my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Outer Limits

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Outer Limits
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 14, 2013 10:03     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why are you so friggin expensive. Everytime I see a copy of you on vinyl the askingprice is around €150,-
I would give that easily but also have other people around that say no to you.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 14, 2013 12:43     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with you there brother! Would love to see 180g deluxe vinyl reissues of The Outer Limits and Angel Rat. Would buy the shit outta those!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

phobos777
VoivodFan
Member # 1275

posted November 14, 2013 17:03     Profile for phobos777   Email phobos777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lot of shit they had done with this 180g vinyl it is a fashion now. everybody says whoohoo i have this and this in 180g, yeah.Fact is most of them sounds shit,the quality goes down and down pressing is horrible - i dont give a fuck (sorry) i need a vinyl that plays perfect and should be clean by leaving. Sorry for my raw words, but i have enough shitty 180g deluxe virgin or whatever vinyl - a lot for the can the trashcan - sad but true

But i also like a deluxe version of TOL and AR, maybe they find some rare demo or forgotten songs in a different version - thats what i like, yeah - dosn't matter if 180g or 140g which sounds terrific too. Only thing it should be clean, no waves and a good sound.

Sorry I had to get rid views

Greets
Michael

--------------------

Inside a giant particle accelerator,a beam of protons,traveling at near the speed of light meets a beam of antiprotons moving equally fast in the opposite direction.The protons and mirror-image antiprotons annihilate each other,creating the fiery chaos of a parallel micro-galaxy.Experiment one complete,the VOIVOD goes into that new dimension,meeting different civilisations and psychic entities,extracting knowledge and energy in the eight programs of this project called: D I M E N S I O N H A T R Ö S S

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 14, 2013 18:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously if the master recording isn't good quality, the outcome is going to suck no matter what you record it to. It's like putting a flip book on blu ray.

I was fortunate to get vinyls of TOL and AR but I'd jump at the chance to get a copy remastered onto new vinyl. Wait for an auction that doesn't have a ridiculous starting bid and hopefully you'll get it at a better price. That's how I just won Rush - Roll The Bones, and Pink Floyd - PULSE on vinyl and paid no where close to what they usually go for. Some of these sellers are out of their fuckin' minds, butu bottom line is if there's someone willing to shell out the big bucks for these things they will keep pricing them high. GOOD LUCK , hope you eventually get them.

--------------------

yawn

phobos777
VoivodFan
Member # 1275

posted November 15, 2013 02:47     Profile for phobos777   Email phobos777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry again. For my words, I wish pppaaaüüülll clearly also a good cheap version. What upset me stop this deluxe 180g pressings, now as mushrooms sprouting from the ground and the high quality buyers suggest something, but ultimately are scrap. There are also exceptions.
It has nothing to do with the topic here, it annoys me at the moment immensely.

So no offense - wish you the TOL as low as it gets, I had to wait very long for my copy. To the conclusion I had to get it for $ 80 including postage from the U.S..

And the conclusion I wish of course X-D he gets a 180g super deluxe edition, as each of us then.

w/love
Michael

--------------------

Inside a giant particle accelerator,a beam of protons,traveling at near the speed of light meets a beam of antiprotons moving equally fast in the opposite direction.The protons and mirror-image antiprotons annihilate each other,creating the fiery chaos of a parallel micro-galaxy.Experiment one complete,the VOIVOD goes into that new dimension,meeting different civilisations and psychic entities,extracting knowledge and energy in the eight programs of this project called: D I M E N S I O N H A T R Ö S S

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 15, 2013 03:09     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yo,

i have not 1 vinyl that is reissued. I am looking for the real old stuf. If the Original skips every now and then, I put on the cd. I could spend tons on reissued picturediscs by Iron Maiden. That doesn't count for me.

In case of TOL I would buy it, just to enhance my Voivod vinyl collection..

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 15, 2013 18:40     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phobos777:
Sorry again. For my words, I wish pppaaaüüülll clearly also a good cheap version. What upset me stop this deluxe 180g pressings, now as mushrooms sprouting from the ground and the high quality buyers suggest something, but ultimately are scrap. There are also exceptions.
It has nothing to do with the topic here, it annoys me at the moment immensely.

No offense taken at all and I 100% agree with your statement. For me, it comes down to simple quality - 180g vinyl yes, but proper mastering should be an assumed part of a deluxe reissue package. If it doesn't sound sound good, then true enough, it sucks regardless of the vinyl stock it's pressed onto.

Most of my collection is also originals, but I'm not opposed to buying reissues in cases when originals are insanely expensive. I just wanna own the tunes on a nice physical format.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 15, 2013 21:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm by far no expert on vinyl and own only less than 50 vinyl albums, but it is my understanding that 180g is better because the grooves can be etched deeper and there is not a chance of any bleed over from side-a to b. Also, it is not prone to warping as much and it sits on the turntable more firmly simply due to it's extra weight. Of course none of this means shit if the actual master recording doesn't sound good (can't polish a turd, haha!). A total remastering should be in effect if 180g vinyl is involed, and there is some guy named Bernie Grundman that has remastered a bunch of stuff specifically for vinyl recently and is highly regarded.

BTW good luck Paul, I'm sure that day will come when a seller will be realistic and give a decent starting price and just let the buyers decide how much it's worth. I always thought that's what eBay should really be, start out at a frigging penny or 99 cents.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 16, 2013 15:54     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phobos777:
...now as mushrooms sprouting from the ground

By the way, this IS golden!!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 16, 2013 20:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love the reissues they are doing on 180 or heavier vinyl. I've bought many original used copies but it seems many people selling these just didn't take care of their records properly and there's scratches, pops, clicks, and noise that doesn't fully get extracted even with proper cleaning and the wood glue treatment. It's nice to have the originals in my collection, but given a choice of buying a brand new 180g vinyl and an original used vinyl, I'll take the better sounding fresh new vinyl any day so I can enjoy music better through my Sennheiser cans, which is how I listen to vinyl now days... thanks to this forum and the headphone discussion.

I'm thrilled that a lot of older recordings are getting re-released on vinyl. I've recently been totally stoked that the Faith No More catalog has been getting released this way.

Phobos, it's funny how you found TOL from a seller in the states when it seems most of them (like the one I scored on eBay) are in Europe).

--------------------

yawn

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted November 18, 2013 11:00     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm on your same boat Paul! ... just got Angel Rat for a decent price in Discogs (from a UK seller), but haven't had any luck with TOL so far.

Regarding the Old v/s new vinyl discussion ... well, I have an original Dutch 1986 pressing of Maiden's "Somewhere in Time", then I let it fall stupidly and got it scratched (fuck me).

So, I got the new reissue vinyl "from the original master tapes, 180g blahblahblah...". Put it side to side with the old original one and the original DEFINITELY sounds with far more balls and more 3D. And I mean there's a BIG difference, not a subtle one. What a disappointment!

At the end I just proceeded to fix the old one as much as I could with the rubber method and then a wood glue cleaning, with really good results. Now the reissue sits on my collection as a merely decorative item.

Bottom line: I'm not getting reissues again anytime soon.

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 18, 2013 13:00     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe this isn't the best thread to pose this question, but going to anyway.

What is wrong with the labels and folks putting out sub-standard reissues, both on LP and CD? Why bother remastering or reissuing anything if you're not carefully trying to represent the most of the original recordings on a new medium, be it vinyl or CD?

Is this a business problem, or are engineers and producers losing their minds?

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 18, 2013 13:10     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I think some labels are just being cheap and using the fact that albums are out-of-print to con you into buying it, be it nicely done or not. At least it's being put out again, lol? But that's fuckin crazy when the re-issue/RM sounds even WORSE than the original. People be on crack.

My new marketing ploy now is to just release 10 albums at a time to select few, keep 5 for myself, put them on eBay for outrageous "OOP" prices, then re-release the same thing a year later, repeat process. Instant fortune!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 18, 2013 15:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The entire recording industry is SO different from back in the 80s when vinyl was king. Now it seems there is a lot of companies looking to make a fast dollar on collectors. It's hard to weed out the shit from the good guys when you get excited about something being rereleased that you want for your collection. There are many respectable labels who are putting out top quality vinyl and working directly with the artists. Then there's plenty of labels who get the rights to release something and do a 1/2 assed job.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan