my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » HM, March 1979

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HM, March 1979
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 07, 2011 14:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While out picking up a ninja suite yesterday, I ended up in a comic book store (next door) which had this copy of Heavy Metal Magazine on the shelf from March of 1979.

Knowing that Away was an avid fan of HM back in his formative years, I couldn't help but notice the spiritual connection between the cover art of this particular issue and the glorious artwork that so perfectly represents the sound of RrröööaaarrR. Though both pieces are stylistically different, it does make me wonder if Away had this in mind at all when creating the cover for RrröööaaarrR.

Needless to say, I bought this on the spot... only $5.99 anyway.

You can find a higher resolution version of the cover HERE. Also worth checking the gallery out for other great scans.

While thumbing though this, and another issue I bought as well (Nov. 1979), I could definitely see hints of things that one might consider, proto-Morgoth... for lack of a better term, haha. Beautiful stuff. Used to by these a lot back in 83-84 until my parents asked me to refrain from bringing these home after opening one of the issues to find some dude with multiple penises railing a couple of alien ladies.

... by the way, the ninja suite was not for me to wear. I am not that nerdy.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 07, 2011 15:42     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool find X-D!!! In his book Away clearly identify the Heavy Metal magazine as one of his inspirations!

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 07, 2011 19:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you can definitely see how it would influence him. HM was legendary. Great find X-D.

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 07, 2011 21:27     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
excellent!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 10, 2011 19:51     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i always thought he was feeling the influence of the great white north:

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan