my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Kurt Cobain blows David Grohl away!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kurt Cobain blows David Grohl away!
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 07, 2011 21:37     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...end transmission
 |  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 07, 2011 22:06     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aw.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 08, 2011 11:08     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kurt blew his head off and is dead now. Dave blew us all away WITH Away amongst others a few years ago. End of story. You decide who wins.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 08, 2011 13:57     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As much as I appreciate both, I'm gonna have to give the longevity, breadth of creativity, and songwriting mantle to David Grohl. Kurt was certainly an icon and the catalyst for an entire movement, but I seriously doubt he'd have kept pace with Dave if he were still alive.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 08, 2011 19:00     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
who cares if he wins... that shit broke my heart when I read it. But now we have dave up there assuming the role but being all poser... and folks biting hard.

not me!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 08, 2011 19:13     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grohl the way I see it is a "one hit wonder" type, here and there has been a catchy tune but nothing he has released (be it a jingle or two) will ever make it into the annals of history. Kurt had only a few albums but every single song hits hard. When Kurt did it he didn't have to buy jingles, the shit was real.

trying to elevate him above Kurt's status and musicianship is when things start to get a little funny for me.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 08, 2011 21:52     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave is sort of a "one hit wonder". Everything he puts out has a hit on it. I've never been one to compare the two. That was your doing for the purposes of this thread.

In some ways, he'll always be in Kurt's shadow, but it's quite an unfair perspective.

This Is A Call, Monkey Wrench, Everlong, Learn To Fly, All My Life, Times Like These, No Way Back, Rope? And those are merely the inarguable hits. We haven't touched the Probot stuff, the QOTSA stuff, Them Crooked Vultures, or any of the other of dozens of projects he's been part of since the end of Nirvana.

Once again, I'm not dismissing Kurt's importance in the direction of music in the '90s, but Dave is no one-hit wonder.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 08, 2011 22:13     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kind of hard to pick at a guy like Grohl. I mean, he's a great drummer... and despite the tragic end of Nirvana, has rebuilt his carreer in a very respecable way. The Foo Fighters are a very different kind of band than Nirvana. Kind of hard to compare the two...

I do love how much Dave uses his high profile status to name drop bands like Voivod and create someting like Probot, which certainly brought some attention to all the great singers/bands involved on that record. And where else in the world will you hear King Diamond singing over a Kim Thayl solo? C'mon, what's not to love?

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 09, 2011 01:02     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, i do not see your point.
Curt was great, too bad he couldn't handle his succes. I have much much respect for what he has done.

Grohl on the other hand is great too. He is very diverse. Worked with loads of people. The probot album I realy like to listen to.

I see no meaning in comparing the two of them.

Uhhhhh, kind of what X-D is saying also.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 09, 2011 08:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I definitely listen to a lot more stuff Grohl has done since Kurt's exit from this world than I listen to Nirvana; however, I do know what a huge impact Cobain had (and still has) on music. Just 2 totally different kinds of guys writting music. Grohl obviously learn a lot from Kurt... how to do things, and how NOT to handle things.

I still consider Grohl the coolest guy in music. he just seems to be some regular guy having the time of his life. Not too many people could get Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones on the same stage to play with them!!! Grohl is just living so many people's dream... lucky bastard.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 09, 2011 10:29     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder, did you see Foo Fighters play "In The Flesh" with Roger Waters on Jimmy Fallon's show last week?
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 09, 2011 11:11     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am kind of judgmental... I just never have been interested in accolades but more so the actual music.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 09, 2011 23:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I need to go to YouTube and find that Waters/Foo Fighters video!!! I didn't see it, thanks for letting me know.

the FOO Fighters are just fun Hatross, I can understand if you just don't like their style since it's certainly not as deep (for lack of a better word) as what Cobain penned, although both bands owe a lot to pop music. Catchy lyrics, short tunes, kinda punky quirky. Maybe you don't like Grohl because he's always smiling and never too serious.

--------------------

yawn

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted October 10, 2011 01:54     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Maybe you don't like Grohl because he's always smiling and never too serious.

That's exactly what I like about him.

Couple of years ago they played in Amsterdam and a radio station had a FF contest. The winner could wish any song in the world them to play live. She choose a typical Dutch child song from kindergarden books. When Dave Grohl announced the song he ask the girl on stage to perform with them that song

Don't see another band doing something like that quickly like they did

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted October 10, 2011 08:47     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cobain's whole "I hate myself & I want to die" shtick got old fast. I mean, much of what attracted me to heavy music (metal/hardcore) in the first place was the "I hate YOU and want YOU to die" vibe.

When it comes to expressing pain, suffering and the human condition in a more nuanced way, I guess I prefer the likes of Patsy Cline or Etta James; those good old fashioned country or blues women and men really speak to my soul unlike these Gen X-ers. They just sound like whiners LOL

As for Grohl, none of his musical projects are interesting to me, but that's merely a matter of taste. His non-stop gurning and "wait, wait, let me tell you more about ME!" during the "Lemmy" doc was mighty tiresome, though.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 10, 2011 18:23     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hear you guys, and I am not so down on Grohl as ya might think. I was comparing the guitar style or musical style only I suppose... I pick a little myself over the years.

thank gawd I am a post gen-X'er, I am a product of the Thrash generation \m/

he's cool just a little too commercial...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 10, 2011 18:34     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
come to think of it... Thrashers do not kill themselves or cut themselves or kill others, what they do is pull people's skin off and parade it around.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 11, 2011 17:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatröss:
come to think of it... Thrashers do not kill themselves or cut themselves or kill others, what they do is pull people's skin off and parade it around.

Thrashers leave the suicides to the grungers and the killing to the Swedish death metalers. When thrahers die, it's not because they want to.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 11, 2011 17:47     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Thrashers leave the suicides to the grungers and the killing to the Swedish death metalers.

Dave... uh, nevermind.

You crazy Swedes!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan