my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Jon Lord, RIP

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jon Lord, RIP
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 16, 2012 18:58     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sad news indeed! Rest in peace!

Jon Lord has sadly passed away

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted July 16, 2012 23:35     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GOD DAMN FUCKING CANCER!!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Jon Lord; Ronnie James Dio; Tony Iommi (still alive, thankfully)...who else will be fucking killed by this?! We need a fucking cure and we need it fucking NOW!!!!!

------

You'll have to excuse me, but this fucking cancer thing is somewhat personal for me. Son of a bitch...fuck I am so pissed right now. 71 is too fucking young to die.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 17, 2012 11:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rest in Peace, you badass.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 17, 2012 13:45     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
R.I.P. Master of Monstrous Hammond Sounds...

Too many have died because of this terrible disease.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted July 17, 2012 16:24     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've calmed down a little, so let me just say that Jon Lord was incredible...no other word will do. The first time I heard Smoke on the Water on the radio, at age 10 or thereabouts, I was awestruck. Understand that this was the live version of the song, with the organ pyrotechnics at the end... Made a lifelong impression on me that continues decades later.

R.I.P.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 17, 2012 19:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sad indeed. Deep Purple just isn't the same without Jon at the keys. Don Airey is good, but Jon Lord was a fuckin' GOD. he will be greatly missed indeed. Yeah, 71 is way to fuckin' young ; but it is a little reassuring that these legends died of something that was out of their control and not something stupid like a drug overdose.
He will always be remembered and his music will live on for eternity.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 17, 2012 22:35     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
...but it is a little reassuring that these legends died of something that was out of their control and not something stupid like a drug overdose.

Huh, it is kind of amazing that after all these years all of this band has survived (with the sad expecption of Tommy Bolin).

And agreed, Jon Lord was a GOD! Dude was THE best at what he did.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 18, 2012 00:25     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted July 18, 2012 06:57     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We blasted Machine Head in his honour the other night after hearing the sad news!

71 rocker years = 106.5 regular years at least

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 18, 2012 19:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I cranked up FIREBALL today at work... still a mind blowing album and LORD just lets loose all over it. Tomorrow I'll be spinning Who Do You Think We Are & Abandon in his memory.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 19, 2012 02:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking sad. One of the originals in his field...FUCK, the ORIGINAL! RIP, man.

--------------------

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted July 19, 2012 10:04     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just introduced Machine Head to my kids a couple of weeks ago. Not forgetting to point out Lord's incredible piano talent being an example for them to follow.
It was also one of the very first heavy albums I've heard. His playing still inspires me today like it did XX years ago.
Have an easy transition, Jon.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan