my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Free Pussy Riot (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Free Pussy Riot
hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 15, 2012 15:50     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://freepussyriot.org/

Three young women are being held in Moscow prison for performing a "punk prayer" "Our Lady, Expel Putin!" in the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. They are facing criminal charges, and a prospect of 3 years in a labour camp.

Join Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stephen Fry, Sting, Madonna, Patty Smith, Terry Gilliam and other artists in saying NO to the new holy inquisition.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

|  IP: Logged
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 15, 2012 17:26     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I certainly hope I'll have to eat my words very soon, but it does not seem very likely that the current leadership would listen, let alone give in to (mostly foreign?) protesters' demands. But then again I only know what our media tells us about the situation in Moscow, which is almost nothing. Any news hex?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 15, 2012 22:57     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread is not at all what I thought it was going to be...

J/K. I've been reading about this for a while. You've got to have a serious set of brass ones to thumb your nose at THAT government. This is one reason of many that while we are not perfect, there are some freedoms we still enjoy.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted August 16, 2012 11:30     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
[QB]This thread is not at all what I thought it was going to be...

^ LOL

They're essentially jailed for what would be "disorderly conduct" in the US. A pretty dumb idea to stage a "protest" during a church service. What *could* be the outcome of such a thing? I mean seriously, what if they just let the girls go with a slap on the wrist? That would essentially send the message that houses of worship are free targets for whatever soapbox issue you have. OF COURSE they're gonna get spanked, and rightfully so. I do think the length of time is a bit on the draconian side, however.

Kids these days...

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 16, 2012 12:00     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
News? The news is, the shades of gray are disappearing. All Russian press is talking about the girls, and there are no "balanced" opinions on the matter. Either "Kill the bitches", or "They should be free, NOW."

Serious set of brass ones? haha. yes, these girls got balls.

Paulie, they didn't come in during the service. They came in when the church was almost empty. In a normal country, a slap of the wrist would suffice, but not in a country where pseudo-Christianity is replacing the CPSU propaganda unit, and The President is Divine.

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 16, 2012 13:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the reports I've been reading have been pretty fair about the situation. Then again, we're not getting the local press on it.

While most understand the usual public decency/disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct ramifications of their actions; the media focus has been on the severity of the punishment. In the old days, wouldn't you disappear to Siberia or worse for something that flaunts a rebellious ideal like this?

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 17, 2012 10:13     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The verdict: 2 years of labour camps. Maybe in Siberia.
That's the point, nf, the old days that were thought to be long gone are coming back. The disappearances didn't start overnight, they started with 2 year sentences.

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted August 17, 2012 17:08     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's fucked.

--------------------

-----------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 18, 2012 03:27     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, they're crucifying people in Egypt for speaking out against the government, so while the 2 years in a labor camp is harsh; it could be worse.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 18, 2012 17:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FTW

--------------------

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 19, 2012 19:08     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great article by one of the leading Russian journalists, Oleg Kashin.
Insulted Putin makes millions of us feel his pain

--------------------

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 20, 2012 09:39     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was enlightening, thanks hex. That kind of critical analyses are practically impossible to find in our mainstream media.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 20, 2012 11:57     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted August 21, 2012 20:54     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The media circus has worked against them, now I hope they get executed. Fuck Pussy Riot.

--------------------

-----------------

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 22, 2012 03:23     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
The media circus has worked against them, now I hope they get executed. Fuck Pussy Riot.

Wow, Vlad's hacked into Paulie's account!?!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 22, 2012 21:17     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doubt it, he just likes to hate on shit

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 26, 2012 12:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks like a couple of them have freed themselves. I'd imagine that's gonna make it a bit tougher on the last one.
hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 27, 2012 15:06     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Looks like a couple of them have freed themselves. I'd imagine that's gonna make it a bit tougher on the last one.

No, the three are still in jail. The two (of the five) have never been caught, they're now trying to imprison them as well.

--------------------

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 27, 2012 16:10     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We're going there in October, I will do my best to not get in any trouble, wouldn't like to be the next one on the list...j/k

is wearing a pussy riot balaclava an offense, wondering?

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted August 27, 2012 16:29     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
is wearing a pussy riot balaclava an offense, wondering?

It is, now. 6 people were arrested last week for just walking down the central street in balaclavas. Wearing a balaclava is immediately considered organizing an unapproved manifestation, the same as carrying banners or shouting slogans, etc. Which is against the fresh anti-manifestation laws that were introduced this Summer.

--------------------

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 27, 2012 17:43     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I maybe stock in Russia for a while. Sound similar to the law they pass here during the student protests.

The closing statements from Nadezhda Tolokonnikova in trial 8 august 2012

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 28, 2012 03:29     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
new pussy riot song, AMAZING!!! freedom....
Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted August 29, 2012 11:14     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great tune! Ok, they're back on my good side.

Seriously though... Nonviolent civil disobedience is a crucial tool for protest and change. While I do not agree with the location they picked (Why protest Putin in a church??), I do agree with the sentiment. And it was confirmed by the clearly draconian sentences.

Plus, at least one of them is hot.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

-----------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted October 10, 2012 12:23     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just an update: Pussy Riot Member Yekaterina Samutsevich Freed On Appeal; Sentence Upheld For Others

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/yekaterina-samutsevich-free-puss y-riot-member_n_1953739.html

--------------------

-----------------

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted July 22, 2013 14:40     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Scores of musicians urge Russia to release Pussy Riot
quote:
More than 100 internationally renowned musicians have joined a worldwide call for the release of the two jailed members of the Russian feminist punk group Pussy Riot ahead of their parole appeal hearings this week.

One of the signatories to an open letter, Yoko Ono, says: "I thank Pussy Riot for standing firmly in their belief for Freedom of Expression, and making all women of the world proud to be women."

Amnesty International coordinated the open letter by the artists as part of its on-going campaign to free Pussy Riot members 25-year-old Maria Alekhina and 23-year-old Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, who were jailed last year after taking part in a protest at Moscow’s main Orthodox cathedral.

“The Pussy Riot case has shocked musicians all over the world and we’ve had an incredible response to the call to sign this letter,” said Lucy Macnamara, Communications Manager for Art for Amnesty.

“Several musicians have told me that if you can’t sing a protest song without fear of arrest then something is badly wrong. Let’s hope the Russian authorities finally see sense and release Maria and Nadezhda.”

In the letter, the musicians pledge their support and state that the impact of Pussy Riot’s “shockingly unjust trial and imprisonment has spread far and wide, especially among your fellow artists, musicians and citizens around the world.”

The letter continues, “While understanding the sensitivities of protesting in a place of worship, we ask that the Russian authorities review these harsh sentences, so that you may return to your children, your families and your lives.”

The parole hearings on 24 and 26 July come almost a year after the start of the heavily publicized trial of Alekhina, Tolokonnikova and a third group member, Ekaterina Samutsevich. The three were charged with “hooliganism on grounds of religious hatred” after Pussy Riot performed a protest song in Moscow’s main Orthodox cathedral in February 2012. They were convicted and sentenced to two years imprisonment.

Amnesty International described the outcome as a “bitter blow for freedom of expression” in Russia, and named all three Pussy Riot members prisoners of conscience.

Samutsevich was later released on probation, but appeals by Alekhina and Tolokonnikova have been turned down.

The full list of artists includes:
Bryan Adams, Adele, Alt-J, Laurie Anderson, Animal Collective, Anti-Flag, Arcade Fire, Arch Enemy, Archive, Joan Armatrading, Joan Baez, Beardyman, Jeff Beck, Yasiin Bey, björk, Rubén Blades, Billy Bragg, Jackson Browne, Peter Buck, Tracy Chapman, Chase & Status, The Chemical Brothers, Neneh Cherry, The Clash, Coldplay, Lily Rose Cooper, Dido, Django Django, Melissa Etheridge, Siobhan Fahey, Paloma Faith, First Aid Kit, Franz Ferdinand, Foster the People, fun., Peter Gabriel, Bob Geldof, Kim Gordon, Debbie Harry, PJ Harvey, Don Henley, The Hidden Cameras, Niall Horan, Billy Joel, Sir Elton John, Ke$ha, Angelique Kidjo, The Knife, Mark Knopfler, Tom Lehrer, Sean Lennon, Annie Lennox, Lykke Li, Sir Paul McCartney, Romy Madley-Croft, Madonna, Zayn Malik, Stephen Malkmus, Marina & the Diamonds, Johnny Marr, Massive Attack, Mike Mills, Moby, Thurston Moore, Tom Morello, Alanis Morissette, James Morrison, Graham Nash, Kate Nash, Youssou N'Dour, Karen O, Yoko Ono, Clock Opera, Ozzy Osbourne, Liam Payne, Peaches, Joe Perry, Phoenix, Rain Phoenix, Portishead, Portugal. The Man, Cat Power, Radiohead, Bonnie Raitt, Rise Against, Patti Scialfa, Scissor Sisters, Paul Simon, Sleigh Bells, Patti Smith, Esperanza Spalding, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Stewart, Sting, Michael Stipe, Harry Styles, Neil Tennant, Louis Tomlinson, Pete Townshend, K T Tunstall, U2, Eddie Vedder.

Maybe Voivod could sign too?

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan