ouaouaron...you've got to have it, too cool shit man & woman!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 29, 2020 11:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wowwwww.......been a little while since I've been here. JY has been busy.

Incredible sounds sir.

I'm very interested in the La Maléfique....that's one of the most intriquing delays I think I've ever heard. But these are all awesome. And the Fast Piggy...mamma mia, I've never seen a distortion pedal before with that many options on it. Quite amazing tones.

Hopefully you'll be at NAMM next year!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 29, 2020 13:04     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"spoil" and "behave" AWESOME!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan