my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 2 new COC songs streaming (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: 2 new COC songs streaming
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 15, 2012 22:23     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I picked up all 3 LEADFOOT cds and they're pretty damn goo. They sound like the love child of COC fucking Skynyrd fucking Molly Hatchet and no one knows who the real father is... good stuff, thanks for letting me know about them.

SHIT, my pleasure! Don't bother with the band he was in before COC, vocal-wise he is lacking considerably. I think COC taught him how to really sing.

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2012 17:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the warning. I'll avoid the earlier stuff. Leadfoot has a cool vibe, and though they're a bit more straight forward than COC there's a few tunes that could have easily fit on Blind.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 16, 2012 23:18     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before COC, Karl was in School of Violence from NY. A tune from their LP: http://youtu.be/xc2y7wJlCSg and another http://youtu.be/8Tnz973zRjs

It was a little too crossover for me at the time, I like my metal to sound like metal and my hardcore to sound like hardcore. This was decidedly a lot of both, hardcore vocals with the metal edge, especially the double-kicks and guitar sound.

But this was later-Karl for me. I was from CT originally, and SEIZURE was a mainstay of CT punk / hardcore for a number of years prior to Karl moving to NY. They only did one single and a few comp tracks with Karl singing (but a lot of demos exist), but if you ever saw em live, they totally kicked ass. Here's one of the tracks from their 4-song 7" that Incas released in '86. http://youtu.be/7HTddsbcZL8 If you didn't like the vocals on S.O.Violence, you're *really* gonna hate this one!

And I totally grew up on COC That sounded like THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQOBu_rlZ8&feature=player_detailpage#t=78s

So, after hearing the above, you'll know why I wanted to SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FUCKING FACE WITH A BAZOOKA when I heard that 'Dance of the Dead' shit. Fucking limp. I thought Karl totally sold out (though he really wasn't, I know that now). I fucking HATED the Blind album, always have, still do. I hate groove.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 18, 2012 16:07     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To each their own. I think 'School of Violence' fucking sucks.

Have you ever tried broadening your horizens a little bit, Paullie? You keep slamming groove like you know something we don't LOL.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 18, 2012 16:40     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the links, BTW. Don't mean to be so ascerbic. You a good guy

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 18, 2012 17:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that the guy singing in School of Violence, or Seizure is the same guy that sings on COC "Blind"!!!! He sounds like every typical hardcore singer on the SoV and Seizure tracks. The songs aren't horrible, but definitely nothing totally original or unique. Thanks for the links. It's cool to hear karl before he found his voice, just like listening to Snake on the first couple of albums, it wasn't until Killing Technology that he started to find his voice also, and then on Dimension Hatross, he was really unique unto himself and it set him apart from all the other singers.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 18, 2012 22:06     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
To each their own. I think 'School of Violence' fucking sucks.

Have you ever tried broadening your horizens a little bit, Paullie? You keep slamming groove like you know something we don't LOL.

I don't slam groove at all. I just say I don't like it (a lot) - And that's what makes forums good things - People with *differing* opinions! How boring is a thread when everyone agrees? Thx for the nice words by the way. I'm just passing along my own experience of growing up w COC / Seizure / hardcore prior to crossover because I'm clearly closer to Voivod's age than the forum's average age. In general, I'm not a fan of when people throw in a one-liner and not back a claim up, so I try to give some anecdotal evidence for my own accounts. I fully expect that the majority of people in this particular forum will *NOT* like the Seizure stuff, and some might like S.O.V. ok. I can't just say I think something's limp and get away with it without reason, I need to back my statement up. So I put it in context - A little history, and some examples.

BTW, huge Sabbath / Pentagram fan here, I think some folks would accuse them of having a lot of "groove" but I don't see it that way at all - But again, that might be because I'm a 70's kid. To me, they were rock bands playing rock music. When COC became a rock band, I felt kinda betrayed. But that's my problem, not theirs.

First-world problems,
PAULIE

--------------------

-----------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 18, 2012 23:29     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good times ya'll!

Although my view is pretty much left-coast, I came into COC the same way as Paulie, back when they were total hardcore, circa Eye For An Eye, just a bit before Animosity was released. I totally remember a lot of people being surprised about Blind and COC's shift to this sound, though I was more bummed about Mike Dean leaving the band a few years earlier. As a longtime fan of these guys, Blind was an adjustment, but one that was easy for me to make. Already said it, but I feel the stuff that follows, Deliverance-Wiseblood, is some of their best work ever.

And hey, I have been able to lay my ears on the new album a bit today, and gotta say this band has come full circle! I think Dave and John will love it... Paulie, I dunno man, you might wanna give it a spin! Great to have Mike Dean on vox again and AWESOME to have Reed back in the fold! Woody, Mike, and Reed are undeniably the core of this band.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 19, 2012 00:54     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, without question I'll check out the new one when I have more than two nickels to rub together, and will totally catch the 3-piece lineup if they play my area. I did pick up the "Your Tomorrow" 7" but haven't taken to it just yet, didn't like Mike's vox right away - I did love his vox on everything prior though, especially Animosity and the Technocracy demo. Even some of the "singing" stuff like Ninefinger and SnakeNation sat well with me. This new one, not yet. Good aggressive tune though! Part 1: http://youtu.be/EH0P9TjKD2k

All the best,
PAULIE

PS Am I the only one that sees the irony in this?

--------------------

-----------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 19, 2012 23:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paulie 88, I'm a child of the 70's also... born in 65. I always appreciate when people back up their statements, especially with links so I can hear what they're talking about. As you can tell by all the freakin' music I purchase I'm a fan of a lot of different styles, but I guess I have a different idea of what GROOVE means to me, which is basically the feel of the song, and not a style of music. To me Sabbath definitely grooves, Voivod grooves, COC (all line ups) groove. I think some people think of groove in terms of funk (which does groove)and makes sense, but I just think of (and use the term a lot when talking about music) as the vibe I get from the music.

XD, I sure hope I really like the new COC since I forked out the $$$ for both domestic & import vinyl and the deluxe cd versions... that fuckin "collectors gene" costs me money every time a see something cool.

Paulie 88, are you referring to the irony of COC being promoted by the big box store BEST BUY instead of just being more underground? If so, I see your point, but I think it's great that the band has built up enough of a reputation that a big box store would do that. It's not like they compromised anything , and the more people that get to hear their music the better, as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 20, 2012 04:05     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:

PS Am I the only one that sees the irony in this?

Given the context, this is pretty fucking funny!

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 20, 2012 11:15     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Paulie 88, are you referring to the irony of COC being promoted by the big box store BEST BUY instead of just being more underground? If so, I see your point, but I think it's great that the band has built up enough of a reputation that a big box store would do that. It's not like they compromised anything , and the more people that get to hear their music the better, as far as I'm concerned.[/QB]

Yes to the "Corrosion of Conformity - Pre-order at Best Buy now!" but not necessarily saying it should be "underground" cause a band should have the ability to survive of course - It's just the irony of it. I agree, I do think this band has done what *they* wanted to do and have not particularly compromised (while I haven't liked the direction they went in, and they likely enjoyed the commercial success of that direction, I do not think it was a carrot-chasing venture) - That being said, if they tried to put out something that sounded like Animosity again, they'd likely be asked to go back to the drawing table.

Grizzled,
PAULIE

--------------------

-----------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 20, 2012 19:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with what you're saying; however,what would be the point in releasing an album that sounded like Animosity or Technocracy? They've been there, done that, and I think back then they realized that they would be very limited in terms of musical creativity if they stuck with that style and it wouldn't leave them any room to grow as musicians. I'm sure they lost a lot of fans when they released Blind, and maybe even more when the released Deliverance; but, they obviously also gain a lot of listener and got to be more creative. This new album does sound like a throw back to the earlier days moreso than anything else they have done... obviously because of who's now in the band, and maybe more importantly who's NOT in the band.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 20, 2012 21:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check this band out COC fans:

APE!

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 20, 2012 22:47     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I agree with what you're saying; however,what would be the point in releasing an album that sounded like Animosity or Technocracy? They've been there, done that, and I think back then they realized that they would be very limited in terms of musical creativity if they stuck with that style and it wouldn't leave them any room to grow as musicians.

First off, I don't think an album has to have a "point" per se. Case in point, sounding like earlier stuff doesn't seem to bother fans of the Ramones or Motorhead - No one says "been there done that" to them, right? lol As for COC, they had a huge gap before they ended up doing a full-length after Techncracy once Simon Bob left - The next step was Blind, and it was indeed a quantum leap in sound. I think a lot of the rough edge really left with Mike though. And they DID do a quasi-COC (Mike and Woody +1) project as SnakeNation, but that was considerably more stonerish. And yes, it did have some of that "groove" to it too, ha! Growth can and often *is* a good thing, I don't argue that for a minute. They lost a lot of the AGGRESSION to me, which is what drew me to them in the first place. When they lost that, they lost me. But again, that's my problem, not theirs.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

-----------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 21, 2012 07:12     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paulie you put into words exactly what I was trying to say. Well done! It is possible for a band to 'grow' without losing their core sound... instead they chose to make a dramatic shift and turn into a stoner rock band. But of course I attribute that move to Pepper's involvement. Still it could have been worse...they could have Cold Laked it with Blind (I never thought Blind was terrible..it was the albums after that which I hated).

Ahhh...forget it. I'm gonna go listen to APE!(see above post) and wait for the new Pepperless(Thank God!) COC to come out.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 21, 2012 19:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What can't be argued is that they've been on the forefront of two distinctly different and prominent musical styles. That's not an easy feat.

You guys make me wanna listen to Wiseblood.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 21, 2012 21:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This has been a fun topic, thanks paulie 88 for disagreeing with what I think and keeping this going.

What's cool when shit like this happens it makes me listen to music we're discussing from a different point of view to try and hear something I missed before I read someone's opinion.

oh yeah... fuck you Mez for not liking Pepper... ha ha ha ha ha ha

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 26, 2012 03:56     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Paullie, I find your info very worth-while and would like to thank you. I agree, forums are for discussion and differing opinions, that's what makes for interesting stuff. No harm no foul!

Nothingface, you nailed it when you said Corrosion has been recognized in 2 distinct areas of music, a rare feat indeed.

Still waiting for this new one in the mail...

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 26, 2012 17:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am fuckin' loving the new cd!!!! Now I don't feel totally stupid for ordering both vinyl versions and the digipak cd version. HEAVY AS FUCK!!!

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 26, 2012 23:41     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kick ass

--------------------

-----------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted August 21, 2012 21:04     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A follow-up - SEIZURE did a reunion show this past Saturday night which I was lucky enough to attend, along with reunion sets from Skeletal Ambitions, CIA, Lost Generation and Zombie Squad as well as 76% Uncertain who still gigs now and again... Classic CT night! Karl sang instead of growled, but I still liked it anyway. He was also very nice, and appeared to be appreciative of the full house. Is there a way for me to upload a pic to this site without having it posted online somewhere else first?

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

-----------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 22, 2012 21:19     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That sounds rad, man! I don't know any other way to post pics, sorry.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan