my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Chewy Interview

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chewy Interview
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 08, 2013 18:09     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noisecreep

As if we're not already dying to hear Target Earth already.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 08, 2013 19:04     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
...So what have been those missing ingredients? The random bits of DNA missing from the gene strand behind Voivod classics like 1988's Dimension Hatross? Ask Mongrain, and like any true Voivod fan, they'll look you dead in the eye and tell you: bassist Blacky's notorious "Blower Bass" sound. Target Earth marks the recorded return of Voivod's founding bass-man. From the album's title-track opener, it's pretty apparent.

"It's really his hands," the guitarist points out. 'It's not his bass. It's not his amp. It's not his pedals. It's the way he plays. I can assure you that the secret of the "Blower Bass" is Blacky himself. He could play with a Fender Jazz bass through a mini amplifier and it would still sound the same! He plays really hard on the strings. It's in the way he grooves. It reminds me of Chris Squire, the bass player from Yes with the sound and attack of Lemmy. The other bass players like Eric and Jason were following the riffs. Blacky plays bass like a second guitar!"

Ahem.

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted January 09, 2013 03:28     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, Luna!

quote:
After a few years, I can say that the vibe is good, we're having fun and the fans have accepted me – not as a replacement for Piggy – but as another person who has been part of Voivod's long, strange journey.

Crank this up!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 09, 2013 08:24     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was a terrific interview. Best I've read from this band in a long long time.....great questions by somebody who knew something about the band.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 09, 2013 11:04     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It really hits home, doesn't it? And that's because Dan is so damn sincere, just like all of the Voivod dudes.

12 more days...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 09, 2013 22:08     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
It really hits home, doesn't it? And that's because Dan is so damn sincere, just like all of the Voivod dudes.

12 more days...

Yes!!!

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted January 10, 2013 13:40     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
12 more days...

Reminds me... You all saw the album teaser videos, right?

RIGHT??

A phone call... A sinister whisper...

"12 DAYS!..."

Pass the word around to survive.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan