my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » this just in: VOIVOD In Pre-Production For New Album

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: this just in: VOIVOD In Pre-Production For New Album
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 29, 2011 17:55     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD In Pre-Production For New Album; Photos Available - Sep. 29, 2011

Canadian metal innovators VOIVOD are continuing to write and demo new material for their upcoming album, tentatively due in early 2012. The follow-up to 2009's "Infini" will contain the band's first music to be written with new guitarist Daniel "Chewy" Mongrain (MARTYR) following the passing of original axeman Denis "Piggy" D'Amour in 2005.

According to a posting on the VOIVOD Facebook page, "the guys are recording a couple of news songs at their rehearsal spot. Expect something in the vein of 'Nothingface' with some elements from the other albums. It will be a classic VOIVOD album."

Regarding what the new VOIVOD songs sound like, Mongrain said in a recent interview, "As a VOIVOD fan since I am 12 years old and early rise of VOIVOD in late '80s and everything, I think… I'm in conflict of interest right now. [Laughs] I like the old stuff as much as the new stuff, so I think it's a blend of everything. It's really a team work and Blacky [Jean-Yves Thériault] is back on the 'blower bass' — he's got the original sound — and we're having a blast jamming, improvising and writing. I think it's working pretty good."

On the topic of the lyrical themes covered in the new VOIVOD tracks, singer Denis "Snake" Bélanger said, "The song we played [on the recent European tour] ['Kaleidos'; see video below] is about conspiracy involving drugs and the FBI… [Laughs] It's hard to describe because we're kind of early in the process. There's another song called 'Target Earth', which is more like a spacy, conspiracy, controlling the information around the world. The main thing is the 'war' of information. You know, somebody Osama Bin Laden is dead, someone [else] says he's not… It gets to a point where everybody has his own story and nobody is sure what the truth is. There's people above everything controlling the information."

In a recent interview with Exclaim.ca, Away stated about VOIVOD's forthcoming studio album, "We have four songs completed and about five other ones in progress and it's more in the progressive metal vein, so it's reminiscent of the 'Dimension Hatross' era. We hope to record in the fall and have a new album out in the spring of 2012, so before the end of the world."

On the topic of the new VOIVOD live album, "Warriors Of Ice", featuring three-fourths of the band's classic lineup — Langevin, bassist Jean-Yves "Blacky" Thériault and vocalist Denis "Snake" Bélanger — along with Mongrain, Away said, "I feel like it's an achievement because there was a point where we weren't sure if there was going to be a new VOIVOD album. It's not a studio album but still something we're very proud of. It's good vintage VOIVOD. . . There was never really a live album with Snake and Blacky since the one before was us as a trio with [ex-bassist/vocalist] Eric Forrest. So, yeah, it's refreshing to have an album with almost the original lineup involved."

Regarding upcoming VOIVOD releases, Away stated, "There are no professional [unreleased] recordings in the vaults [with late VOIVOD guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour], but we are re-releasing a few albums in the upcoming months with bonus live material from the '80s."

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 29, 2011 19:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I almost wet my pants with excitement... but I'll hold it until the album makes me loose control!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted September 29, 2011 22:32     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They give Chewy a fuckin tapeworm or something? Christ I think I've gained every ounce he's lost, wtf...

JACKED for this.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 29, 2011 22:51     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good God, I'm fucking excited!!!
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 30, 2011 01:42     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn great news. Excitement modus = on

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 30, 2011 04:33     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great pictures!

"I don’t know what to say except that the stuff that we’re writing is really energetic and really, really intricate and psychedelic and punk and metal. We’re really, really confident about keeping Voivod intact."

-Away, http://www.bonereader.com/2011/09/28/voivod-warriors-of-ice-interview/

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted September 30, 2011 08:15     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great news, great pics, and I'm waiting for this album to be released with the same excitement I did when I was 13.

I'm also loving that their rehearsal place looks like a
Dump, just like mine

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 30, 2011 08:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding what the new VOIVOD songs sound like, Mongrain said in a recent interview, "(...)I'm in conflict of interest right now. I like (...) the new stuff, (...) it's (...) everything. (...) Blacky [Jean-Yves Thériault] [wants] the original sound — and we're having [several arguments] jamming, improvising and writing."

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 30, 2011 10:44     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seriously, Folks. Seeing these pics is so unreal. What could possibly come of this gathering? It can't suck. They've been touring with Chewy so they must all be mixed up good and well by now.

Set the stew on simmer. This pot's gonna be damn good.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 30, 2011 17:28     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just can't wait to hear this. Even though I was somewhat underwhelmed by the last few studio-albums, I'm still damn excited as fukk...bring it on!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted October 01, 2011 21:16     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Totally psyched here!! I have to admit after 'Infini' and Voivod never coming to Seattle I haven't really listened to them as much as I used to, but in the past couple of months (right around the time Piggy died I guess) I've been re-visiting everything.

And having Blacky back in the studio, the original Blacky/Away "schizosection" is really gonna make this new one rise above all expectations BRING IT!!!

Is everybody missing the other part about the re-releases?? I'm curious about those and the bonus demos that will come with 'em

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 01, 2011 23:53     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, if Kaleidos is a shape of things to come, we're on to something HUGE!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 01, 2011 23:57     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW, who wrote Kaleidos? Piggy was VV's riffmaster, is anyone in charge now? Or is it a collective effort?

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 02, 2011 00:56     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with Blacky on this one \m/
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 02, 2011 20:11     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got the impression that Blacky and Chewy have kicked off the writing efforts.

One of the things I am really excited about is hearing Blacky's influence on the composition part of the new tunes. Piggy was the riffmaster, but starting around Killing Technology and continuing through Angel Rat, you can hear the distinct angular feel of the compositions. This influence almost disappears immediately, at least as a consistent vibe, with The Outer Limits... He and Piggy were doing some mad scientist shit back then, haha.

Who knows what the album will be like, but I am beyond happy to see Voivod... THIS particular lineup of Voivod, carrying on.

Kaleidos sounds like a promising start!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 02, 2011 22:57     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've said it before and it bears repeating. Piggy's genius was accentuated heavily by Blacky's vastly underrated bass work. His presence wasn't glaringly missing until the Jason-era. Those three records were really good, with the Voivod sound being squashed out by non-complimentary bass lines.

While I could and would never attempt to slight Piggy's writing, I am positive that this next record is going to be a shocking return to form.

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 03, 2011 09:07     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is gonna be GODLY!!! Can't fucking wait!!!

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 04, 2011 13:20     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yayyy this is gonna be awesome!!

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan