my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » ROADBURN REPORT SECTION (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: ROADBURN REPORT SECTION
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 20, 2012 07:23     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
what you said about Sleep sorta raises my eyebrows, like did they change their sound or something? Was Matt Pike really wasted (probably LOL!)? To tell you the truth I know a lot more about High on Fire than Sleep, but they are gonna play here in 2 months and I plan on going.

No, no change to their sound. Pike was not really wasted (though he might want to get the Coroner workout DVD). Neurosis' J. Roeder did a terrific job on drums. Big Al seemed a bit shy about singing, at least on Dragonaut, but for some reason it wasn't the show for me.
Talk to 800 other Roadburners and you'll get a totally different review

They'll be in Antwerp next month, with Harvey Milk, Storm of Light & Jex Thoth, might give it another go!

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 20, 2012 12:18     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha, most excellent DBC! Love it.

Leslie (sorry dear, cannot for the life of me remember the number sequence of your name on here..ooops) THANKS! I knew you'd understand. I love reading your reviews. And you got it right as far as the wending our way round the venues, small and crowded rooms and stairwells, only to find the band you'd wanted to see was not at all what one expected. Though, I do love the AHA moments and mine was definitely KONG.

I missed Sleep, though saw the pics of Matt's gut. Damn dude, time to take a break and get yourself right, no? Or, a good reminder to me to watch my pints o beer intake so I don't look that rugged come middle of summer, haha.

Oh and I loved Virus very very much. Whoa. Never heard them before.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 20, 2012 12:23     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
there will always be a bike or 2 (billion) for you here.

My heaven...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 20, 2012 13:11     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 20, 2012 20:30     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I missed Purson, but Karl ran into the singer in the bar. Apparently she got to the festival to find that one of her band members had jizzed into her make up bag and ruined all her make up.
Leslie I couldn't get into Sleep or Obsessed either. Necros Christos were the band of the day for me on Saturday, I wasn't overly blown away by any of the others.
Did anyone else catch Black Breath? Shame about the overlap there!

Anyway I have pictures from the gallery, hope it's alright to put them up, if not I'll take them down again!

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 20, 2012 20:33     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 20, 2012 23:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks HV for posting those photos of Away's gallery show.

--------------------

yawn

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 21, 2012 02:32     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pics Mat, I did only make one there...

Btw, the print at the right on your last pic hangs on my wall in a couple of weeks. Damn I'm extremely pleased to get me a real Away print

I liked the exhibition too. Looking at some fine art and drinking beer out of the bottle

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 21, 2012 05:45     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vroom: more great pix! Love the Hand of Doom (or is it Igor) reaching out to Chewy in that picture. The Snake portrait is Forlorn personified.

DBC: I bought some Away art, too! The Angel Rat spider pulling the carnival trailer is going to be a birthday surprise for a deeply arachnophobic Voivod-worshipping friend in the UK who once again failed to make it to Roadburn and then moaned about it

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted April 21, 2012 06:26     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh wow! thank you HV for sharing the gallery photos! those all look so amazing and crisp!

i wonder if prints will ever be available through the iron gang. i'd really love to buy a few of them.

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 21, 2012 07:13     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
I
Did anyone else catch Black Breath? Shame about the overlap there!

Almost! But not quite...alas. Aside from some serious clashes, Friday the 13th, aka Voivod's Au-dela du Reel day, was a very lucky day this year:
1)Nachtmystium - despite the raaaawwwwwrahrahraaaaah vox, the more traditional "horseback riding metal" elements made it a groovier live experience than expected. Couldn't stay long though: got two serious clashes to contend with, flip a coin and I'm off
2) Farflung - starts off promising, reminding me of NL's late great 35007. Until the singing starts, which creates a peculiar effect that is both dated and commercial to my ears, and distracts from the psychedelic trippiness. During the first break, the singer makes this corny speech about how great it is to be at Roadburn, a place "with all my brothers" -- pfft, look around, man, there are plenty of sisters here, too. In the crowd, working behind the scenes, selling the merch, playing in bands...
Time to make a break and use the best 'secret passageway' in the entire 013: the little door from the Green Room balcony to batcave aka stage01 but we all know it as the
3) EOLB stage! They're already well into their set, and everyone is rocking out, including none other than Blacky, who I realize at some point is standing next to me. Luna already pointed out the booby tattoo, it was weirdly hypnotic LOL
I think it's safe to say the average Roadburner loves British comedy, and Harry's stage banter had the crowd in stitches, with cheerful announcements along the lines of, "This next one is a love song...like Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a chick flick!" Granted, to most of the women in the audience, TX Chainsaw Massacre IS a chick flick, but we know what you meant, h
4) JG Thirwell's Manorexia - brilliant choice on the part of Voivod. Chamber music, Roadburn-style. Perfectly timed, too. Wonderful to sit back and appreciate the musicianship and backdrop art of floating jellyfish (among other images). Time to flip a coin again: Kong or Solstafir?
5) KONG - another excellent choice by our beloved curators Voivod. Even though we arrive halfway through, it's effortless getting into it, as the band has hit their stride and everyone is grooving
6) Witch - at times it's like an early black flag 45, chicken-fried and played on 33, which sounds great, but after a few songs some unknown force pulls us out of the main hall and propels us in the direction of the green room for a completely unexpected highlight
7) Valient Thorr - "I look good! I feel good! I smell good! I AM GOOD!" That about sums it up. Here I'd pegged them as some novelty act, but they tore the place up! Dude sang as frighteningly fast as Kurt Brecht with the same crystal-clear diction, backed up by tandem guitars that switched from metal shrieking to bluesy melodies, and unrelenting drum 'n bass. It was wild, and everyone around me had a massive grin plastered across their face, proving once again in the same day that 'burners love a good laugh. Having so much fun we missed the first part of
8 )YOB - YES. Missing the first part is more than compensated for, as they end with the stunning Adrift in the Ocean from Atma
9) VOIVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD -
Dimension Hatross.
Man in the Trees w/ Dan K.
Jack Luminous.
Crowd obliging when Snake asks to help create a get well soon message for soundman Caz (spelling?)
As I'm not an "everything voivod does is perfect, and anyone who claims otherwise is [fill in expletives of choice]" type of fan, I will say that the sound suffered at times, both nights; it could have been cranked up a bit Thurs., and toned down a bit Fri. At the same time, I'm not a sound obsessive, either, so that's that!
Really, it was a magical performance. Afterwards, time to drift around beaming like a fool, murmuring nonsensical superlative-laden things in unknown tongues
10) Anekdoten - and yet another great choice by our curators. After the Dimension Hatross extravaganza, to go over to Dopethrone (or Gnod) would have caused the Roadburn version of the bends, so I stayed in the main hall for a while, peacefully floating down the sound resounds. Until...
11) Celeste - So much for avoiding any shocks to the system. The aural equivalent of a firing squad, and visually all smoke and strobes and red death rays, mon dieu! Better than Huata (save them for next year's edition of the fest), and I never did make it to the gleeful crustfest that was DOOM -- though everyone I know who did was ebullient
11b) piiizzaaaaaa!

This was by far my favorite of the curated Fridays, and I say that without prejudice. At first, it was unclear whether it was going to work; Voivod had never really done anything of the sort, whereas previous curators such as Neurosis and Sunn O))) were well-versed in the logistics and business side of things; after all, they run their own labels, and have been accustomed to "putting on their own show" for years.
So, WELL DONE, VOIVOD!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 21, 2012 09:02     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I did hear that the organisers had to over-sell tickets due to the demands that Killing Joke made, I dunno if this is true or not.
d.USK and Virus were both amazing as well, we weren't sure that we'd catch them both due to the overlap but managed it nicely, perfect start to the festival.
I bought a couple of the prints too, the purple and green one second down, and the Black Hand one. Better get some wall space sorted!

--------------------

String em up

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 21, 2012 13:15     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A few EOLB pics to share. Sending a bunch untouched to H to do his thing with if they are useful.

End Of Level Boss was great. It's such a cool, fuzzy thing to have a really good friend doing so damn well in front of you, and to see how they glow and smile from being on a stage.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 22, 2012 00:31     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never knew about the gallery - Or prints for sale!

Crud.
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted April 22, 2012 02:25     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw EOLB and they were fuckin great! sounded like on record, thank you!

Nice photos too!

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 22, 2012 03:18     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Dimension Birdytross!

My favorite Voivod backdrop. Excuse the quality; I was surprised to discover I'd managed to take any pix at all last Friday (and it's the only one).

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted April 22, 2012 11:04     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
^^^^ i always thought this was the weirdest piece of Away art - simply in context with the others.

if those who bought prints don't mind me asking - how much was each print? i've gotten art prints from a few different artists and sometimes they can be very expensive. i'm just curious and hoping one day to get some from Away.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 22, 2012 11:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Square ones where €45,- rectangular ones €60,-

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 22, 2012 12:03     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This menacing beauty will soon take a place in our house:

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 22, 2012 12:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words y'all (and great pics vroom). It was great to see so many familiar faces from the stage. Everyone of us was utterly stoked to see Blacky nodding along in the crowd. I spoke to Dan later that night and he had cool things to say about the EOLB set, so we're double chuffed!! Playing on this bill was an absolute honour for us. Thanks for having us along. Without Voivod, EOLB would not exist.

The whole weekend was incredible. That's the 6th year in a row I've had the pleasure of being at Roadburn, and it outshone all the previous ones, and not just because we had the chance to play. Voivod were incredible. It was fascinating to see how Jack Luminous was pieced together. Ever so slightly different from the album, but such an incredible thing to witness.

Other highlights for me were Yob who blew my fragile tiny mind, The Obsessed - I had forgotten how complex some of their arrangements were, Manorexia who's set was moved just so I could watch them (at least I like to think so ), Anekdoten who were an awesome twisting chill out to my frazzled drunken state, Church of Misery who always put a smile on my face and Coroner who finished the weekend perfectly for me.

There was one band I missed that Igor kept on about, but I can't remember their name... Ssszzzlesszzeesion or something

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted April 22, 2012 15:08     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha.... Fuck , I was too drunk to pronounce their name, not to mention remembering to go and watch their set... Hahaha (Celestial Season- I dare you to say that being not a native speaker + having like a whole truck of guiness into your body) .... Well, it turns out my band will be playing with them at the dutch doom days festival in Oct. , so I have another chance to see them (and maybe also learn to say their name).

I still owe you guys my report... Just arrived home, jetlagged as fuck. All I can say is: I miss my gang of Voivodian brothers and sisters.

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 22, 2012 15:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, after reading all the reviews and seeing all the awesome photos I almost feel like I was there, except my ears aren't ringing, I don't have a hangover or stomach aches, and I'm not 20 pounds heavier from eating and drinking and having the time of my life.

Luna, I'm glad you got to experience KONG and they were as good as I figured they would be.

Thanks to all you lucky freaks for sharing.

--------------------

yawn

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 22, 2012 15:44     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
DBC: I bought some Away art, too! The Angel Rat spider pulling the carnival trailer is going to be a birthday surprise for a deeply arachnophobic Voivod-worshipping friend in the UK who once again failed to make it to Roadburn and then moaned about it

The same friend who failed to join last year?

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 23, 2012 02:02     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check out some great photos (especially of Blacky) taken by Maggie Harte during the Dimension Hatross show here

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 23, 2012 05:24     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:

Oh and I loved Virus very very much. Whoa. Never heard them before.

Luna, in that case you will probably adore Ved Buens Ende (Virus guy's previous band). Written in Waters is very VVF-friendly!
A preview for ya
here

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan