my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Rest in Peace, Jeff Hanneman (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Rest in Peace, Jeff Hanneman
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 04, 2013 20:53     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a little story: The only time I've ever seen Slayer open for anybody was during the Clash of the Titans tour...Let's just say Anthrax had a difficult time following them!

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 04, 2013 21:31     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
Here's a little story: The only time I've ever seen Slayer open for anybody was during the Clash of the Titans tour...Let's just say Anthrax had a difficult time following them!

Slayer should never open for anybody! They were the definition of a headliner band. The crowds in the 80s were brutal to any band that dared open for them, haha. Poor Overkill didn't stand a chance in front of Slayer on the Reign In Blood tour... I saw them play to a full crowd of middle fingers yelling "SLAYER!!!" for their entire set, haha.

Anthrax over Slayer on a bill? That's just wrong, haha.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 04, 2013 21:48     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it was supposed to be a rotating thing of Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer but I guess it's better than Slayer playing before BOTH bands!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 04, 2013 22:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw them on the Clash of the Titans and I also remember it as a rotating lineup with that new band Alice in Chains opening.
I also saw the RIB tour with Overkill, and Overkill was amazing, even with many of the fans wanting just Slayer. When Slayer hit the stage, the Warner Theater in DC would never be the same. Ripped up theater seats and just fucking insane. I was about 8 rows back standing on the arms of my chair and the only time I could see the band is when a stage diver took out a few rows of people. You can't mosh properly with bolted down chairs!!! The people in the balcony had the best seats that night.
listened to Diabolus In Musica today in memory of Hanneman

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 05, 2013 00:55     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I regret missing Chains, got there right when they left the stage, altho truthfully I had no idea who the fuck they were haha. My first Slayer gig was just a year before when Testament opened up. Talk about BRUTAL. Was too young to see them in earlier years (21+ clubs), they opened for Motorhead one year, I was so pissed.

SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 05, 2013 17:01     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Great stories Luna! It that THE Knockouts in Albuquerque? Haha! Used to go there with friends whenever we'd go to shows in the city. Was a always good place to chill before/after the drive back up to Santa Fe and the beer & boobs didn't hurt either.

Hahaha, yes, the titty bar. Brewster's isn't there anymore but I spent lots of times in there with my Drunkle Erick.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 05, 2013 18:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I kind of wondered if this was what was really going on when they said liver failure(not that it matters but....):
http://gunshyassassin.com/news/report-friends-discuss-slayer-guitarists-behavior/#more-42137

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 05, 2013 19:00     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that'll pretty much give you a failed liver haha. And being on god-knows what meds to combat the spider bites, I'm sure they lower your immune system and you can't fight off other things. Whatever, he's dead and that's that.

Fucking sucks

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 05, 2013 22:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The drinking was the first thing I thought of when I read it was liver damage. Whatever the reason, it's sad he's gone, although I do have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who drinks or drugs himself to death. I'll miss the songs he could have created, but will always enjoy what he did create in his lifetime.

Blasted HELL AWAITS today.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 10, 2013 19:35     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it's no surprise but here it is, from the FB page, official band statement:

We've just learned that the official cause of Jeff's death was alcohol related cirrhosis. While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent Necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life. Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving – he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record.

Not a big shock, really, but still quite sad. I'm still however shocked about his untimely passing, Slayer was my favorite band when I was not even a teen yet, back in '86 right before Reign dropped. I didn't even know who Voivod was for another 2 years, and well they took over as my fave band lol...Anyways, they are deeply engrained into my life so to speak.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 10, 2013 22:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A bit late, but shocking news, that was totally unexpected. Well, one of the greats is gone, at least we have his body of work which will last for the ages. RIP Jeff Hanneman!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 10, 2013 22:53     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and those were great stories shared by you all.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 10, 2013 23:03     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I understand they actually have like 3 songs they were gonna release last summer to help promote the Mayhem (?) Fest but fucking record label balked (imagine that!). Now they HAVE to do it I say!!

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 10, 2013 23:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So sad to hear, and important to remember that this guy went through a real difficult situation with this necrotizing fasciitis infection. He nearly lost his arm and his ability to play... his livelyhood. Being sidelined like that could take it's toll on the toughest of us.

He leaves behind a badass legacy of music and the world is definitly a more awesome place because of his contributions. Many thanks and unending respect to Jeff Hanneman. RIP.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 10, 2013 16:52     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted June 13, 2013 04:03     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 31, 2014 17:11     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Happy 50th birthday Jeff, tear it up where ever you are!!

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 02, 2014 21:42     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One year.

Has anybody heard the new "free" song released last week? Just sounds like everything they've put out since '06. Plus, Kerry is the only guitarist. Hmmm...

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 03, 2014 07:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I heard it. Awful. Time for those guys to hang it up.

Can't believe its been a year since he left planet earth.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 06, 2014 02:32     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, whether they hang it up or not, they just severed ties with American recordings, and have created their own withholdings company. I guess you can't really get dropped off your own label, can you?

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 07, 2014 16:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I listened to the new song. It's SLAYER, nothing more, nothing less. Same thing different title different year. YAWN!

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 07, 2014 17:43     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
It's SLAYER

Can't really complain about that I guess?

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan