my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Blacky’s Morale and Financial Victory over Voïvod’s Ex-Bandmate and Manager

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blacky’s Morale and Financial Victory over Voïvod’s Ex-Bandmate and Manager
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted September 12, 2018 15:18     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Press release – September 12, 2018

Jean-Yves ‘Blacky’ Thériault, ex-bassist and co-founder of metal band Voïvod, have recently been informed by England-based disk company BMG that a sum of 16 000 $ CA which have been intentionally hidden for many years by actual drummer Michel ‘Away’ Langevin and manager James Maclean from Talk’s Cheap Management and AMG Toronto will retrospectively be reimbursed to him. The news have been received with a sense that justice has been done.

Thériault’s own investigation have conducted to the evidence that, following BMG official announcement about a forthcoming re-release, a payment of several thousand dollars was missing. In 2007, Away and Maclean received 7 000 pounds (approximately 14 000 $ CA) in advance for the re-release of three classical 1980’s Voïvod albums Thériault had composed with Denis ‘Piggy’ D’amour – Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology, Dimension Hätross. However, when the band reformed a year later, in 2008, Away and Maclean kept Blacky in ignorance of the fact. His intuition that an advance might have had been paid by BMG to the band in order to prepare the re-release finally turned right. His scrutiny paying off, Blacky comments: “What they did is fraud, as simple as that!”. But this was not the end of his misfortunes with his former band. After a forced departure from Voïvod in 2014, he also discovered that 50 % of his copyright on the acclaimed 2013 album Target Earth he has largely composed had been fraudulently diverted by Away and Maclean into a setup rights management company without any prior consent on his part, an act of misguidance, false representation, and fraud violating the Copyright Act, stresses Thériault.

Voïvod’s ex-bassist have tried to get his hands on other due royalties from both his former band and disk companies involved. “These are my copyright! I will keep on battling until I get every penny they owe me”, Blacky comments. Away and Maclean had always refused to resolve the contentious situation until they have been informed of possible legal actions against them. When still a member of the band, Thériault was kept out of the decision making process. He was also prevent to criticize its outcomes, a rather dubious position against Voïvod’s founder member and major composer. Important disagreements over management and lack of transparency had obscured his last years with his former band, forcing him out in 2014 as a result.

Questioned about whether Denis ‘Snake’ Bélanger and Christine D’amour, rights owner of former guitarist legacy, are aware of the repayment he have been granted with and which they should reclaim as well, Thériault says he unsuccessfully tried to contacting them on that matter during the last months. Unfortunately, none of them replied.

Greater details of the affair will be related in Camera Obscura: lights on Voïvod a forthcoming book (2019) revisiting Blacky’s years with the band. The author, Monica Emond, collaborating with Thériault on the musical project Cœur Atomique, bases her critical bio-essay on at-length interviews and exclusive material.

C’est avec un sentiment de justice rendue que Jean-Yves « Blacky » Thériault, membre fondateur et ancien bassiste du groupe de métal québécois Voïvod, a accueilli la nouvelle du paiement rétroactif d’une somme de 16 000 $ CA par la compagnie de disques BMG dont une partie avait été retenue à son insu par le batteur de la formation, Michel « Away » Langevin, avec la complicité du gérant du groupe, James Maclean de Talk’s Cheap Management et AMG Toronto.

La fraude a été révélée suite aux démarches de l’ancien bassiste auprès de la compagnie BMG basée en Angleterre. De fait, en 2007, Away et Maclean ont reçu une avance de 7 000 livres sterling – l’équivalent de 14 000 $ CA – de la compagnie pour la reparution prévue de trois albums classiques de la formation composés dans les années 1980 par Thériault et Denis « Piggy » D’amour, soit Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology et Dimension Hätross. Lorsque le groupe s’est reformé en 2008, Away et Maclean ont pris soin de tenir le bassiste dans le secret, un mutisme qui a perduré au-delà du départ forcé de Thériault en 2014. Se doutant qu’une somme aurait pu avoir été allouée pour la préparation de cette reparution, l’enquête patiemment menée par Blacky a permis de révéler l’évidence et de rétablir la faute. « Ce qu’ils ont fait, c’est du vol, pur et simple! », s’est-il exclamé à ce propos. Or, le bassiste n’en était pas à une affaire près avec son ancien groupe. Dans les années suivant son départ, il a aussi découvert que 50 % de ses droits d’auteur pour l’album Target Earth qu’il a composé en majeur partie ont été détournés de mauvaise foi par Away et Maclean par le biais d’une société de gestion des droits d’auteur mise sur pied sans son aval, des actes d’abus de confiance, de fausse représentation et de fraude directement en violation de la loi canadienne sur le droit d’auteur, souligne Thériault.

Depuis qu’il a été contraint de quitter le groupe en 2014 à la suite de mésententes quant à la gestion des affaires internes et au manque de transparence, l’ancien bassiste a tenté d’obtenir plusieurs montants impayés auprès de la gérance et des compagnies de disques concernées mais sans succès, jusqu’à tout récemment. La perspective d’une poursuite intentée à l’encontre d’Away et Maclean semble avoir fait débloquer l’affaire. De fait, le duo a toujours refusé à Thériault un droit de regard sur les finances et la gestion internes de Voïvod, une position qui a poussé le compositeur à douter de leur honnêteté et leur bonne foi. « Ce sont mes droits d’auteurs et je vais leur réclamer chaque cenne! », soutient aujourd’hui le bassiste.

Interrogé à l’annonce de la nouvelle du remboursement, Blacky mentionne qu’il ignore si les autres personnes potentiellement concernées par la fraude – Denis « Snake » Bélanger », l’actuel chanteur du groupe, et Christine D’amour, héritière des droits de l’ancien guitariste Denis « Piggy » D’amour – sont au fait qu’un montant leur est également dû. Il a tenté de les contacter à plusieurs reprises à ce sujet au cours des derniers mois mais en vain.

Les détails de l’affaire feront l’objet d’un chapitre de Clair Obscur. Lumière sur Voïvod exposant le récit des années de Blacky au sein du groupe. L’essai biographique que signe Monica Emond, bassiste pour Cœur Atomique avec Thériault, est basé sur une série d’entretiens exhaustifs et de matériel inédit. L’ouvrage paraîtra en 2019.

|  IP: Logged
Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted September 12, 2018 21:49     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am beyond disappointed in Away and co. Voivod has been in my top-5 since the 80s through to today - To hear of this kind of THEFT really sullied my whole view of it all. I knew something was beyond questionable when Blacky got squeezed out, but THIS just cements it. I still love the original material but this business is too much.

I was dubious about Voivod continuing at all once we lost Piggy, I was quite vocal on these pages that a name change was certainly in order. Later, it was only 1) Dan's studious and considerable efforts and talents as a STUDENT of Piggy along with 2) Blacky's return that made it legitimate for me at all.

With Blacky out, I really lost all interest, and had not bought any new material since, until pre-ordering Wake on a fluke. I now regret this.

Here's some rock math:
Voivod minus Blacky equals zero.

Take that to the bank, Away. I'm done with your fake Voivod, have been for years. You can't buy honesty or integrity. I'll eagerly read whatever response "Voivod" has to this issue - I hope to be proven wrong but I'm not seeing any light at the end of this.

Best regards where they belong,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 14, 2018 09:41     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To quote Dave Lombardo: "There's no such thing as friends when it comes to money".
TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted September 14, 2018 12:42     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm very sorry to hear about that ...

But I am looking forward to "Camera Obscura: Lights On Voïvod" now! Thank you very much for reconsidering your view on such a book, Blacky!

--------------------

... we are connected ...

Heino
VoivodFan
Member # 160

posted September 14, 2018 13:04     Profile for Heino   Email Heino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sometimes we need someone who speaks the truth. Thanks Blacky!

--------------------

...To The Death
Heino

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted September 24, 2018 09:51     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately for me the FB Voivodians group removed the post that I had made about the news, many of which though it was inappropriate to talk about things that many consider personal, like money and how people interact in a band, business deal...I myself thing that people are entitle to their own OPINION but that it should not stop other the be able to say what ever they like and at the end if you don't like it, just don't read it. Is that plain and simple enough! Anyway it's funny that the band has not say anything yet, funny but not surprising. A few days before the post (news) was rendered public I try again to reach the management but like most of the time since my departure in 2014, they never replied. Of course I know that they will probably read this post. Hi guys!
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted October 04, 2018 11:52     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Away post a thank you on the voivod.net "Thanks for the good words. We have our own side of the story but we prefer to keep such professional matters private." , after Yuri and some others super fans, posted the blabber accusatory news release, which is wrong, i never accused anyone, and other odd things about me and my relationship with girlfriend (he can't even name someone).
If you have access, cause Yuri don't like people that don't agree with him, you can see the post, if not then it really suck to be persona non grata in this world, LOL

Blacky Royalty issue

At least I know now that Away and hopefully Maclean are aware of my position and will come straight finally and resolve all what is left.

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted August 27, 2019 09:05     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Blacky, how's that bio-essay coming along?
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 27, 2019 10:04     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ynys Trebes:
Hey Blacky, how's that bio-essay coming along?

Sorry it's been pretty laxed this summer, I will work on it more this fall, it is no longer a top priority, not that I don't want to finish it, but there is much else to do and so little time. But it will come out at some point. We have been pushing for later many interviews with close friends and people involved with my activities.

Thanks for caring!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 13, 2019 17:20     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hang in there Jean-Yves! Best of luck man!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 19, 2022 14:37     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and the saga isn't over. Stay tune for more on this extortion...
Nico
VoivodFan
Member # 567

posted February 03, 2023 18:18     Profile for Nico   Email Nico     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still have an alert on my inbox telling me to purchase the book that I keep postponing.

--------------------

PAIN MAKES ME STRONGER EVERYDAY

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 06, 2023 16:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy crap! This is some news. Glad you're finally getting some retribution. Keep us posted man.

On a side note...Does Paulie write the best posts or what? Haha.

Hello to everyone else. Mike & H, shoot me an email sometime. Would love to catch up:

leekit4882@yahoo.com

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted February 17, 2023 22:33     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Holy crap! This is some news. Glad you're finally getting some retribution. Keep us posted man.

On a side note...Does Paulie write the best posts or what? Haha.

Hello to everyone else. Mike & H, shoot me an email sometime. Would love to catch up:

leekit4882@yahoo.com

Yeap I know, it's no fun. Nice to see you here again Mez tho! peace my friend.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan