my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » A message about your health

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A message about your health
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted August 29, 2011 22:49     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't post here that often, and when I do I often like to throw in some snarky humor, etc. I want to drop that for now and share some timely info with you:

When Piggy died, I remember thinking "he's only 45; how could he possibly die from colon cancer? That ony happens to older people, right?". Piggy would have been 51 today.

As I write this, there is a larger-than-zero chance that what happened to Piggy could happen to me. I'm 47 and in pretty good health. Or so I thoght. I went into the doctor for a yearly exam a couple of months ago, and they asked for a urine sample. In that sample, they detected blood. Later on, I saw it myself, and got concerned.

They sent me in to get scanned...kidneys were OK, but there's a small lump inside my bladder. The doctor says it's a cyst, or a polyp, and that they need to extract it.

Then he mentioned the word "cancer". As in "bladder cancer".

I'm now scheduled for surgery on Sept. 8 to get the lump extracted; they'll have to figure out whether it's benign, malignant, etc. I'm sooooooo fucking scared, even though rationally I know it could turn out OK. The doc says it's a good thing we caught it early, since it's pretty small, so there is that. Any of a number of things could happen, depending on what they find.

What does this have to do with you? So far, one member of Voivod has died from cancer, and at least one Voivod fan (me) now has cancer. What else do we have in common? Piggy was 45 when he succumbed. I'm 47 and just got diagnosed. I know lots of people here are in their 40s...maybe you.

Which is all a long way of asking everyone on this board to get a checkup, each and every year. A lot of people don't go to the doctor unless they're sick, and they might not notice anything is wrong until it's too late. I feel fine, for example, except for being an emotional wreck the last couple of days...I probably won't feel so great after surgery, but it might just save my life.

If you still haven't seen the doctor, even after Piggy passed six years ago (come on, admit it), please make an appointment. If just one person reading this could do that, I'd be very happy. Fuck cancer.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 30, 2011 10:36     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
very sorry to hear about this...i hope everything turns out to be the minimal amount of pain and trouble for you. i had to have a colonoscopy last year for a benign cyst. i agree with you on the whole getting checked thing... it can only help you in the long run.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 30, 2011 10:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow man.........we'll be thinking of you on the 8th! Main thing is they caught it early...take care Shred.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 30, 2011 14:44     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am very sorry to hear all this. I hope the very best for you and your family in the future.

I like to say you are very brave to speak about this. And pointing out that most of us also are mid 40's and are in the risk group. Thank you.

My father was diagnosed with blatter cancer a year ago and he is doing fine considered what he is going through. People tell me that blatter cancer is one of the best curable cancers and that chemo will be in the blatter and not outside, their for there is a good chance you will not be very sick from it.

Again I hope the best and keep my fingers crossed on the 8th.

best regards, Paulus.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 30, 2011 15:23     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No kidding Shred. I'm all about going in for a yearly inspection except I abhor the looking under (into?) the hood part...haha. Hope all goes well with the surgery. I've recently had a round of doctor appointments and it's all cause for extreme anxiety even if it's just for "tests"; there is always that unknown hanging heavy in my mind. Especially if you just feel like something is not quite right.

Cheers to all of us hitting our damn 40's and beyond!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 30, 2011 18:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best of luck to ya Shred.

Definitely good words of advice, because what you don't see CAN kill you.

--------------------

yawn

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 31, 2011 05:11     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear the news Shred - here's hoping you get the all clear asap. All the best mate.
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted August 31, 2011 05:55     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to hear it, Shred. Try not to connect the dots just yet, even though I understand it's scary (and tempting to read too much on the many online medical sites / forums!).

A good friend of mine who is a massive Voivod fan beat a diff. sort of cancer several years ago, so *if* you need to go the full-on treatment road, you will not be alone in that respect. He's doing great these days and I hope you will be fine, too.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 31, 2011 06:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really puts things into perspective right? My neighbor, a crusty old Vietnam Vet, had lung cancer which I believe is just about the worst type of cancer you can get, but the docs caught it early....through months of chemo he amazingly beat it, ...and then top it off, went BACK to smoking!! Now explain that to me???
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 31, 2011 17:03     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best of luck Shred, hope all will be ok

--------------------

String em up

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 31, 2011 18:14     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear this, man! Best wishes and I hope you'll be ok soon.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 01, 2011 02:23     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear Shred. I hope everything will be good for you. All the best!

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 03, 2011 14:28     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to hear this as well. What you say is true. None of us are getting any younger and keeping an eye on our health needs to be a more active factor in life.

Regardless of how things go, Shred, keep as positive a mindset as possible. It makes a huge difference and I believe can also alter the path your health takes.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 03, 2011 16:46     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Shred, I also echo the comments of our friends here and wish you the best.

Cancer can be scary shit, but it's not always a death sentence. Look into stuff on your own and ask your doctors a lot of questions. My mom had breast cancer a few years back and was really persistant about exploring all her options... seems like that played a big role in the sucess of her treatment... even if the doctors did get annoyed with her.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted September 05, 2011 23:06     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Always a smart thing to stay on top of it - Good man!

I'll be 41 in a couple weeks. I've had chronic stomach pain for the last 7 years thanks to a couple ulcers. Got scoped for it a couple times, biopsies proved non-cancerous. But the WAIT, knowing that it's a possibility, that sucks.

It definitely pays to NOT avoid the doctor, hoping the pain will stop on its own (which is extremely typical for males to do) - Our man Ronnie James Dio thought the same thing - Chronic stomach pain - Sang through the pain and *could* have caught it but didn't and paid the ultimate price. That's exactly what the Stand Up And Shout fund is for, to *educate* people on getting checked / screened EARLY.

If there's pain and you go get it checked, that doesn't make you a pussy - It *does* make you a pussy to avoid the doctor because you're afraid of the findings! 'Cause guess what, folks - You're going to find out sooner or later, might as well find out early so you have a fighting chance to actually do something about it.

More power to you! LIVE AND BURN

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 06, 2011 08:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sending positive thoughts here from Brazil, Shred. Everything will be OK. We have plenty of years of Voïvod ahead of us, none of us will miss them.

BTW, I'm in my very late thirties and it's been a while since I last went to a doctor for a check up. Planning to do it next month.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 06, 2011 21:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this was FaceBook, I'd have checked "LIKE" on Paulie 88's post. Very good points made. I'm also like most males and wait for the pain to go away on it's own. I've suffered a lot doing this, luckily through nothing life threatening (needed surgery for 2 fissures that I kept trying to ignore for too long... that was fuckin' unbearable pain many times) The older ya get the more important a good diet and exercise become.

My Dr. gave me a month to get my blood pressure under control or she's putting me on meds, which I DO NOT want to be on. So, I've really been watching what I eat, loosing weight, and working out & running when possible. It seems to be working, but I'll get the real verdict at the end of September.

--------------------

yawn

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted September 09, 2011 15:16     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, I'm actually here! Still waiting for the last of the anesthesia to wear off, eating percocet like it's popcorn, but that's it. oh yeah, there's also pain in 'that area', bad at first but rapidly getting better.

Hey everyone, I just want to say a big "THANK YOU" for all your kind words. I can't say enough how encouraging you've been, and thinking about all you other metal heads made me smile. Cheers! I'd lift a tall one in your honor, but alkyhaul and percocet don't mix...

I was a big chicken with this being my first surgery, plus being spooked by the C word. The doc said they got it all out, and it was bigger than they thought. No idea what happens next, don't even know what stage this thing is, etc. But it's out now, so I can get on with life.

Sounds like everyone has gotten my "get yourself checked!!!" message, which I'm glad to hear. That's been my main point. I'd forgotten about Dio and his "play through the pain" thing...yeesh. Take care of yourselves, and from my heart, thanks again for your support!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 09, 2011 18:17     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fuck that... crush em and rail them!

glad you're ok though, you have to watch those doctors.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2011 22:30     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
Wow, I'm actually here! Still waiting for the last of the anesthesia to wear off, eating percocet like it's popcorn, but that's it. oh yeah, there's also pain in 'that area', bad at first but rapidly getting better.

Hey everyone, I just want to say a big "THANK YOU" for all your kind words. I can't say enough how encouraging you've been, and thinking about all you other metal heads made me smile. Cheers! I'd lift a tall one in your honor, but alkyhaul and percocet don't mix...

I was a big chicken with this being my first surgery, plus being spooked by the C word. The doc said they got it all out, and it was bigger than they thought. No idea what happens next, don't even know what stage this thing is, etc. But it's out now, so I can get on with life.

Sounds like everyone has gotten my "get yourself checked!!!" message, which I'm glad to hear. That's been my main point. I'd forgotten about Dio and his "play through the pain" thing...yeesh. Take care of yourselves, and from my heart, thanks again for your support!

Shred I'm raising a tall one in your honor right now! Here's hoping you make a full recovery very soon and get off those damn pain pills and back to the beer! Take it easy man....

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 09, 2011 23:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad to read that you're recovering SHRED. Hopefully more good news will continue.

YOu'll just have to owe us all that beer, when you're off the percs.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 10, 2011 08:39     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, great news indeed Shred!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan