my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Metallica song (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: New Metallica song
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 20, 2014 11:10     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lords of summer

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted March 20, 2014 14:21     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They're done! Semi fun riffing in the beginning, and 4 minutes in it all slows down to nothing. And Lars sucks ass as always...

I actually enjoyed them more when they were singing about tables with Lou reed. At least they were fun then.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 20, 2014 19:20     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm glad they are back in the business of metal, but there isn't much going on here that's super interesting. If generally adequate metal was the goal, I'd say they've hit the mark. A hefty dose of overmodulation at the mixing stage and they will have another hit on their hands.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 20, 2014 21:28     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's no bass on this recording. If they get this shined up a little more, maybe they can open for Voivod next time out.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 20, 2014 22:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's in the same style of Death Magnetic, which I enjoy, so I dig this. Yeah, it's nothing mindblowing, or new, but it's got some cool riffs, and Kirk isn't doing his usual wawa pedal solos. I'm hoping they flesh this one out a bit more and make it tighter and better. It's just in it's early stages.

I'm just glad they haven't teamed up with Yoko Ono, or YoYo Ma, or Yanni, or Lady GaGa, or someone else like that, and they seem to be writing thrash again.

--------------------

yawn

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted March 20, 2014 22:20     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't badmouth Yo Yo Ma like that, he's a decent musician, which I cannot say of... this.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 21, 2014 07:33     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
It's in the same style of Death Magnetic.

This is true but this song would have been on of the lesser songs imo. Maybe the worst?

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted March 22, 2014 03:58     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Imo, they suck for more than 25 years

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 24, 2014 16:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonut:
Don't badmouth Yo Yo Ma like that, he's a decent musician, which I cannot say of... this.

LMAO I wasn't bad mouthing YO YO MA... since I couldn't think of the classical pianist they performed ONE with at the Grammys (which I hated) I used Yo Yo as reference to to someone that would just clash with Metallica's thrash style. I actually really like Metallica's S&M performance, so maybe Yo You could bring something interesting to their music.

--------------------

yawn

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted March 24, 2014 20:50     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope if Mr. Ma chooses to do a metal project, he selects a better band to work with, and not these ageing schmucks who became so starsick that they flushed whatever talent they used to have down the drain, lost any connection to reality, and became nothing more than four jokes with sky-high ambitions. So much so that on the last record they had to have Rick teach them how to play thrash again, and even that they couldn't perform up to any reasonable standard, neither that of modern metal, nor even old-school nostalgia kind.
With this new song their worthlessness just hit the new low.

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 24, 2014 23:31     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the song. I think it's a decent slab of new Metallica, but I rather enjoyed Death Magnetic and actually like some of St Anger too so what do I know? I know what I like and that's all that matters.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 25, 2014 19:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, tell us how you REALLY feel about Metallica. LMFAO!!!!

--------------------

yawn

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted March 25, 2014 21:51     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't feel about Metallica. It's just an annoyance that pops up every now and then, like, ugh, that again.

Heck, I don't feel much about Justin Beaver either, my kids do.

--------------------

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 26, 2014 00:35     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I hope if Mr. Ma chooses to do a metal project, he selects a better band to work with, and not these ageing schmucks who became so starsick that they flushed whatever talent they used to have down the drain, lost any connection to reality, and became nothing more than four jokes with sky-high ambitions. So much so that on the last record they had to have Rick teach them how to play thrash again, and even that they couldn't perform up to any reasonable standard, neither that of modern metal, nor even old-school nostalgia kind.

Best definition of post-1988 Metallica that I've ever read. Besides, it's kinda weird to watch Rob Trujillo playing with 'em. Apart from the difference in style, Rob also dresses like he was still in Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves. Pretty odd.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 26, 2014 17:19     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, you crack me up. Honest but still funny.

I always thought Trujillo was too good and too funky for Metallica. He's obviously had to hold back his style since joining the band. I liked him best in Suicidal & Infectious Grooves, where he could be himself and just let loose.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 28, 2014 15:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Metallica forgot how to play thrash on September 27, 1986. After that, just another metal band.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 28, 2014 15:34     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Metallica forgot how to play thrash on September 27, 1986. After that, just another metal band.

That's it. RIP, Cliff.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 28, 2014 18:29     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:

As much as I can bag on Metallica's current state, I can't see dismissing the undeniable vitality of the $5.98 EP or the flawed/brilliant prog-riffing and structures of And Justice For All. The creative forces of this band didn't vanish all at once, it took a few years and a rise to mega-stardom to fully dissipate. I'd even say the band had some creative spark left in 1991, though it was in rapid decline at that point.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 29, 2014 15:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only thing I've enjoyed by this band since Justice For All.....was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvF8ShgsSr0

Really killer solo by Hammett....Surprised me. But that's about it for me.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 30, 2014 16:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dig I DISAPPEAR also, and also really like NO LEAF CLOVER from the S&M album. I listened to Death Magnetic again today at work and still enjoy that album. I like the proggy thrashy vibe of it, lots of cool time changes and riffs. Yeah, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's more of the style that made me like them when they started.
I gotta say I am diggin' their medley on the new tribute to Ronnie James Dio -Ronnie Rising Hetfield will never match the power of Dio's vocals, but this is cool. Looking forward to hearing everyone else's track on this album.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 31, 2014 00:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"...And Justice For All" was released without any bass tracks in the mix. Good riffs, but I would argue that many of them were written when Cliff was still with them.

The $5.98 EP was tremendous. Obviously, it was a good move and paid off in paving the way for Jason to fill some immense boots.

I got hold of the black album a few days before its release and instantly dropped off the Metallica wagon. By the time my sister found Metallica "cool", it was time to move on. She hated when I blasted "Hit The Lights" or "Fight Fire With Fire". To hear "Unforgiven" wafting from her bedroom was just wrong.

I like to think that Cliff would not have allowed the black album, or nearly anything that followed it. Obviously, it's easy to speak for someone who can't speak for themselves, but of all the guys in the band to travel this route, can you see Cliff letting the bass become a 3-note afterthought in a Metallica song?

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 31, 2014 10:56     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If Cliff hadn't died I am sure Metallica would not have been the Metallica they are now.

Metallica would have been just Metallica going the less commercial path. They would have not been so huge.

I felt kinda sick when I first heard the black album. I thought this isnt Metallica, this is not MY band...

It all worked out fine for them. Losing a couple of 10000 fans and gaining multiple million others......

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 31, 2014 18:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I first heard the Black Album I was scratching my head wondering what happened. I kept waiting to hear something fast like Damage Inc, or something that Jason brought to the table that would be more of a straight forward thrasher, like his Flotsam & Jetsam... nope, I heard none of that. The album has grown on me and I don't despise it like I used to, but I rarely listen to it.

I think Metallica would have done some different things if Cliff was still alive, but I don't think they would have sounded like they did when they started. I doubt Cliff would have been satisfied repeating themselves (like Slayer does) and I have a feeling he really would have enjoyed doing the S&M concert. He opened the ears and minds of the other members with different influences and I think they still would have done some non thrash music, just different than the road Larz and Jamez took them down.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 04, 2014 17:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see this stuff about Cliff not letting the guys do this or that as an overstatement, always thought that way. As much as Cliff was a spiritual guide to the band, highly influential or whatever, Metallica has always been "the James and Lars show", period. It’s obvious that Cliff’s opinion was of course welcome, but let’s face reality, he was not the band leader by any stretch of imagination. James even famously stated that it was good that Mustaine left or else it would be THREE leaders in the band. Cliff was already in when Dave left, so do the math.

Plus, Cliff was the least metal guy in the band, he was the one who was a fan of REM, Misfits, Lynyrd Skynyrd and so on... He was always thinking outside of the metal box, if you like. As nothingface stated before, it's all conjecture, but apart from Anesthesia, For Whom The Bell Tolls and the two instrumentals, Cliff's bass lines were always mimicking the guitar riffs, just like Jason's after him. He was a singular character, was a hell of a player, and so on, but I don't think he would be “artistically” complaining about playing the kind of songs Metallica did since the 90’s (lots of influences from bands that he liked after all) and earning the amounts of money Metallica did all these years. Who would, anyway?

As for the song, I think it's okay, on par with Death Magnetic, which seems like the most "metal" these guys can do nowadays. Not much to write home about, just okay. And Jason is missed, that’s for sure. Trujillo is a monstrous player, he just doesn’t fit with Metallica.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 04, 2014 18:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Totally agree with ya Slaytanic. Lets face it, if Mustaine wasn't kicked out he probably would have left after the first or maybe second album because there would have been too many chiefs in the band trying to dictate what they wanted, and he was far too talented and writing too much to let all those ideas get thrown away.
Trujillo always seemed like an odd fit to me because he is way to funky and jazzy, but who would turn down the paychecks that were being offered? I cool million just upon joining the band FUCK!!! I always thought Joey Vera would have been the guy, although I'm glad he did the Fates Warning and Armored Saint thing... he just seemed like he'd be a good solid fit.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan