my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt to curate Roadburn Festival 2014

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt to curate Roadburn Festival 2014
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 27, 2013 11:13     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great news !

Hope this doesn't make the tickets fly even faster as they did previous years.. ;-)

quote:
We’re elated to announce that Mikael Åkerfeldt has agreed to curate Roadburn Festival 2014 on Friday, April 11th at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands. As curator, Mikael will personally select the bands for his special event, and play a headline show with Opeth, too!

Musically, Mikael has consistently pushed the boundaries. Over the last two decades, he guided Opeth‘s evolution, drawing the band out from under the doom-laden shade of occult-infused Scandinavian death metal and into a place in the sun as revered progressive rock / metal innovators, never once sacrificing the authentic spirit of previous artistic endeavours.

Mikael‘s steadfast devotion to aesthetic progression and perfection has proven ground-breaking and highly influential for an entire new generation of musicians practicing the art of progressive rock and psychedelica. At the same time, he has steadfastly honoured the mystical pioneers of late 1960s and early 1970s psychedelic folk, rock and prog — some of Opeth‘s albums are named after obscure psychedelic prog outfits or song titles — all of which is in perfect sync with Roadburn Festival.

Opeth‘s body of work is highly respected by Roadburn audiences, which makes Mikael the ideal choice to carry on the tradition that began in 2008 with David Tibet / Current 93, and continued with Neurosis, Tom G Warrior, Sunn 0))), Voivod and Jus Oborn / Electric Wizard.

“It’s with great honour that I accepted the invitation to be the curator for the 2014 Roadburn festival”, says Mikael Åkerfeldt, “I’m pretty damn far from being a professional booker / promotor, and I’ve never been part in choosing bands for an event apart from bands that Opeth has toured with. So this is a first for me, but I have to say I’m very excited.”

“I’ve reached out to a handful of my favourite bands from the past and present. As of now it looks like it will be an amazing musical event. Still brainstorming about possible bands for this glorious festival but I already know that I’m going to be like a kid at Christmas. It will be amazing! Plain and simple. Obviously Opeth will perform as well, but to be quite honest with you, our own performance doesn’t get me nearly as excited as the thought of experiencing the bands that have shown interest. It will be remarkable and memorable. A celebration, bitches!”

We are so excited and proud to be working with Mikael and to have Opeth headline his curated Roadburn 2014 event. It will truly be a celebration of progressive rock, psychedelic folk, the heavy 70s and beyond. We look forward to this collaboration and cannot wait to see how he will expand Roadburn Festival‘s musical horizons as well as explore more familiar territory from new angles. We will definitely be in for some artistic surprises.

Roadburn Festival 2014 will run for four days from Thursday, April 10th to Sunday, April 13th, 2014 at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands.

http://www.roadburn.com/2013/08/opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-to-curate-2014-roadburn-festi val/

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 27, 2013 16:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fekkin hell. This should be great!!

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2013 20:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VERY COOL. I'm curious to see who ends up playing this festival with Mikael choosing the bands.

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 30, 2013 10:52     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey DBC and paul...would it be better if you purchased me a ticket this time round? I know last year tickets did not sell as quickly, but I'm afraid they'll go much quicker this time. What do you think?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 30, 2013 17:30     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Hey DBC and paul...would it be better if you purchased me a ticket this time round? I know last year tickets did not sell as quickly, but I'm afraid they'll go much quicker this time. What do you think?

My idea!!!

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 31, 2013 05:11     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last year they changed the time table for opening the ticket sales. It was in the evening here, so people from the US etcetera could easier purchase the tickets, without getting up in the middle of the night.

quote:

Of course we can help you guys out with the purchase

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 31, 2013 08:35     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
Last year they changed the time table for opening the ticket sales. It was in the evening here, so people from the US etcetera could easier purchase the tickets, without getting up in the middle of the night.

Ga jij dit jaar?

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 02, 2013 01:36     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pppaaaüüülll:
Ga jij dit jaar?

Effe kijken wat er bij gaat komen. Als de line-up net zo in mijn straatje gaat worden als met Tom Warrior zal ik waarschijnlijk wel gaan. Het gewoonlijke gebeuren is niet zo mijn ding, al is het wel erg gezellig

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 02, 2013 05:34     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Effe kijken wat er bij gaat komen. Als de line-up net zo in mijn straatje gaat worden als met Tom Warrior zal ik waarschijnlijk wel gaan. Het gewoonlijke gebeuren is niet zo mijn ding, al is het wel erg gezellig

In de gatenhouden dus,...
Monique wil dit jaar eigenlijk ook gan, na mijn verhalen. Kan ze mooi rijden!!

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 03, 2013 13:45     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Aha, no wonder it was much easier last year. And it helped they didn't sell as quickly. Yes, if one of you could help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 15, 2013 04:58     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm. We're thinking about it... Hmm and then some hmm on top of that.

Hmm.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 15, 2013 09:15     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, if you're thinking about it, then I'm thinking about it!
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 15, 2013 12:53     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Well, if you're thinking about it, then I'm thinking about it!

Well then, my dear mr h. Then i guess we're thinking really really hard about it. Would be a blast to get together in that fine place again.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 15, 2013 14:03     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still in hmmmm mode too, but I guess Mikaels taste will be okidoki for me and pull me to Tilburg again.

A new gathering of drinking Voivodians would be nice imo

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 15, 2013 14:13     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would be fun to meet up again for sure

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 15, 2013 16:03     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm still in hmmmm mode too, but I guess Mikaels taste will be okidoki for me and pull me to Tilburg again.

A new gathering of drinking Voivodians would be nice imo

Oooohhh yes, this year is gonna be killer!!

I say: Jungaloo!!!!!! Beekse Bergen

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 15, 2013 16:42     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm slightly getting interested as well.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 20, 2013 11:27     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
I'm slightly getting interested as well.

No hmmmm-ing for me. I'm in if AR is in!

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 20, 2013 12:59     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
No hmmmm-ing for me. I'm in if AR is in!

He damn well better be in because you got in a week ago

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 09, 2013 16:28     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So. This is all coming together nicely with many thanks to Paul and DBC and their multitude of friends. The 2014 Roadburn line up is fuckin' SICK, yo.

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 09, 2013 17:17     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Goblin, Magma, Comus...

Cool shit!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan