my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hearing Fun

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hearing Fun
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 08, 2012 07:56     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to years and years of metal, jazz, gunfire, and chainsaws at extreme volumes.....I recently developed this fun little condition that sounds like I have an old refrigerator(insert any annoying appliance here) jammed in my left eardrum and running constantly. After a brief search on the net I discovered this is called tinnitus. Nobody to blame but myself for not protecting my hearing so I'm not gonna cry about it....but I was just curious if anybody else here was experiencing this as well. I know I'm not the only one around here who has abused the hell out of their hearing.............and the great news is that there is no cure for it! Apparently the Pentagon is working on something due to the high number of vets who have the problem....but they're still a couple of years out from any real solution. And who knows, they may never be able to figure it out.....
 |  IP: Logged
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted December 08, 2012 08:38     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a damaged left ear, what is kinda numb and sounds like if there's water inside. It's more from driving vintage ralley and sports cars, as it is from music. I always thought headsets look stupid and over the top, but now I know that the only stupid thing was me..

I guess a tinnitus is much worser, because you constantly hear it.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 08, 2012 09:31     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Both ears are fucked up. When i am in a silent place like bed or alone somewhere i hear a constant whistle in both ears.

Most of it due to circumstances we all know about. There were concerts in the past that were really bad for the ears.

Venom in Paradiso Amsterdam comes to mind... This was so loud, unimaginable. First song they played was Too loud for the crowd, i recall.

Voivod in 2009 in Helmond was bad also. I was directly after the concert for 2 weeks with rather painfull ears. This is also when the whisteling began. Thankyou Voivod.

A little bit late but now i have perfectly fitting earplugs. They are also helpfull while playing with my, also very loud, band.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted December 08, 2012 17:54     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any Motorhead show is enough to give you tinnitus...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 08, 2012 17:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome to Pete Townshend's world. He's had it since the 70's.
I have couple friends who have it also... I'll add you to the list.
Sorry for ya, Mez.
I can't even say, "Hope you feel better" since there's no cure.
I guess "Good Luck" is the best I can say. I know it can be a real bitch to deal with and can bring on major headaches and migraines.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 08, 2012 19:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry about your situation Lee. I wasn't very wise about protecting my hearing when I was a teenager (and sometimes still), but have so far been lucky, I suppose. It certainly serves as a reminder of the importance of ear protection at shows and in other situations.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 08, 2012 20:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know what was the catalyst for my condition? Ironically enough when I got those damn polk audios installed in my car! Can you believe that? Plus the first thing I played was the new Hendrix live at Berkeley release....After about 15 minutes of that Boom! that was it. I can't blame it all on the Jimi and Polk audio of course but yea, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.....

Paulll & DBC....check this link...looks encouraging:
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/video/tinnitus-treatment

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted December 09, 2012 11:29     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I may have it to some degree as well, but I still hear most frequencies well. The last couple bands I've played with, had simply painfully deafening practice rooms.

I hear a pitch at night when it's quiet, and I'm alone, but that situation is rare so I don't notice it much. I also sleep with a fan on year round, which I think helps.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 09, 2012 11:50     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was getting the piss taken out of me for wearing earplugs in the pub yesterday. Is a good idea to always keep a pair on you though, given the amount of gigs I've been to without, I'm lucky I don't have this yet!

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 10, 2012 13:01     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
You know what was the catalyst for my condition? Ironically enough when I got those damn polk audios installed in my car! Can you believe that? Plus the first thing I played was the new Hendrix live at Berkeley release....After about 15 minutes of that Boom! that was it. I can't blame it all on the Jimi and Polk audio of course but yea, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.....

Paulll & DBC....check this link...looks encouraging:
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/video/tinnitus-treatment

wow, this is cool.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 10, 2012 14:35     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yikes! I'm probably well on my way to that awful condition. Thanks for that link Mez.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 11, 2012 05:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I've been finding things uncomfortably "too loud" over the last year or so, even being on the train, in restaurants, in the pub etc, never mind at gigs. I think that is probably a warning sign.

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 11, 2012 06:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Villainess....those are the first signs...you are correct. About a year ago I'd noticed extra sensitivity in certain situations....so definitely beware! You don't want this........
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 11, 2012 15:28     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah - I've been warned! Always carry earplugs with me now.

--------------------

String em up

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 17, 2012 02:55     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
I was getting the piss taken out of me for wearing earplugs in the pub yesterday.

She who laughs last and so on Carry on!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan