my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Reviews for Target Earth thread (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Reviews for Target Earth thread
Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted January 11, 2013 13:39     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thought this would be a good place to start listing reviews of the new album. I'll start out with my own review, which went up today at Hellbound.ca
http://www.hellbound.ca/2013/01/voivod-target-earth/

Hellbound Target Earth review

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 11, 2013 16:50     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice, I read this earlier today. I like that you give away very little.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted January 16, 2013 11:25     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For those who don't want to / can't wait...
now streaming
here

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 17, 2013 12:35     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't really wait but still I must endure just for the sake of being able to put the CD in, headphones on, and sit down with a cold one in one hand and new Away art in the other...and be immersed in a new chapter of the VV saga again for the first time in so many years!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 17, 2013 13:45     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
these are the times which try fan's souls...

-Thomas Paine

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 17, 2013 15:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still trying to hold off until a get a hard copy also... it ain't easy, but I think it will be worth it!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 18, 2013 15:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/01/18/target-ears-listen-to-new-voivod-album-now/
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 18, 2013 16:52     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to the stream right now. Quick impressions:

* It's definitely self-produced; it sounds like the band is right there in the room with you. This is despite the not-that-great sound quality of the stream...I expect the CD will have an even more immediate "you are there" feeling.

* The Blower Bass! Wholly phuck, that's the missing link that makes Voivod Voivod.. Welcome back, Blacky...you were definitely missed.

* Speaking of bass, and guitar, the two intertwine, interact, and ping-pong off each other throughout, just like on all of Nothingface.

* Someone really must ask Chewy how he can channel the ghost of Piggy so easily. Dan isn't aping Piggy so much as he's paying tribute to him...there are more than enough stylistic differences here, and most of the solos are Chewy-esque. Different, and yet he fits so well into Voivod that it's ridiculous...almost like Chewy is Piggy's (spirit) brother. Spooky!

* Drumming? Yup...that double-kick bass drum is there, front and center. Away smokes thoughout, just like you knew he would.

* Snake's voice is readily identifiable, although I have a hard time deciphering what he's singing. He's somewhat down in the mix, leaving the instruments front and center. It's as if his voice is a phantom, floating in and out, just out of reach.

* The whole thing sounds...sinister

Target: Earth
Verdict: Awesome

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 19, 2013 11:52     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here will be my personal Target Earth review.

After i dry my eyes and clean my underwear.

If this masterpiece doesn't sell 1.000.000 copies mankind may die......

What a masterpiece. The sun shines bright in Morgoth land....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

phobos777
VoivodFan
Member # 1275

posted January 19, 2013 12:05     Profile for phobos777   Email phobos777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

YES!!!!!! - Great Review -

--------------------

Inside a giant particle accelerator,a beam of protons,traveling at near the speed of light meets a beam of antiprotons moving equally fast in the opposite direction.The protons and mirror-image antiprotons annihilate each other,creating the fiery chaos of a parallel micro-galaxy.Experiment one complete,the VOIVOD goes into that new dimension,meeting different civilisations and psychic entities,extracting knowledge and energy in the eight programs of this project called: D I M E N S I O N H A T R Ö S S

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted January 21, 2013 10:49     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know for years that the Blower bass and Blacky were missing badly to the Voivod sound.

I have a great appreciation for the Mongrain's work with Martyr and Voivod shows, so i know he won't disappoint us...

But Target Earth is way beyond all my expectations. What a f.. great album!

Forget about Infini, Katorz or the s/t. That is incredible shit, complex, twisty, multidirection, hard, thrash... Very difficult to classify. There are "unclassifiable", just like and want them!

It's not like old days anymore, the 1980's are over, but Voivod still there with a great "in your face" sound. Very actual, very fine.

Interactions between Blacky and Chewy, the voice and the sound of Snake, the drumming performance, everything is perfectly fine for a new classic album. The one I was waiting for more than twenty years!

Thanks to Blacky for being back. Is bass performance is the only one who really fit with Voivod (no direspect to all the other bassists, but Blacky is the man!)

Thanks to Voivod for this album that will spin without interruption for the next couple of months...

I hope a great success, and will spread the word to help!

Cheers!!!!!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 21, 2013 21:42     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seb YB1:
Forget about Infini, Katorz or the s/t.

you've got to be kidding me!?!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 22, 2013 10:46     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatröss:
you've got to be kidding me!?!

This 3 albums are filling the gap between the Phobos album and Target Earth.

I carry Voivod in my heart always and forever but I agree about these albums being not their best.

Target Earth is superb, just like phobos that is very very underestimated.

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 22, 2013 13:39     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I first heard Nothingface in 1989, I instantly knew it was a record I'd be listening to for decades. I feel the very same way about this record. So much texture to explore. It won't get old. Sadly, I can't feel the same way about the last three.

Full review to come...

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 22, 2013 13:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you need to give it a few days and take another listen. That's pure Voivod on this record. I feel is a large mix of Killing Texhnology and Nothingface, with elements of every other record mixed in.

Sonically, I think this record is for Blacky what TOL is for Piggy.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 22, 2013 14:02     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think we all feel a great loyalty to Piggy, and I think Piggy would greatly approve of Dan's contribution on this record.
reluctantking
VoivodFan
Member # 653

posted January 22, 2013 14:22     Profile for reluctantking   Email reluctantking     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As an almost non-entity here, I respectfully disagree here with what has been said about Dan's identity on the new record. I think that when he solos it is completely obvious that he is not Piggy. It sounds a lot more technical but somehow fits. And the riffs and the songwriting in general is awesome! It's the record I have wanted to hear for a long time.

The last record that I was totally into was PHOBOS and its frightening sound. I have nothing really bad to say about the Newsted records. They are okay. I think it is awesome that Jason helped them out and saw things through with the posthumous Piggy recordings. That is great.

But the new record and the Dan/Blacky partnership is just awesome. You also have to remember that Blacky helped Piggy co write all (or at least a good deal) of the stuff that most fans hold very near and dear to them. So in essence, it is a extremely capable and studied uber-fan of Piggy stepping in and doing it right. If I played guitar, that is exactly how I would have approached it too. I would put so many Piggy chords in there it wouldn't be funny! And there are also some Piggy type things he does that doesn't sound exactly like him, just reminiscent.

If Dan stepped in and played guitar like say, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Jimmy Page and if that was his identity I don't think ANYONE would like it or champion the braveness of someone doing that. They would say, "What the fuck is this shit doing on a VoiVod album?"

There are certain things I would expect from a VoiVod record and one of them is guitar playing that is unique, atonal and incredible. And since Piggy can't be there I think Dan naturally and quite deftly was able to step into some big shoes.

Okay, thanks.

roman1972
VoivodFan
Member # 1187

posted January 22, 2013 15:26     Profile for roman1972   Email roman1972     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
in my opinion every single member really "shines" on this record...you know what I mean? it IS the masterpiece I was kinda hoping for! and I agree with some other folks on this thread: the last three records (exept for INFINI which was really good, but not a classic) didn't work for me either...didn't like the straight forward-rock kinda vibe! for me VOIVOD is about weird time-signatures, dischords and the blower bass
for me personally TARGET EARTH is the ultimate follow-up to PHOBOS...and I loved PHOBOS!!! VOIVOD LIVES...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 22, 2013 15:32     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reluctantking:
If Dan stepped in and played guitar like say, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Jimmy Page and if that was his identity I don't think ANYONE would like it or champion the braveness of someone doing that. They would say, "What the fuck is this shit doing on a VoiVod album?"

actually voivod has switched up quite a bit thru the years with Piggy sounding completely different from DH to AR and TOL to Phobos... it's the switcharoo which has been a big part of defining voivod imo.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 22, 2013 15:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
When I first heard Nothingface in 1989, I instantly knew it was a record I'd be listening to for decades. I feel the very same way about this record. So much texture to explore. It won't get old. Sadly, I can't feel the same way about the last three.

Full review to come...

I felt the same way.

Target Earth has everything I love about this band in it and then some. After about 12 listens already I'm still blown away and just can't seem to find a reason to stop listening to it. Instant timeless classic.

Dan's been with Voivod for 5 years and grew up being a fan so there's obviously going to be a lot of Piggy influence in his playing; however I feel Dan has put his own signature into Voivod and helped make this new album what it is... BRILLIANT. You can hear there's 4 equally talented musicians just "bringing it" and creating an album that's as unique as anything else they've done without sounding like a rehashed classic of an older album. Voivod have created something different with every release and that's why I (and probably most people here) love this band. They've evolved, mutated, transformed... but still they are VOIVOD.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 22, 2013 18:03     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Years ago, after Piggy died, there was a thread on here where we all debated whether of not we'd like to see them "carry on". I believe I came down on the side of the fence that said they should not go on without him. Inside I was worried what Voivod would sound like with an SRV or Page on guitar. I'd always felt that Piggy was inimitable. Not only was I wrong, but I'm also seeing how well someone who "feels" Voivod the way we do, can not only get inside the sound of the band, but also begin to add some elements to it. Chewy did the "unthinkable" at times on this record. He took the band into uncharted territory, which is exactly what we always want from them, and it works! Pay attention and you'll notice some really badass "non-Voivod" melodies and leads on this record. Except now, they ARE Voivod.

This fucking band just makes me happy to be alive on days like this.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 22, 2013 18:05     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reluctantking:
As an almost non-entity here, I respectfully disagree here with what has been said about Dan's identity on the new record. I think that when he solos it is completely obvious that he is not Piggy. It sounds a lot more technical but somehow fits. And the riffs and the songwriting in general is awesome! It's the record I have wanted to hear for a long time.

The last record that I was totally into was PHOBOS and its frightening sound. I have nothing really bad to say about the Newsted records. They are okay. I think it is awesome that Jason helped them out and saw things through with the posthumous Piggy recordings. That is great.

But the new record and the Dan/Blacky partnership is just awesome. You also have to remember that Blacky helped Piggy co write all (or at least a good deal) of the stuff that most fans hold very near and dear to them. So in essence, it is a extremely capable and studied uber-fan of Piggy stepping in and doing it right. If I played guitar, that is exactly how I would have approached it too. I would put so many Piggy chords in there it wouldn't be funny! And there are also some Piggy type things he does that doesn't sound exactly like him, just reminiscent.

There are certain things I would expect from a VoiVod record and one of them is guitar playing that is unique, atonal and incredible. And since Piggy can't be there I think Dan naturally and quite deftly was able to step into some big shoes.

Okay, thanks.

You REALLY should post here more often.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 23, 2013 09:29     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, all I can say about Target Earth is: WOW! Those are my first impressions:

Great album, from begining to end. It sounds like what I fell in love with when I first heard "Nothingface": weird, rich chords, contrapunctal overdriven bass... this is pure ear candy!

I love Chewy's guitar tones on the album: not to much gain, lots of mids, very "woody" and clear. And the solos? They blow me away. His soloing style reminds me of Marty Friedman and Alan Holdsworth.

His riffs are both familiar sounding (for a Voïvod fan!) and forward looking. Some of the more ambient tunes (Empathy, Warchaic) are just incredible, and really take me on a trip.

I can also tell that Blacky is part of the Voïvod sound and composition. Glad he's back!

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted January 23, 2013 13:46     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This album kills. Target: Earth.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 23, 2013 15:13     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonut:
This album kills. Target: Earth.

Truth!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan