my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Discogs.com

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discogs.com
Halldin
VoivodFan
Member # 1479

posted February 03, 2014 09:13     Profile for Halldin   Email Halldin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone here into Discogs.com? Whats your thoughts about it??

I am thinking about to start reg there but its a long job for me (4000 + Items) so I want to know if its a good site before I start.... Anyone?

|  IP: Logged
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 03, 2014 10:38     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like it, cool way to keep track of what you have, show others. 4000 items sounds like quite a task tho! It only took me a week to input around 1000.

Good luck!

--------------------

Halldin
VoivodFan
Member # 1479

posted February 03, 2014 11:05     Profile for Halldin   Email Halldin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, it Will take some time... I take it in chapter and start with the easy one (CD)! Do you know if its difficult to add odd versions to master releases? I see there is sometimes one I think should be under master release but it stand alone in the list?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 03, 2014 12:58     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I added my collection to Discogs last year and it was kind of a fun exercise. CDs are easy and go really fast, but vinyl took a bit more work/time as I often had to take the LPs out of the sleeves to properly identify them. Still, it gave me a better sense of what I own than I've ever had before and it's nice to be able to easily see (and share) my collection as I see fit. I have just under 3,400 items in my collection so far (CD & LP).

Adding new titles or versions to the database feels a little wonky at first, but once you do it a few times it's easy enough. Same with adding a release version to the master version.

I'd recommend it to any obsessive collector. Once you have your collection all added, it's easy to keep updated and nice to be able to check the collection from my phone if I'm out record shopping or something, haha.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Halldin
VoivodFan
Member # 1479

posted February 03, 2014 13:50     Profile for Halldin   Email Halldin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx for your thoughts!
Wonky LOT of job to track/text every song etc on a new release... In someway you must could copy a master release and just change some codes etc and then release it under master release?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 03, 2014 18:31     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halldin:
Thanx for your thoughts!
Wonky LOT of job to track/text every song etc on a new release... In someway you must could copy a master release and just change some codes etc and then release it under master release?

Hey Halldin, it is possible to copy a draft of the an existing release and edit as needed from there. For brand new releases, you still have to enter manually of course.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 04, 2014 06:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently put my collection on Discogs. It s easy to do exepct when you have releases you have to put in there. That is a lot of work.

It took my 2 evenings ( I have only 170 pieces of vinyl....)

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 05, 2014 18:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Discogs, especially for finding and buying rare items I "need" for my collection. I however am never going to attempt to input my entire music collection (probably well over 10,000 cds and vinyl) but I do put my collection in on some of the bands I am currently collecting so I don't end up buying the same item twice (although that has happened a few times, thanks to my shitty memory, and being to lazy to check my collection thoroughly)
I've found things on Discogs, I didn't think I would ever find or even existed.

I think HEINO was the one who turned a few of us onto that site.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 06, 2014 01:29     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's *tons* of bullshit on that site. Any moron can make a homemade casette, put a photocopied cover on it and say "Rare bootleg, edition of one" and it's listed as a "release" - What a joke. These sites with user-input are vastly unreliable, it's like the Wikipedia of records - Maybe ok as a guide, but far from accurate in many cases.

Also, why on earth would anyone want to post what they own on there? Being a record nerd (like me) is just fine but this seems a bit... I dunno how to put it... Self-aggrandizing or something. The Real Housewives of Record Collecting I guess. Maybe I'm just a private person in that regard, but I don't particularly want anyone to know what I own. Pass.

Humbug,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 06, 2014 21:19     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well Paulie it's anonymous unless you choose to make it public, and even then it doesn't really say who you are unless you want all of that visible and stuff. It's just a cool way to keep track of what you have, like everyone said, I don't think of it a form of vanity or trying to show off who has more vinyl etc. Of course I'm sure there are people that do that, but who's to say they are totally full of shit and don't own anything on their list haha.

I agree that some things are not legit, anyone could "invent" a rare item, but who cares, let them. I don't give a shit! They do have moderators altho I doubt they can do much. Everything I own and have found is legit tho, maybe some of the info is false but I'm not using it for those reasons.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 09, 2014 07:20     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wanna buy my Japanese Skynyrd coolection? I made it up just for you

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 09, 2014 07:25     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you enjoy anything in life?

--------------------

Halldin
VoivodFan
Member # 1479

posted February 13, 2014 14:51     Profile for Halldin   Email Halldin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soon finished with CD's (+700)....
Just the rest left, but I like it

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 09, 2014 13:28     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought up a really lame game, every time somebody updates/alters a release you need to listen to it (I have my messages set to alert me every time this happens). Sounds cheesy but if you have 1000+ entries it can be quite random and interesting. Yes, I have no life.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 09, 2014 17:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
I thought up a really lame game, every time somebody updates/alters a release you need to listen to it (I have my messages set to alert me every time this happens). Sounds cheesy but if you have 1000+ entries it can be quite random and interesting. Yes, I have no life.

That's a great way to decide what you're going to listen to each day. I not even close to having my collection on discogs, but every now and then when I'm bored or loading my iTunes library (again) I add stuff.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 09, 2014 20:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For instance, today so far it's Yes 'The Ladder' and 'Close to the Edge', and Chris Connelly 'Blonde Exodus'. I have not listened to these in at least a year!

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan