my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » English Dogs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: English Dogs
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 06, 2012 23:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems that the mighty English Dogs have just completed a North American tour! If only SOMEONE would have covered this before the tour ended, I would have been at the Seattle show for sure! Thanks for nuthin', Blabbermouth... at least they are covering everything Nikki Sixx has to say about Kirk Cameron, sigh...

Reunited ENGLISH DOGS In Denver: Interview, Performance Footage Available

They sound pretty good too! Forward Into Battle, To The Ends Of The Earth, Metalmorphosis, Where Legend Began... all classics!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 06, 2012 23:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW. I haven't listened to this band in years. The live clips linked on Blabbermouth are damn good. One of the great punk/metal bands from the day.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 07, 2012 14:41     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very cool, what was up with the German grandmother asking the questions?
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted March 08, 2012 01:47     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then there's the controversy about "Will the real English Dogs please stand up?"

metal

versus

punk

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 08, 2012 05:10     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
Then there's the controversy about "Will the real English Dogs please stand up?"

I like the early punk stuff plenty, but think this band really found their niche when they integrated a more metallic approach. As a crossover band, they were much more adventurious than most of their peers, taking on a much deeper metal sensibility, yet retaining a weird balance of punk at the same time. Pretty great stuff!

Dr. Know did kind of the same thing with Brandon Cruz, totally discarding the more thrash metal direction Kyle Toucher took the band, and it seems like regressive crap to me as well. My vote goes to the metal version of English Dogs, without a doubt.

This will sound funny, but for me punk has kind of gone the way of jazz. There is a deep well of music to draw from, but the movement as a whole has run it's course. Nothing new to hear, with a few notable exceptions here and there.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 08, 2012 07:44     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
holy shit, the Casualties are so awful. number one inspiration for the Masters of Punk Rock.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted March 09, 2012 21:27     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In Cleveland and had no damn idea.
I still listen to the LP rips XD sent me years ago. Thanks again, Mike!

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 09, 2012 22:12     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To this day I listen a lot to English Dogs and I agree with Mike: their Metal era is so much better.

BTW, I also have Mike's Where Legend Began LP rip. It sounds better than my own vinyl version!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 09, 2012 22:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll third that! Love that album...thanks to Mr. Mike...but again...what's up with the old German Grandmother asking the boys questions. Who is this woman? Just thought it was strange...
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted March 10, 2012 03:25     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This doesn't confirm nationality or family status, but look: your german metal grandma has a blog!

I was hoping to find a Voivod interview, pix or a review but no such luck. They need to play Denver.

No arguments here as to which English Dogs era / lineup appealed to me the most.

I had to laugh at Pinch's comment about this 2012 tour allowing them finally to achieve their original dream to "bring the punx & the thrash metalheads together -- no reason for 'em to be apart."

I beg to differ; for starters, that very segregation launched various West Side Story-like illicit crossover romances back in the day, it was fun

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 11, 2012 07:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never really checked these guys out. Mike - share this rip of yours again!
dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted March 11, 2012 10:15     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was reading through this thread and over and over again i kept seeing "german grandmother". i could only think one thing "that's birgit!"

she is infact from germany but has lived in the USA for quite some time. she knows alot of bands and helps them out. she's a really sweet woman, and totally true to metal. i didnt know that she interviewed them, because we just talk through fb and the kreator forum on a more personal level. anyhow - she's a good lady and its cool to see that she did this as well!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 14, 2012 08:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's great. I thought it was odd at first but really when you think about it when you consider that most of this music started 20-30 years ago and of course fans who started listening when they were in their teens & early 20's, I mean you do the math and.. ....Hell I'm gonna be 38 later this month...and I'm one of the kids around here.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 14, 2012 17:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Never really checked these guys out. Mike - share this rip of yours again!

You got it Harry! These are the same vinyl rips I posted many moons ago, but upgraded Mp3s encoded at VBR0 320kbps using EAC and LAME. Worth upgrading for anyone who got the 192kbps encodes from the "rare thrash rips" thread from all those years back.

Metalmorphosis EP (1985)

Where Legend Began (1986)

Awesome to me that you guys have gotten so much milage out of these old rips! It's almost embarrassing how low-tech my setup is. All credit for quality goes to my Bang & Olufsen RX-2 turntable. Audio is just normalized for levels, but that's all I generally do.

I've since picked up a CD copy of Where Legend Began, but haven't ever played it since the vinyl rip works out so good. Metalmorphosis has never been released on CD, as far as I know, so that one is still a bit of a rarity.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 14, 2012 22:28     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot Mike! Dowloading it (again) now!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 15, 2012 08:34     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup! Nice one Mike. Loading down...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 15, 2012 18:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Easter Bunny
Downloading these, since my vinyl got sold years ago.

--------------------

yawn

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted March 15, 2012 23:51     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't believe I missed them,... Totally know why, but still, I'm stoke I did as they have been a staple of my metal diet since 1984. Next time perhaps, and a big thanks to X-D for the rips back then, shipped to my door even, cheers !

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan