my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 2 new COC songs streaming (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: 2 new COC songs streaming
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 23, 2012 18:10     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know there are other specific forums to post something like this but I think it belongs right here

http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/various-artists

The new album is set to be released Feb 28 through Candlelight records. Ima gonna order the deluxe edition simply cuz it comes with 2 extra songs.

Sounds weird without Pepper in the fold, but I think having Reed Mullin back in the mix kinda makes up for it all. Here's one more link to a cool interview done the other day.

http://theressomethinghardinthere.blogspot.com/2012/01/corrosion-of-conformit y-old-school-or.html

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2012 19:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I miss Pepper not being in the band (he brings the groove), but these sound pretty damn good. I purchased the 7 inch vinyl they released last year so of course I'll need to own this one also.

FUCK IT!!! Just went to the link for Candle Light records and preordered the deluxe cd digipak, the European double vinyl & the US vinyl with 7 inch. Why the fuck not, right? IT'S COC!!!

thanks for the links...

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 23, 2012 20:16     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, why is Pepper not in the band now? I need to stop by that dude's house...
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 23, 2012 21:53     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I miss Pepper not being in the band (he brings the groove), but these sound pretty damn good. I purchased the 7 inch vinyl they released last year so of course I'll need to own this one also.

FUCK IT!!! Just went to the link for Candle Light records and preordered the deluxe cd digipak, the European double vinyl & the US vinyl with 7 inch. Why the fuck not, right? IT'S COC!!!

thanks for the links...

HAHA, I knew you would jump all over this

I haven't ordered anything yet, but I just stumbled upon this website sanctioned by the band itself, with bundles including a shirt and autographed poster! You might wanna cancel part of your order if possible

http://www.indiemerchstore.com/b/coc/

I'm going for the one with everything, more bang for the buck!

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 23, 2012 22:00     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
So, why is Pepper not in the band now? I need to stop by that dude's house...

Something about having gigs with Down, and being in Down, and both bands can't tour at the same time unless they were together...WHICH would be fucking badass!!! Doesn't he have a bar in the Quarter? Go ask him what the deal is!

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 24, 2012 00:03     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He has a bar uptown called "Les Bons Temps" (if he still has it). I think he may be involved in another here. It's hard to keep up. He doesn't live far from me and I see him from time to time. He got up with Soundgarden and played "Gun" on guitar at VoodooFest here a few months ago.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 24, 2012 13:55     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well now he's Mr. Moneybags via Down, which is cool I suppose, gotta make a living somehow...And owning your own bar(s) at least you don't have to pay anybody else for outrageous drink prices LOL. I'd set up a bar in every corner of my town just in case I was in that area

I didn't know he knew the Soundgarden guys, but it makes sense I guess.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 24, 2012 23:20     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say I love these two new songs...and I've never been a big COC fan. Especially of their later albums which I strongly hated. But there's something about this new sound which I really got into....I will be buying this!
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 25, 2012 03:38     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's OK if you hate Pepper, just say it LOL

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted January 25, 2012 12:24     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I grew up on first- and second-album COC. To me, it sounds weird WITH Pepper.

I was jacked to hear the Animosity lineup was doing a new record, but having heard some of it, it's still too much like newer-era COC for my tastes, I like the harsh fast thrash over the southern rock-influenced stuff any day. Comparatively, Mike's crooning now vs Animosity!

I'll totally go see this lineup if they come anywhere close, but I'm not so sure I'll be buying this album...

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 25, 2012 19:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They have some tempting bundle at indie merch but since I already have 2 of the classic COC shirts I'll stick with what I already ordered, even though the new design T is cool and the signed poster would be a cool addition to my wall.

Pepper's house band for his bar was chosen to open Metallica's 30th anniversary shows. Pepper talks about during the show he played with Metallica. He mentioned they had asked off for a few days and when he went to participate in the 30th Anniversary show he found out why they needed off... because Metallica wanted them to open the shows... funny.

I honestly don't think COC would have lasted very long if they kept doing the same thing they did on the first 2 albums. Same reason Suicidal Tendencies became more metal after the first groundbreaking album. There's just a lot more room for a band to grow and evolve if they're not confined to trying to a hardcore punk band and doing short fast songs all the time. It would have become regurgitated versions of everything they'd already done.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 25, 2012 20:27     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suppose being "Southern" can be the only explanation for why I only like the Pepper-era records. "Vote..." is the only song I listen to on Blind. The grooves on "Deliverance" and "Wiseblood" are just TOO good to dismiss.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 26, 2012 19:19     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I suppose being "Southern" can be the only explanation for why I only like the Pepper-era records. "Vote..." is the only song I listen to on Blind. The grooves on "Deliverance" and "Wiseblood" are just TOO good to dismiss.

What's my excuse then? The Pepper era COC is just GROOVE-A-LICIOUS!!!! Wiseblood, Deliverance, America's Volume Dealer are all heavy rotation discs in my collection. The brought the thin Lizzy twin guitars vibe to the band during those and it's just fuckin' bad ass.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 26, 2012 22:23     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny to hear you guys saying that. The Animosity era of COC was a thing of legend back in the thrash days... at least in my neck of the woods. For me, Animosity ranks up there with Hell Awaits, Killing Is My Business, and Bonded By Blood in terms of favorite releases from 1985... a total classic! Dave might have a point though... had they not shifted styles, they might have gone the way of crossover peers DRI, still good, but much less relevant in later years.

I was shocked when I heard Blind, but then again, it didn't take me long to totally dive into that, and the subsequent Pepper era of the band either. Deliverance and Wiseblood are about as good as it gets.

Really liking what I am hearing on these two new tracks and happy to be once again anticipating the release of a new COC album!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 26, 2012 23:09     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved the early stuff when it came out too. Animosity destroyed everything back then. I always thought of it as the ultimate crossover album. When Blind came out I was floored then too, coz at that time I was really heavy into early Sabbath and finding a groove in my own playing, so it really hit the spot. I fucking love this band. I had kind of dismissed Down since I wasn't much into Pantera, but when I saw them open for Voivod...hooked again by the grooves and sludge. LOL Maybe I lived in New Orleans in a previous life.
Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted January 26, 2012 23:45     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate groove.

I hate groove,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 27, 2012 02:22     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I missed the COC boat BIGTIME, like the first album I ever heard was 'America's Volume Dealer' and that was in '02 haha. I didn't even really like it at first and being so naive I figured that was what all their stuff sounded like! But being the open-minded individual that I think I am, I gave it more listens and did research and realized this band has been an ever-changing and evolving creature. Of course the next things I got ahold of were the 90's southern stuff, since they are so much more readily available, liked it, then seeked out the earlier HC/crossover stuff and liked it equally as much. I've probably listened to the last album the most tho, maybe it has something to do with Pepper giving it to us after their show opening for Motorhead, I dunno

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2012 19:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I need to spin those first 2 albums, if for nothing else for nostalgia reasons, but also to listen to it them with a more open mind. For that matter, I haven't spun BLIND in a while, so I'll add that to the list also.

COC did always try to evolve or maybe "change things up" is a better term for what they've done for about every other record or so.

--------------------

yawn

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 28, 2012 13:59     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The new tracks sound very good to me, thanks for the link! This goes on my to-buy list instantly.

I think need to check out Animosity again -- I listened to it once around the time Blind came out and didn't like it at all for one reason or another. I'm now about 20 years older, got to find out if I'll "see" the music from a different perspective now

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 28, 2012 17:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Had BLIND cranked up in the car today... it's teRIFFic. The vocals are cool... I wonder what happened to that dude... need to do some investigating.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 28, 2012 23:55     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
got to find out if I'll "see" the music from a different perspective now

SEE the music, BE the music!

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 28, 2012 23:59     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
...hooked again by the grooves and sludge. LOL Maybe I lived in New Orleans in a previous life.

Haha, may be...I dunno but a lot of the metal bands that come from there seem very intense and passionate. Not many pop bands or top 40 rock, thank god!

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 29, 2012 00:01     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Had BLIND cranked up in the car today... it's teRIFFic. The vocals are cool... I wonder what happened to that dude... need to do some investigating.

Well he and the bass player Phil Swisher created a band called "Leadfoot", I think they are still around to this day. Never heard them tho...And I looked up a band he was in before COC called "School of Violence", found their only album '...We the People?' and it's basically seminal thrash from NYC. Totally different singing style, or lack of singing haha.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 30, 2012 13:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info on the singer.
Just went to Amazon and listened to some LEADFOOT samples. Sounds similar to COC's BLIND with that sludgy groove. Put all 3 on my wish list for future purchases. School of Violence was only available there on vinyl for $25... I'll need to hear it before forking out the money for that.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 14, 2012 08:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked up all 3 LEADFOOT cds and they're pretty damn goo. They sound like the love child of COC fucking Skynyrd fucking Molly Hatchet and no one knows who the real father is... good stuff, thanks for letting me know about them.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan