my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Other bands like Mastodon?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Other bands like Mastodon?
Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted April 27, 2013 07:19     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Voivod fans!

I am a Mastodon fan (and Voivod fan also...). Which other band would you recommand that are similar to Mastodon?

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged
hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted April 27, 2013 08:54     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lethargy!!! Bill and Brann's old band.
Another guy from Lethargy is now in Sulaco. Some good stuff there as well.

It's most comparable to old Mastodon though, not their later stuff.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 27, 2013 14:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
High on Fire?

Mastodon rules, BTW. WTF are they up to right now? Starting families and shit lol?

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 27, 2013 21:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would depend on which Mastodon albums you're really into to figure out what other bands sound like them. I went on an absolutely obsessive collecting frenzy for everything that was released for Crack The Skye, which is when I first got into them. I also picked up everything prior to that album and found I wasn't thrilled by their early material but loved hearing the evolution as the band continued its journey. The Hunter seemed to be a step backwards from what they did on CTS. Not that I don't like it, but it's more straight forward and just raw & brutal than the progressive stylings of CTS.

There's so many different elements in Mastodon they seem to be a melting pot of some many influences from King Crimson, to early thrash, to Sabbath, to the bands others have mnentioned... the list is endless.

--------------------

yawn

Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted April 27, 2013 23:23     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first album I heard was Crack The Skye, which is the best one in my opinion. After that I listened to their older albums and I love Leviathan.
The Hunter is pretty good. I have seen them twice live and they are really good.
It is very technical, but melodic at the same time, and has a certain groove.

Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted April 28, 2013 14:33     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will try Lethargy and High On Fire and I will come back on this. Thank you guys!
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 28, 2013 20:41     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lethargy is the more frenetic side of their sound, and High on Fire the heavier. The band actually started after first meeting at a High on Fire show way back when (as the story goes at least)...

--------------------

spudboy
VoivodFan
Member # 78

posted April 30, 2013 06:04     Profile for spudboy   Email spudboy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Echoing the other comments, you need to check out Lethargy. I went to school with Brann, so I've been a Lethargy supporter since Day 1. Their "Discography" release is only available as MP3 downloads these days (Amazon, iTunes, etc), but is well worth checking out. Several months back I heard from a reliable source that a reissue of "Discography" is in the works with a DVD documentary to be packaged with it. We'll see...
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 30, 2013 06:20     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spudboy:
Echoing the other comments, you need to check out Lethargy. I went to school with Brann, so I've been a Lethargy supporter since Day 1. Their "Discography" release is only available as MP3 downloads these days (Amazon, iTunes, etc), but is well worth checking out. Several months back I heard from a reliable source that a reissue of "Discography" is in the works with a DVD documentary to be packaged with it. We'll see...

I'm pretty sure you can find said Lethargy CD online, albeit OOP but fuck going to iTunes, or any mp3 bullshit. I would LOVE a re-issue maybe with some remastering and a DVD like you said, I'm all in

So are you from Rochester? I remember you from a lonnng time ago on here, welcome back man!

--------------------

spudboy
VoivodFan
Member # 78

posted May 01, 2013 07:18     Profile for spudboy   Email spudboy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:

So are you from Rochester? I remember you from a lonnng time ago on here, welcome back man!

Yes, I'm from Rochester. (a place that has been without a Voivod show since 1996...fingers crossed that changes with the impending tour!)

I don't post much, but I frequently check the board to stay on top of the latest 'vod happenings.

On the subject of Lethargy, here's a video I shot of them in '94:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXVnEuvHTk

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 03, 2013 03:33     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice vid for back then! Who else is from Chester, Ani Di'Franco? I bet that bitch moved out a long time ago haha

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 03, 2013 03:37     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a funny thing I just uploaded for the heck of it. From A DVD of Unholy Alliance tour back in '06.

serious Q&A

--------------------

Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted May 07, 2013 07:39     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you guys!
High On Fire is pretty good, but Lethargy is awesome!
Always nice to discover new good music!

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted May 07, 2013 14:02     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you liked Lethargy, try Sulaco too.

Trivia: after Lethargy was done, guitarist Erik Burke played in Nuclear Assault for a while, had some fun playing in Kalibas (drums, for a change) and now settled on being in Brutal Truth and Sulaco at the same time. There are some other bands on his credit list as well, but I didn't research that.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted May 13, 2013 15:25     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not really like Mastodon, but since they always end up in similar playlists for me:

Isis. The vox are unintelligible most of the time, but that's not the point...the sludgy riffage and loooong songs are what I like.

Isis broke up a couple of years ago, but don't let that stop ya.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan