my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Paul Stanley 60 years old today

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul Stanley 60 years old today
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 20, 2012 09:41     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unbelievable... I only wish i can act the way Stanley does when I am 60 years old....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 20, 2012 19:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you would have spent the first 1/2 of your life with a big star on you face, touring the world, hanging with hot chicks, and being drug free, you probably could.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 20, 2012 20:14     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been a fan for half of his life and 75% of mine. Wow, time flies.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 21, 2012 09:46     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I've been a fan for half of his life and 75% of mine. Wow, time flies.

Yeah, i remember buying Destroyer at THE age of 10.. This album was just out....
remember singing along with my mother on the tunes of Great expectations... Haha.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2012 20:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember getting into KISS in the 6th grade, buying the first 4 albums, then buying "The Originals" (wish i still had that one), and actually believing Ace was from another planet and could hover above the ground like it said on his card in "The Originals". I guess KISS was the first band I collected and started off this disease I have. I had every vinyl release all the way up to The Elder when i started giving up on them and listening to heavier stuff and thinking KISS was a bit childish for me by then. I can listen to all that early stuff I grew up and enjoy it again (like I've done recently... sparked by reading Ace's autobiography).

I remember my mom being kinda freaked out by KISS and asked me why they were singing "Creature feature in the ladies room" ha ha ha

BTW: I've always thought THE ELDER was a great album.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 22, 2012 23:50     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got into KISS in 6th grade too. I stuck with them through the non-makeup years. There's a few good songs from those records.

Ace's book is really good.

I managed to hang onto all my vinyl (1st and 2nd pressings of The Originals in there Schroeder).

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2012 19:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nothingfae, you're a smarter person than I was. of course my wife was between jobs at the time and we needed $$$ to cover bills, so my vinyl collection got raped and sold out to a lot of lucky mutha fuckers who got amazing deals on killer stuff. The main thing I regret selling is my original Iron Maiden "Soundhouse Tapes" 7 inch vinyl. I got $250 for it back then, but it's just the one rare piece i wish I still had in my collection. My girlfriend tried to surprise me with buying one off of an Ebay auction a few years ago but it was a bootleg copy and even though it was still rare I made her convince the seller to take it back, because it wasn't the original and it was too much $$$ for her to spend on something like that... but how could I not love her to death for attempting something like that. She rocks.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted January 25, 2012 00:28     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for the off-topic tangent, but I've got to exorcize a MAJOR vinyl regret as mentioned above - Less than 10 years ago, I found a copy of the Soundhouse Tapes 45 for $10 and I passed on it, I thought it was a fake. It wasn't. And it was fucking perfect. FUCK. It eats me up inside and, literally, keeps me awake now and then.

Grew up on KISS, wanted to be Ace very badly. Stuck with them up until Vinnie was booted out. With the exception of Asylum which isn't horrible, I don't know any of their non-Ace / non-Vinnie albums at all.

Stanley's voice fucking soars. While I hate what he and Chaim did to KISS, there's just no denying the pipes. Happy birthday, legacy-killing shitbag!

Sold my beautiful, pristine copy of The Originals for a couple Slayer vinyl boots around '87 some time. Those are now long-gone too, I traded them for some Pink Floyd / Syd Barrett boots that I turned over for a small fortune a few years back. Kiss to Slayer to Floyd to cash, I still have my memories.

Oh sweet, tasty vinyl, how I love thee!

KISS is now a very authentic KISS tribute band. Saw Ace this past Halloween, my third time since '07, he always fucking rules.

Vinyl retentive,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 25, 2012 03:43     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice story Paulie (well, nice read, albeit!)

I would like to speak on behalf of my brother on this one, the real Kiss freak between us...

Circa '82 he's merely 6 yrs old but spawned by my uncle's Kiss posters and memorabilia lying around the room when we would go visit he wouldn't stop talking about them, so our parents bought a bunch of albums and we'd jam all day until 7, when we had to "go to sleep". Anyways, he has a bunch of their 2nd or 3rd edition vinyl releases and I can at least thank him for turning me on to 'Alive'.

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 25, 2012 04:19     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Always thought it odd how Kiss seemed to be such a US phenomenon. Maybe I'm just a touch too young (for once)! First time I heard them, it was Crazy Crazy Nights era. I thought they sucked. A few years later I saw them live with the make up back on doing Deuce and Strutter and the full stage show and I loved it. I remember Anthrax doing a cover of Love Her All I can and thinking: that's a Kiss song? Fuck! It's awesome. Made me take another look. Still not a huge fan, but I'll leap around to Double Platinum after a few drinks. Happy Beer Day Paul!
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 25, 2012 14:50     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha, nice stories...

I used to have several kind of special KISS albums like a misprint of Double Platinum, albums with signatures on them gotten directly from KISS when they visited Holland to record I Love it Loud. back in '83. Off course I was there. I also had a big, big part of Paul Stanleys guitar that he smashed in Brussels, also in '83.

I developped a bad habit... Gambling.
So it didn't take me long to sell all the goodies and throw it all away.....

Not that I am very sorry, Don't look back too much

But sometimes I see on Ebay the stuff that I used to have. The memories will stay I hope.
If there ad been a possibility to sell those I probably would have done so...

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 25, 2012 19:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paulie 88 wrote: Happy birthday, legacy-killing shitbag!

LMFAO!!!!
This thread has been great. Cool stories of memories and losing shit we wish we still had.

Paulie 88, I can definitely understand why you'd be upset about passing up the opportunity to get an original Soundhouse Tapes at that kind of a price.
Here's a good way to tell the original from the bootleg version for those illegal copies they really try to make look real. The original had folded tabs that you could see on the back side of the cover, the copies that I've had & seen you can't see the tabs because they are inside the sleeve instead of on the outside.

--------------------

yawn

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted February 15, 2012 10:02     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imboXktqiY&feature=related

The first vinyl ever bought by your truly and I still have the thing. Lost the original insert though, I was 9. It was a summer day in Teaneck NJ and I walked into the record store on Cedar Lane. Listened to it every day.

Love KISS and agree with all that has been said. Still spend some quality time with the KISSOLOGY vol 1 from time to time and relive the classic lineup at their peak. That was the best thing they ever released.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 15, 2012 18:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
...but I'll leap around to Double Platinum after a few drinks.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 16, 2012 10:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's crazy to me is that Doug Pinnick of King's X is actually 61!! Weird cause they seem like such a young(er) band.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2012 17:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
What's crazy to me is that Doug Pinnick of King's X is actually 61!! Weird cause they seem like such a young(er) band.

I was floored when I heard that also... but DUG still grooves like a bad mo-fo.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan