my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Question about Nothingface

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Nothingface
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 03, 2014 16:24     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey everybody. I have a question that I need to ask. I have three Nothingface vinyls ( one belongs to my buddy Igor now...) and they all skip! I have all MCA copies. One of them is a promo (the one that Igor has) even that one skips...

Do you have that too???

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 04, 2014 01:50     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No

I have two versions and both are fine. Maybe your record player element doesn't have the pressure it needs. Can you adjust it, with the weights or something?

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 04, 2014 03:11     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
No

I have two versions and both are fine. Maybe your record player element doesn't have the pressure it needs. Can you adjust it, with the weights or something?

Zal ik es ff proberen!
Het is raar dat echt alleen die lps zo skippen. waarschijnlijk toch niet zo goed geperst...

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 04, 2014 20:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't played mine in a while but I don't recall it skipping.

--------------------

yawn

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted June 08, 2014 19:08     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Paul.. get your turntable checked pal. Last Friday I listened to the NF vinyl you kindly sent me and boy it sounds great. No skips at all
CHEERS!!

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 09, 2014 18:58     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now I wanna go home and listen to my copy... it's been ages since I've spun this one on vinyl.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 10, 2014 03:09     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks all!!

--------------------

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted September 23, 2014 21:27     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No skips on my copy either. Did you get it sorted out?
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 24, 2014 06:34     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dotrot_thrash:
No skips on my copy either. Did you get it sorted out?

It was a matter of weight on the needle..
Thank ou for asking...

How have you been??

Not much going on here.

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted September 24, 2014 23:24     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a relatively long album for vinyl, just a hair under 48 minutes. In order to fit extra length onto vinyl, they need to put the grooves closer together (and in order to do *that* they have to drop the db level significantly). When the grooves are closer together, and not as deep, they're going to be more susceptible to damage / skips. There's been a little bit of improvement since the time Nothingface came out, but most of the standards still apply - And laquer cutters who are worth their salt will stay within the industry standards.

I have sadly never owned Nothingface on vinyl, but being a digital recording, there is no audio advantage to having vinyl of it - It's simply an analog format of a series of 1s and 0s. It'd be nice to have it as the fetish item that it is, though. I vastly prefer the larger packaging.

Best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 24, 2014 23:42     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:

I have sadly never owned Nothingface on vinyl, but being a digital recording, there is no audio advantage to having vinyl of it - It's simply an analog format of a series of 1s and 0s. It'd be nice to have it as the fetish item that it is, though. I vastly prefer the larger packaging.

Best,
PAULIE

I did a side by side comparison of Target Earth on vinyl and CD when it first came out. The CD was louder, but the vinyl has infinite headroom in comparison. The CD feels like it has a low ceiling.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 25, 2014 10:37     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I did a side by side comparison of Target Earth on vinyl and CD when it first came out. The CD was louder, but the vinyl has infinite headroom in comparison. The CD feels like it has a low ceiling.

I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two formats, but disagree that the CD does not have any head room. I've often thought that the Nothingface album was prime example of good digital recording techniques and ideal CD mastering. The CD is spacious and full and sounds light years better than most CDs from the era, or since then, really. Not saying the vinyl doesn't have different qualities, just saying that the CD is pretty much the format that the album was targeted at when it was made.

If you want to talk vinyl superiority, then I'm with you 100% in regards to Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss, both of which sounds awesome on vinyl, but thin and not as good on CD, especially KT!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 26, 2014 12:28     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't even dare to ask about the remasters anymore.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan