my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » favorite albums of 2011? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: favorite albums of 2011?
HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted October 24, 2011 14:22     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im not quite sure what mine are yet, but i want to hear yours! go!!
 |  IP: Logged
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 24, 2011 14:58     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD "Warriors of Ice"

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 24, 2011 15:11     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Warriors Of Ice was a nice treat during this otherwise kind of slow year. Just the prospect of more new Voivod music in the pipeline has me happy.

I've also been enjoying 2011 albums from Opeth, YOB, and Ghost. New Primus is cool too.

While 2010 was a big year for good music, it seems like I've spent most of 2011 mopping up on older releases and reissues. Those from King Crimson and Clutch (hello! Basket Of Eggs!) come to mind first and are certainly some of most worthy I've seen. Also reissues from Flower Travellin' Band and Far East Famility Band gave me boners in the Japanese Prog dept.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 24, 2011 16:21     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
opeth

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 24, 2011 19:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SO much good music has come out in the last couple months... just look at all the cds I've been buying lately.

Usually my choices are for new studio releases since live albums & reissues are from past releases although those Clutch & KC reissues and remasters are the fuckin' bomb!!!

Steven Wilson "Grace for Drowning" ( i finally had a good listen to the vinyl today and it's damn good)

The new Jane's Addiction, got it's first spin in my car and I think it'll stay there for a while... good stuff!!!

Just ordered the new Puscifier, and latest Symphony X which seem like they'll be up my alley. Also "Elves... before there was Elf" (or something like that) comes out soon and has a bunch of early recording from Ronnie James Dio that I'm SO looking forward to hearing. Also new Megadeth "13" is coming.

Yes - Fly From Here
Saxon - Call to Arms
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Thrice - Major Minor
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You
Anthrax - Worship Music (could be my #1 metal release for 2011 depending on what the new Megadeth sounds like)
Mastodon - The Hunter (fuckin' killer)
Opeth - Heritage (yes, I do enjoy this one)

I couldn't include the new ones by Primus (just hasn't grabbed me after a few spins), Dream Theater (although it's their best in a long time) or Machine Head in my top list... there's just something that meet my expectations with these; although, they don't suck.

there's probably a few I'm overlooking

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 24, 2011 19:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention the remasters and repackaging of all the RUSH Mercury releases in 3 separate box sets which will include a dvd in 5.1 of 1 album from each box set.

I'm hoping this means they're going to end up remixing the entire catalog in surround sound eventually.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 25, 2011 23:54     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Didn't buy a lot of albums this year, so from the few I got I would like to mention Voïvod, of course, plus Anthrax, Mastodon and Machine Head.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 02, 2011 21:55     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
won't have a definite list until january, but here's a rough draft for my top 20 records (so far):

Voivod - Warriors of Ice
Broken Water - Peripheral Star
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Bloodlust
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
Amateur Party - Truncheons in the Manor
Kevn Kinney/Golden Palominos - A Good Country Mile
Thou - The Archer & The Owle
Witches - Forever
End of Level Boss - Eklectric
Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
Lucinda Williams - Blessed
YOB - Atma
Blacktusk - Set the Dial
The Kills - Blood Pressures
Atari Teenage Riot - Is this Hyperreal?
Low - C'mon
Amebix - Sonic Mass
Mastodon - The Hunter
Out on a Limb - Drowned

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 03, 2011 15:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Impiety - Worshippers of the seventh tyranny
Disma - Towards the megalith
Inquisition - Ominous doctrines
Sonne Adam - Transformation
Absu - Abzu
Cannabis Corpse - Beneath grow lights thou shalt rise
Autopsy - Macabre eternal

--------------------

String em up

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 18, 2011 02:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doctor Midnight & The Mercy Cult - I Declare: Treason
Voivod - To the Death
Chris Connelly - Artificial Madness
Skold - Anomie
Anthrax - Worship Music
Mastodon - The Hunter
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Pentagram - Last Rites
ohGr - Undeveloped
Yob - Atma
KMFDM - WTF?!

Biggest disappointment: Morbid Angel!

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted December 18, 2011 03:27     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not so much for me this year...

Mastodon - The Hunter (absolute winner)
Voivod - Warriors of Ice
Voivod - To The Death
Vektor - Outer Isolation
EOLB - Eklectric
Megadeth - Th1rt3en

Very disappointed by Opeth's release, they should have give it a project name or something instead of Opeth...

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 18, 2011 07:58     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Argh yeah can't wait to get my hands on the new Vektor.

--------------------

String em up

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 18, 2011 09:18     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So far:

The Devil's Blood The Thousandfold Epicentre
Hell Human Remains
Wolves In The Throne Room Celestial Lineage
Amebix Sonic Mass
Burzum Fallen
Steven Wilson Grace For Drowning
Opeth Heritage
Megadeth Th1rt3en
Ulver Wars Of The Roses
Autopsy Macabre Eternal
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead Tao Of The Dead

and stuff I might have forgotten, or didn't hear yet (the Voivod live albums)...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 18, 2011 15:36     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
and stuff I might have forgotten, or didn't hear yet (the Voivod live albums)...

Looks like somebody needs a couple of holiday gifts!!

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 18, 2011 15:55     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And might I add disc 2 of the 25th anniv remaster of Megadeth's 'Peace Sells...', live recording from 1987

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 18, 2011 17:53     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I already ordered my vinyl copy of 'To The Death', still waiting for this beauty to arrive.

One thing I forgot in my list is Tom Waits' latest masterpiece 'Bas As Me'.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 21, 2011 11:24     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really loved Mastodon's "The Hunter", Opeth's "Heritage", Anthrax' "Worship Music" (great comeback!), Yes' "Fly Fromn Here" (another suprisingly good comeback!), discovered Solstafir, Cormorant, Giant Squid, Animals As Leaders, and of course listened alot to "Warriors of Ice"!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2011 17:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maldororz, Since I totally agree with your choices, I think I need to discover those 4 other bands to at least hear what I'm missing. thanks.

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 21, 2011 18:56     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ugh...'Fly From Here'. As a Yes fan I wanted to like this one badly. But somehow it just doesn't do anything to me. The band plays well and the new singer is good but somehow something is missing. It's too tame. No real Yes magic. Guess it's just me not hearing it.

'The Hunter' might be candidate for my list as well.

Now if I could only get my hands on 'Warriors Of Ice' soon...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 21, 2011 22:49     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Absolutely throwing To The Death in as one of my favorites of 2011, er... sure. Regardless of the 1984 recording date, this one rules!

Also finding a lot to enjoy in the Cathedral Anniversary double-live release. Live albums can be a hit or miss affair, but this one seems to have a lot of heart. Sweet performances, great selection of tunes (incl the enture Forest Of Equilibrium album), good production, very nice packaging. Was substantially more than I had expected from it and worth a listen if you are a fan.

--------------------

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted December 22, 2011 04:50     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maligno - The Funeral Domine

I recomend this one very much to all of you

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 22, 2011 05:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very disappointed by Opeth's release, they should have give it a project name or something instead of Opeth...[/QB][/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I initially thought I liked it but after repeated listens found it pretty dull. There are one or two that make it but besides that...ugh.

Only three albums that I thought were really worth it this year...most of which have already been mentioned here:

EOLB....man, this one really surprised me. I thought it would be good but not this good. You really went somewhere on this one and I was glad to be along for the ride.

MASTODON..yeah, not as focused as the previous effort but it has some great songs on it...

FLEET FOXES...I can't say enough great things about their new one. Has to be top collection of songs I've heard in the last five years out of any genre.

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted December 22, 2011 06:12     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(Let's see if I finally got the hang of hyperlinking...)

I posted mine over at Roadburn

Scroll down til you reach...you guessed it...Warriors of Ice

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted December 22, 2011 06:14     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a Festivus miracle!

(that is, I think the link works...)

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 22, 2011 12:00     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mächina:
Maligno - The Funeral Domine

I recomend this one very much to all of you

I completely agree! This is a fine album! Totally rocks!

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan