my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Blacky is gone!!!! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Blacky is gone!!!!
Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted July 11, 2014 07:05     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod Parts Ways With Blacky
 |  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 11, 2014 07:42     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wtf? This is super shitty news!
Stiff
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1484

posted July 11, 2014 07:42     Profile for Stiff   Email Stiff     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
His blower bass was integral part of the sound. I never loved them as much as I did until his departure after Angel Rat and I seriously doubt they will ever release such album as Target Earth without Blacky.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted July 11, 2014 11:15     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's it. I've had enough.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted July 11, 2014 11:39     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stiff:
His blower bass was integral part of the sound. I never loved them as much as I did until his departure after Angel Rat and I seriously doubt they will ever release such album as Target Earth without Blacky.

I can't even fathom new material with another hack bass player. And if I have to endure "Jasonic" again, I'm gone.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 11, 2014 12:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think we can say this is the death knell for the band....I wonder if Dan is gonna stick it out? He's the other piece of the puzzle.....
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 11, 2014 13:05     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod is a particular band with a particular sound, which puts a lot of emphasis on the individual styles of each participant. Hard to comprehend it still being Voivod without Piggy or Blacky involved... especially in regards to songwriting. Target Earth really brought back the angular, more dissonant vibe and seemed to herald the start of another creative era for the band. Really sad to see this cut so short.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Heino
VoivodFan
Member # 160

posted July 11, 2014 13:34     Profile for Heino   Email Heino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I think we can say this is the death knell for the band....I wonder if Dan is gonna stick it out? He's the other piece of the puzzle.....

That's excactly what i thought!
But at all, it's Blacky's decision & from the bottom of my heart i thank him for the wonderfull time and hopefully we will see him again (anywhere, but not only in this forum).

--------------------

...To The Death
Heino

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 11, 2014 16:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Apparently Dan is still in the fold....according to his post on FB.

I knew something bad was going on....it'd just been too long without any concrete news from the band.

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted July 11, 2014 19:00     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will remain open-minded.

They have made great albums without Blacky, Snake, and even Piggy.

Will it be as great as before? No, the band's prime era is all but untouchable. Does that make another form of greatness impossible? Hardly.

Time will tell, but come what may I will be checking it out.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 12, 2014 00:03     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
I will remain open-minded.

They have made great albums without Blacky, Snake, and even Piggy.

Will it be as great as before? No, the band's prime era is all but untouchable. Does that make another form of greatness impossible? Hardly.

Time will tell, but come what may I will be checking it out.

This.

After mulling on the news today I'm sad to hear Blacky has decided to leave, and as a fan since W&P all I can say is that I hope he is okay and wish him well in whatever he does now. I am still fan and will be To The Death, so I wish the band continued enjoyment and much success in creating and performing the best metal that has ever come out of my home and native land.

B.U.C.O.
VoivodFan
Member # 1299

posted July 12, 2014 03:21     Profile for B.U.C.O.   Email B.U.C.O.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shitty news.

--------------------

Flicker, flicker, flicker, flap, POW!

Heino
VoivodFan
Member # 160

posted July 13, 2014 03:30     Profile for Heino   Email Heino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jonquičre en Musique posted at FB (incl. a pic on stage):

quote:
Exclusif: #Voivod a présenté son nouveau bassiste, Rock Laroche, "live" ŕ #JEM2014!

--------------------

...To The Death
Heino

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 13, 2014 18:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They have had, what, 3 different people on bass when Blacky was not in the band, and no offense to any of them because they each brought something to the band; however, NO ONE came close to filling the sound and vibe that Blacky created. There is just something completely unique about what Blacky does that gives Voivod "that" sound. They recaptured it on Target Earth, but without him on the next album I will expect something more in line with Infini, Katorz, or the self titled album. Not that I don't like those album; but there's is definitely something missing.

My vote would be to bring Eric back into the band... that could make for some interesting possibilities.

Whatever happens, I'll be supporting it, buying it, and listening to it.

--------------------

yawn

spudboy
VoivodFan
Member # 78

posted July 13, 2014 23:19     Profile for spudboy   Email spudboy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

My vote would be to bring Eric back into the band... that could make for some interesting possibilities.

That was my thought as well.

And now that I think about it, I've seen Voivod play with 5(!) bass players over the years. The obvious three: Blacky, Eric Forrest, Jason Newsted. The other two are Pierre St John (Outer Limits tour) & Vincent Peake (2002 "reunion" shows in Hamilton & Toronto). Kinda crazy statistic...

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted July 16, 2014 07:39     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

so sad news.

I saw Blacky playing live in Berlin 2012. It's not only his bass sound, which is unique, it's also his aura on stage. His appearence was so anarchic, wild and nonconformist. This punk part of Voivod I always loved and I fear this part will be lost too.

Here is a big article about the new situation of Voivod and Laroche.

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted July 16, 2014 10:17     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A funny comment to that article from BBmouth:

"Has Mike Portnoy approved this yet or will he denounce this roster change?"

Come on guys, don't be too depressed. Blacky is too diverse of a mind to be confined to one kind of sound/style for too long. Let's push him to be creative and do something truly new. Even if that has nothing to do with metal. And see him back in Voivod in 6 years when the stars align again.

And on the other hand, Dan has completely blended with the band by now, and he is perfectly capable of writing cool songs and catchy riffs, just listen to the last Martyr record. Yes, it will be different Voivod, but doesn't mean it has to be any worse. Just different. But we're used to it, right? Their every record is different, this is the way it's apparently meant to be, so be it.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 16, 2014 18:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am definitely looking forward to hearing the next VOIVOD album. I'm sure Dan will make HUGE contributions to to whatever comes next, just like he did with Target Earth. I'm also hoping Blacky keeps releasing music.

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 17, 2014 12:06     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate fucking change!

I'm still tuning into Dan...

Get that dude from the keyboards on AR to do bass.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 17, 2014 15:23     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lemmy would be a damn fine replacement.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Heino
VoivodFan
Member # 160

posted July 18, 2014 13:50     Profile for Heino   Email Heino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
Lemmy would be a damn fine replacement.

--------------------

...To The Death
Heino

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 18, 2014 17:10     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Real men shave their armpits!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Heino
VoivodFan
Member # 160

posted July 20, 2014 13:14     Profile for Heino   Email Heino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
Real men shave their armpits!

Sorry, not allowed.
True Metal keeps close minded!

--------------------

...To The Death
Heino

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted July 20, 2014 18:37     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blacky certainly has earned the right to do whatever he wants in life, and I wish him all the best.

Yes, Voivod can carry on if they want, and I'll be along for the ride.

Here's my regret, though: I'll never get to hear the complete version of Defiance. It's the final, "to be continued" song on Target Earth. As a bass player myself, I'm floored by the tone and aggressiveness of the bass riff at the beginning, and was *really* hoping for a full version of Defiance to open the next album. And the only way for that to happen would be for Blacky to play it on the blower bass. No one else, and no other instrument.

Now that song becomes a way-too-short ending for a fucking extraordinary album. Guess I can live with that Thanks guys, if any of you are reading this, for giving us Target Earth.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 24, 2014 10:08     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
Blacky certainly has earned the right to do whatever he wants in life, and I wish him all the best.

Yes, Voivod can carry on if they want, and I'll be along for the ride.

Here's my regret, though: I'll never get to hear the complete version of Defiance. It's the final, "to be continued" song on Target Earth. As a bass player myself, I'm floored by the tone and aggressiveness of the bass riff at the beginning, and was *really* hoping for a full version of Defiance to open the next album. And the only way for that to happen would be for Blacky to play it on the blower bass. No one else, and no other instrument.

Now that song becomes a way-too-short ending for a fucking extraordinary album. Guess I can live with that Thanks guys, if any of you are reading this, for giving us Target Earth.

This. Case closed, and we can all live happily ever after.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan