my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Let's talk about your cans! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Let's talk about your cans!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 01, 2013 06:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was a toss between the 2 brands and since I don't have any great audio stores around where I live that carry these higher end cans I had to go with what I read. I was also wondering about the open end on the Senns that I purchased. There's pros and cons to that also, but like you said I'm sure I would have been thrilled with either brand. I was impatient and bored last night which usually means I end up with a few purchases online.

I was going to do the same cd/vinyl comparison just to hear the difference. Now I know what to listen for.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 02, 2013 12:18     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't wait to hear your take on the HD598. I've read on headfi.org about those.

Over the years, the MP3 has more than degraded the accepted sound quality of music, but also cheapened the perceived value of music. I thought I hadn't let that happen to me, but apparently I did; not completely, but more than I realized.

By the time you hold an album in your hands, it has been touched with the efforts of the writers, musicians, engineers, producers, mixers, masterers, etc. There's a shitload of effort and passion involved, even for the aforementioned "lo-fi black metal album". Leaving their efforts to the 128 kbps MP3 and shitty speakers/headphones seems an insult to their efforts, a waste of your money, and a denial of pleasure.

Listening to music encoded at 128 kbps through earbuds or dollar store headphones is like having sex with a whole box of rubbers on.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 02, 2013 16:01     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't get me started on the whole mp3 thing, I think it's a major scam. Even a 320CBR worth of clustered "data" is not worth 99 cents, it should all be in WAV or FLAC, i.e. the EXACT data from said song from the album. Anything less is just a rip, pun intended haha.

I need to invest in some nice cans. I've spent a good portion of my teen/adult life using headphones because of the music I listen to and living with parents/others that need their peace and quiet, I never really let loose and jammed shit on a stereo till I got my own place. But now that I do have solace to freely jam, I like the headphone experience, and drowning out everything else around me...immersion if you will.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 02, 2013 18:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!
I got the HD598 cans in the mail taday - super fast shipping!!!!
Dinner's getting cold, but I don't care. I took them out of the box and plugged them in and grabbed my favorite Genesis remastered cd, DUKE. I knew it would have plenty of great elements to give a good test to the cans, and these things are FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!! They are "open" like the Grado cans but what sold me on these was the longer cord, they came with the mini adapter (even though I probably will never use these with my iPod), and the bass response was suppose to be better than the Grado set. After slightly tweeking the bass and treble knobs on my stereo, my ears are in heaven. These fit completely over my ears and the cushion surround my ears instead of sitting on top of them. They are very comfortable. The quiet parts in the music are dead silent, and the range is phenomenal. It's so fuckin clear. Like Nothingface mentioned previously, there's so much in the music that I probably would have never really heard before and the nuances between the instruments is brilliant and stunning. Obviously great production helps, but WOW!!!!

If you're going to invest in something for your music collection great cans are the way to go. Definitely a wiser choice than buying stereo speakers (unless you're going for a 5.1 or 7.1 system)

I would have NEVER considered buying something like this if it wasn't for this topic, so a huge THANK YOU to Nothingface for starting this.

I never imagined after so many years of listening to music that I would get this excited again about how I heard it. This definitely ranks up there with the first time I listened to something recorded in 5.1...maybe more exciting, because of the thousands of cds, and hundreds of vinyl I have that will sound so much better now.

WOW!!!!!

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 04, 2013 02:12     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!
I got the HD598 cans in the mail taday - super fast shipping!!!!
Dinner's getting cold, but I don't care. I took them out of the box and plugged them in and grabbed my favorite Genesis remastered cd, DUKE. I knew it would have plenty of great elements to give a good test to the cans, and these things are FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!! They are "open" like the Grado cans but what sold me on these was the longer cord, they came with the mini adapter (even though I probably will never use these with my iPod), and the bass response was suppose to be better than the Grado set. After slightly tweeking the bass and treble knobs on my stereo, my ears are in heaven. These fit completely over my ears and the cushion surround my ears instead of sitting on top of them. They are very comfortable. The quiet parts in the music are dead silent, and the range is phenomenal. It's so fuckin clear. Like Nothingface mentioned previously, there's so much in the music that I probably would have never really heard before and the nuances between the instruments is brilliant and stunning. Obviously great production helps, but WOW!!!!

If you're going to invest in something for your music collection great cans are the way to go. Definitely a wiser choice than buying stereo speakers (unless you're going for a 5.1 or 7.1 system)

I would have NEVER considered buying something like this if it wasn't for this topic, so a huge THANK YOU to Nothingface for starting this.

I never imagined after so many years of listening to music that I would get this excited again about how I heard it. This definitely ranks up there with the first time I listened to something recorded in 5.1...maybe more exciting, because of the thousands of cds, and hundreds of vinyl I have that will sound so much better now.

WOW!!!!!

You're welcome, Schroeder! I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who gets totally geeked over something like this. I'd love to hear them in comparison with the SR225i. They've made listening to music what I remember when I was young; really stopping your life for a little while and getting inside an album.

As a musician in the studio, I've always felt like every little thing you do, from a strumming variation to a picking accent, etc will be noticed by someone who's really into the song. So much nuance gets lost though with cheap playback. I often think, "I wonder if anyone is gonna pick up on this little thing I did here or there". I hope they do, because I put it there subtly and intentionally.

With the release of Target Earth, I knew it was time to make the investment. While the production style isn't the same as something like Pink Floyd or even Porcupine Tree, you can still hear each instrument distinctly, and perceive each performance the way they want you to hear it.

And in case the guys in Voivod are wondering... "Yeah, I heard that."

Smione
VoivodFan
Member # 1196

posted March 04, 2013 08:57     Profile for Smione   Email Smione     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nothingface and Schroeder - you are making me want to spend money I don't have on great headphones!

I have mainly listened to Target Earth with a fairly good pair of earbuds, partly cos I don't have a decent stereo right now, but also partly cos I just love the intimacy of sound you get through listening on headphones/earphones. It's such a different experience. And I absolutely agree that you pick up on subtle things you would never hear through a normal atereo - unless you had your ears right up to both speakers!

Damn you guys for making me have a lust for cans!

--------------------

WE ARE CONNECTED

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 04, 2013 09:10     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smione,

Earbuds are only giving maybe 60% of what's there. I know what you mean about spending the money. It's a chunk of money for something that isn't a dire necessity.

Check to see if there are any local high end audio shops near you, call and ask if they carry headphones. Bring a disc down there and check them out.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 04, 2013 09:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I invested in these headphones was justified from the first song I listened to. Nothingface, it's interesting to hear your point of view on this from a musician and listener's objectives.
Smione, if you can afford to get a great set of cans, go for it. Don't settle for something less expensive and then regret not putting out the extra money for something that will let you enjoy you music a 100 times more. They're definitely worth saving up for.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan