my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Let's talk about your cans! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Let's talk about your cans!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 26, 2013 03:16     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, Target Earth sparked my interest in high quality cans. Oh yeah, you heard me right, CANS! I recently learned after embarking on a foray into high-end headphones that they are commonly referred to as cans to the "head-fi" crowd.

It's a dizzying experience. Just as you would expect, there are so many cans out there to choose from. Personally, I'd like to try them all, but it's just to expensive. The money that some of them spend on them is more than my rent. Interestingly, many don't keep their current cans long, opting to move on to bigger and better things. Then, there are others who covet and keep many pairs of cans, citing that some cans were better than others depending on your musical taste and level of appreciation.

A common recommendation for me was the Grado brand. I bought a pair of their SR225i from a local hi-fi shop.

I always remember commenting while recording in studios that so much is lost between the studio monitor playback and the multitude of crappy situations your music will later be subjected to playback on. This is the closest sound I've heard to being in the studio for the recording process.

I'm sure that if I were handed an $800 or $1500 pair of cans right now that I'd be trying to dodge the rent for a month, but these $200 Grados are simply wonderful through my old Pioneer amp. My iPod, on the other hand, doesn't provide enough power to enjoy them properly.

If you aren't already experienced with the cans, be sure not to ask a any of them head-fi people what they think of "Beats by Dre". From what I've read, they are crappy cans to listen to crappy rap music through.

So, is there anyone else out there sporting unusual cans?

NP: Target Earth (through SR225i, of course)

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 26, 2013 08:02     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I'll never be able to justify spending 200 of anything on a set of headphones, as much as I'd like to. However, you're comment on 'crappy rap music' reminded me of something I read a while ago that I thought I'd share.

There's some bright minds on this forum and I'm curious to know their opinions on this...

http://www.hiphopisread.com/2012/04/secret-meeting-that-changed-rap-music.html

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 26, 2013 08:03     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh - and sorry for hi-jacking your thread! My headphones are £18 sony things that I've had for years. Anything is better than those pieces of shit that come with the ipod!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 26, 2013 09:43     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the same issues with headphones as I do sunglasses, in that I either lose them or break them, so tend to go on the cheaper side of things for that reason. I appreciate good sound in a set of cans, but would probabably never go more than $80 for a set... My current pair are falling apart now, so about embark on that journey.

Unless I absolutely need them, my preference for listening to music is out-loud on my home stereo, as the space of the room fills the experience out and I enjoy sharing the music with friends & family. My son and I tend to jam on tunes when we are playing video or board games, which is a lot of fun. Oddly enought, most of my intesive listening happens in my car on long commutes and I put a real nice Alpine system into my shitty old Honda Accord for this very purpose, haha. Heat & good tunes - all I need from a car at this stage in my life.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 26, 2013 11:04     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree on the financial end if it. I couldn't justify it til untried them out. I have what I consider a nice home setup, but it doesn't hold a candle to good headphones.

I love blasting my stereo through the house, but I knew there were nuances I was missing due to the volume.

I've had Sony and Phillips headphones for the last 20+ years ($15 and $100 variety). The sound like muffled toy headphones now.

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted February 26, 2013 11:40     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like everyone else who has posted here so far, I simply can't spend that amount of money on headphones. That and I rarely listen to things with headphones. I have a pair of "cans" that were about 50-60$, and my earbuds were $40. Good enough for me.

I also don't have any sort of fancy stereo at home - something which sounds good without being too expensive. I'd rather invest the money in my collection rather than bumping up the sound quality. After all, how much better can a low-fi black metal album sound with some over the top stereo? :P

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted February 26, 2013 12:35     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tend to go with best bang for the bug kind of cans. My home cans are:

I know. Not very fancy stuff, but not too bad either. Was a birthday (I think) present some 10 or more years ago. Comes with lifetime warranty that I have already exercised once (new pair of the same cans, only black instead of gray). What else would you ever want other than break-me-and-get-new-for-free cans?
My in-public-transit cans:

Pros: Good noise cancelers, work well when the battery runs out (hello Bose with their where-the-fuck-is-my-charger problem) and use a standard AAA battery (hello Bose, again). Sometimes I use them to listen to the silence while sleeping in public transit (including airplanes, haha).
Cons: cheap structure plastic, breaks a little bit too easily. I have two pairs of those (another pair is actually 260s, almost the same except for different noise canceling algorithm), and one of them is usually broken enough to be unusable. I need to figure out how to glue or weld them well enough so they don't break for at least several days... On my first pair, ear pads tore off after 2 years of use, fixed them with some scotch. I don't give a shit it looks ugly, let those buying Dre stuff be concerned about it.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 26, 2013 14:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a nice pair of Yamaha headphones I use when I play (attempt to play is a better term) my guitar wjhich goes through a Digitech RP2000 processor and into small Fender Frontman 25A amp when the phones are plugged into. All the other cans I used before I bought these many years ago I blew out (can't imagine what I'm doing to my ears, but I haven't blown those out yet). I think they cost me around $100 when I got them. They sound good enough. I'm not sure if I've used them for music, but I'm sure they sound good. Having a 3 nice surround systems in the house (with Polk Audio speakers in two of the 5.1 systems, and Sony speakers on the 7.1 system), it doesn't give me much reason to plug in cans to enjoy my vinyl, cds, or dvds. Although the system I have where my computer is just a 3 piece Bose cube stereo set up, so I should probably use the Yamahas in there when I spin vinyl or cds.I tend to get up too much and multi-task when I'm at home listening to music to be able to stay in one place long enough to be hooked up with headphones.
I have a pair of over the ear KOSS headphones that I use when I run with my iPod that has volume control and they have a decent sound for around $35-$40. Much better than those earbuds, or other cheap tinty, tinny, shitty sounding headphones they suggest using on potable devices.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 26, 2013 20:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW!!!! listening to my Korean version of Dimension Hatross vinyl through my Yamaha cans... I'll be doing this a lot more!!!

the 4 basic forces are ready & fixed
all set to prove myself
it really exists...

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 26, 2013 21:45     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
WOW!!!! listening to my Korean version of Dimension Hatross vinyl through my Yamaha cans... I'll be doing this a lot more!!!

the 4 basic forces are ready & fixed
all set to prove myself
it really exists...

I told you! Voivod is way better with "cans". Even better with great cans!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 26, 2013 23:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bow to your expertise, oh master of sound waves. You are indeed correct. It's nice to have great music coming through the headphones instead of my wretched guitar playing!!!

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 27, 2013 11:07     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha. My cans are wireless thingys that don't make anything sound better. And, I have two rather cheap-o stereos. I need an upgrade. Or, I need to move in with schroeder, haha. Damn, you've got it all dude. You WIN.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 27, 2013 12:10     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Had I never spent time on recording studios, I'd have never had that nagging in my mind that I know there's more depth to albums (even lo-fi black metal albums) than you hear normally.

I had a good set of Koss 25 years ago and a good set of Sony up until a few years ago, but I heard nuances on Nothingface the other night that I'd never heard before.

Strangely, I can still hear high frequencies despite the constant abuse I've subjected my ears to over the years.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 27, 2013 14:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My Yamaha's are now plugged into my stereo instead of my guitar amp, so I can now just drop the needle onto the vinyl or fire up the laser and put on the cans and enjoy the blissful sounds coming into my cranium. The cord is long enough that I can still sit in front of my computer and do what I want, or wheel around the room on my chair, or just chair-thrash to the music.
Thanks for further opening my ears and mind. I had forgotten how enjoyable it was to put on the headphones and just loose myself in the music. I don't think I've done this since my early 20's. Yesterday while listening to Dimension Hatross, I did nothing but absorb the music and follow the lyric sheet.
AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 27, 2013 19:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to my vinyl of Steven Wilson's "The Raven Who Refused To Sing" and realizing I've wasted so many years NOT using my headphones. I think I'll become a hermit and just stay in this room with my headphones on until I listen to everything in my collection!!!
These are pretty good cans, but I can only imagine what incredible cans sound like.

Look what you started Nothingface!!!

--------------------

yawn

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 27, 2013 20:19     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never really thought about the quality of headphones in my life, to be totallly honest. But since Target Earth was released, I have totally gained control of my husband's $80 gaming cans!

I may have posted about them a few weeks ago, but they are Plantronic gaming headphones with 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound that make me realize I may have been missing out all these years! The only downside? My ears really don't need this type of toruture anymore And unfortunately, my car CD player is out of commission and I haven't had the pleasure of blasting Voivod's latest in my car

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 27, 2013 21:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After what I went through with my ears, I'd never wear anything like these(would definitely blow what little hearing I have away for good). Sorry, to go negative nellie on this thread. Interesting topic....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 27, 2013 23:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those 7.1 headphones look pretty cool although they're made for gaming and have a mic.
Using my headphones allows me to listen to the music at a reasonable level so my ears aren't ringing, and it just sounds better than playing it through my Bose 3 piece system where I crank it up too loud.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 27, 2013 23:05     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought for certain that I was gonna be late to this party.

I'd always figured that for the most part headphones were pretty much the same as long as you had a good brand. When you get into the high end stuff with the "open enclosure", you can hear all the subtly and nuance, even at low volume. A really good set will give you a soundstage that you can visualize. I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to listen to Target Earth in an altered state of mind. It's a goal, and you've gotta have goals.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 27, 2013 23:54     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm wildly disappointed by the total lack of huge breasts in this thread. Carry on.

All the b(r)e(a)st,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted February 28, 2013 10:47     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
eta: and whoooosh...it was gone!

and now back to your regularly scheduled thread

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 28, 2013 15:18     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please. That dude really looks like a lady.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 28, 2013 16:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nothingface, I am now highly considering buying a pair of those Grado SR225i cans. After hearing your recommendations, and knowing how much better they will sound than the Yamahas I have... I think I'm going to have to just buy them. Putting on the headphones the last couple of days was so relaxing, and made me stay in one spot instead of getting up and doing other things while I played music. It's great to get a review on a product from someone who has the same taste in music and someone who enjoys music as much as I do. Reviews on Amazon and other places can vary so much for so many different reasons. I was considering buying an upper end turntable, but I think this is a much wiser investment. I have them in my Amazon "Wish List" now, and will more than likely buy them in a few days.

Thanks again for this thread.

Well, after doing some research on the Grado can I read a slightly better review and ended up buying these for only $179

Senneheiser HD 598

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 28, 2013 23:51     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Nothingface, I am now highly considering buying a pair of those Grado SR225i cans. After hearing your recommendations, and knowing how much better they will sound than the Yamahas I have... I think I'm going to have to just buy them. Putting on the headphones the last couple of days was so relaxing, and made me stay in one spot instead of getting up and doing other things while I played music. It's great to get a review on a product from someone who has the same taste in music and someone who enjoys music as much as I do. Reviews on Amazon and other places can vary so much for so many different reasons. I was considering buying an upper end turntable, but I think this is a much wiser investment. I have them in my Amazon "Wish List" now, and will more than likely buy them in a few days.

Thanks again for this thread.

Well, after doing some research on the Grado can I read a slightly better review and ended up buying these for only $179

Senneheiser HD 598

I'd read a bunch of reviews and was leaning to the AKG or Senneheisers at first. I notice that each brand and model performs differently with different music styles. The knock on the Grado series that I have is that it isn't "bassy" enough. Through my home stereo, they are perfect. Through the iPod, they lack since there's not enough amp to drive them.

I really recommend that you check out your local hi-fi shops and listen to what they have in stock. The one here near me carries a couple brands. I brought my "Stars Die" disc with me so I could hear something familiar with them. I walked out with the SR225i without the slightest doubt. Not only is the headroom seemingly infinite and soundstage colossal, but I felt like I could finally appreciate the band's intended feel for the first time.

That Senneheiser review sounds impressive too! They don't mention whether they are open or closed style though. Either way, I'd imagine you wouldn't be at all disappointed with those.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 01, 2013 00:27     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and I almost forgot!!!

I decided the other night to put on the Target Earth vinyl and the CD and toggle back and forth to see if I could really pick up a difference.

My "studies" revealed that clean vinyl and a CD replicate almost the same. The CD is louder, as expected. Where the vinyl wins out is in the headroom. It's vast and quite noticeably different from the more boxy digital headroom.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan