my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod to curate Roadburn festival 2012 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Voivod to curate Roadburn festival 2012
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 23, 2011 14:56     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn excited about it. Friend told me this last Friday already, but I wasn't sure it was hope and beer...

quote:
Roadburn is elated to announce the curator for the 17th edition of the festival: Voivod. After the band’s widely acclaimed and artistically inspiring performances at the 2011 festival, Voivod has agreed to curate our festival on Friday, April 13, 2012.

As curator, Voivod will personally select the bands that will play during their special event at Roadburn and perform a special headline show. We had a revelation this year: namely, that Voivod and Roadburn are not only kindred spirits musically and artistically, but also on the same wavelength in other ways, too. Voivod personifies the laidback Roadburn vibe. Respected by fans and bands that span the festival’s sonic spectrum,

Voivod is the ideal pick as Roadburn’s fifth curator. The band will carry on a tradition that began in 2008 with David Tibet, followed by Neurosis in 2009, Triptykon’s Tom Gabriel Warrior in 2010 and Sunn 0))) aka Greg Anderson and Stephen O’Malley at this year’s festival. After Voivod agreed to curate the Friday, we could not resist asking them to stay for a second show. It’s on! The band will appear on Saturday, April 14, 2012, too.

Away comments: “We are truly honored to curate the Roadburn Voivod day on april 13, 2012. We will make sure that the whole spectrum of experimental music influential to Voivod is represented.Thanks to the Roadburn folks for inviting us, we’re already counting the days in anticipation of the event !!”

We are overjoyed to join forces with Voivod for the upcoming Roadburn Festival. The band’s take on thrash metal, hardcore, prog rock, avant-garde and punk has been honed to perfection for almost three decades. Captured in various stages and formations on more than 13 albums, including the legendary Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss and Nothingface trilogy, the chilling Phobos and 2003′s high energy self-titled release, what began as a desire to do their own thing is now recognized as groundbreaking. The band has strongly influenced scores of musicians practicing the kind of sonic alchemy that defies simple tags like “heavy metal” or “psychedelic.”

We are truly looking forward to the new ideas and visions that Voivod will bring to the festival next year. If asked to sum up Roadburn in one word, “progressive” would be a fitting choice. Evolution is a big part of this. The festival is a tribute to the open-mindedness of its bands, curators and audience. The joy comes from expanding musical horizons and looking at familiar territory from new angles. We will definitely be in for some artistic surprises with the always intrepid Voivod as our curator. We are excited to find out what they have in store for us!

Roadburn Festival 2012, including Voivod’s special event, will run for four days from Thursday, April 12 to Sunday, April 15 (the traditional Afterburner) at the 013 venue in Tilburg, Holland. Pre-sales will start
Saturday, November 26th, 2011.

http://www.roadburn.com/2011/08/voivod-to-curate-roadburn-festival-2012/

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

|  IP: Logged
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted August 23, 2011 15:28     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice one, Rob!

Keeping this fantastic news under wraps was extremely challenging...Actually, I thought for sure when Walter "tweeted" that he was off to Montreal a while back the nuclear cat would be out of the bag!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 23, 2011 16:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell, Robert. I was already copy and pasting it on here but you beat me to it...

Now is how to get tickets? Last year Roadburn sold out in 15 minutes I believe??

This is indeed fantastic news.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 24, 2011 01:40     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulussie:
Now is how to get tickets? Last year Roadburn sold out in 15 minutes I believe??

Go to your local record store/ticketmaster and take your biggest shotgun. Be on time and only "show" how keen you are on getting a ticket

Maybe we can arrange something, so one of us is doing the waiting for the door thing for the both of us

--------------------

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted August 24, 2011 03:52     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A Pocket Guide to Coping with Roadburn Ticket Pre-Sales Anxiety:

1) Exhale completely, contracting your abdominal muscles so that your diaphragm expels all the air from your lungs.

2) Inhale slowly by expanding your abdomen. Bring air into your body through your nose.

3) Continue inhaling and let your chest follow your abdomen and begin to expand. Let your shoulders to rise a little. Imagine the fresh new air filling your head with energy and your hands with Roadburn tickets.

4) Hold your breath for a few seconds as long as your are comfortable. At no point should this breathing exercise feel uncomfortable or forced.

5) Allow your shoulders to drop and your chest to contract and begin expelling the air from your lungs. Breathe air out through your mouth. Imagine all the freaked out, panicky, Roadburn ticket anxiety leaving your body.

6) Continue exhaling and let your abdomen push in.

7) Do these deep breaths at least 10 times and repeat this relaxing breathing cycle at various times during the day (at least twice).

As you develop this relaxing breathing pattern you will find that you will be able to hold your breath for longer and your respiration rate will start to slow.

9) After about three weeks your mind will start to build this in as a regular habit and the effort required to maintain it will fall away.

with thanks to http://www.hypnosis-and-health.com/relaxing-breathing.html

10) For online ticket purchases: get your account sorted well in advance. Test your means of payment to ensure it is accepted.

How many sob stories have I heard where someone wasn't aware that their credit card had expired, or there was something wrong with their wifi, etc etc. A little bit of preparation can spare a lot of stress and disappointment!

The time zone difference, too, tends to challenge some people. How many times have I heard a variation on the following:

"Dude...this sucks...I got up early...and like I logged on...before 10...and it was already sold out..."

"You do know that 10am Saturday in the Netherlands is 1am Saturday California time, right?"

"Whoooaaa, whaaat? Wait...what?"

The world clock is your friend!
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

11) Do not, I repeat, do not panic if tix sell out at warp speed.

Inevitably, there are always folks selling spare tix on the DoomForeverForeverDoomed forum!

There's a special corner set up just for Roadburn: http://foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=37

The closer we get to the actual festival, the more offers you will find. These are *not* scalpers, these are true fans and I have never heard of anyone getting ripped off. Do register well in advance in order to be able to post / respond.

And remember -- Do not panic!

12) For locals: yes, camp out early at the nearest ticket outlet on Saturday, 26 November, bring friends, make it a party!

I had agreed to buy Roadburn tickets for friends in Switzerland and Norway back in 2009. But it turned out tix were going on sale the same morning I had a 10:20 train to Paris to catch. Oh noooo! Except, wait: no worries, Rotterdam Centraal has a ticket outlet, should be fine, right?

I got there so early it wasn't even funny. Not the most scenic place to hang out, Rotterdam central station, and it was freezing, too. Thank goodness for the Lebkov Brothers coffee place around the corner.
I was getting antsier and antsier. The tide of grim-looking commuters rushing past continued to grow. Construction started up.

Finally, it was time for them to open. There was one girl. She roamed around the office, went behind the counter, came back out. Doors still locked. Finally, the lights went on. But the doors remained shut. It was almost 10!!! Come on!!!

She surveyed the computers quizically, as if she wasn't quite sure about what to do. Eventually, she moseyed to the doors, and I burst into the office, breathlessly asked for the tix, and away she went, into the back. What is she doing?! Come back! Don't leeeave meee!

By this time another employee had arrived, and she was helping a guy. At first glance, he didn't seem like a "Roadburnganger," but then I heard the lady say, "O het is uitverkocht" Sold out?! Whaaaat?! Nooooo!
Then her colleague returned, and handed me the tix. Thank goo---WHAT?! Wait! These are for the Roadburn AFTERBURNER, I need the REAL tickets!!! Is it sold out?!!

No, it wasn't sold out -- the guy had been trying to buy tix to some techno fest, which was sold out. All systems still go for Roadburn. The girl had simply made a mistake & printed out Afterburner tix. She quickly returned with the "real" deal. I thanked her profusely, and she regarded me with a mixture of curiosity and bafflement.
And I had 10 minutes to catch the Thalys.

For the next three days, I obsessively checked my bag, petrified that I would get pickpocketed in the metro. I was loathe to stash them at my friend's place for fear her toddler would use the tix as a coloring book. But of course it all worked out fine.

This is all part of the Roadburn Experience

Keep breathing & you'll be fine.

-Leslie

PS: I would gladly offer to pick up tix for Voivod fans living abroad, except that I will actually be blissfully unwired on a small island in the States when they go on sale...!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 24, 2011 08:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, Leslie. This is quit an answer...

After reading all this I will be there in november to pick tickets up, I hope for several people. So if some of you guys are interested in going to the festival I will stick my neck out, step in my car, drive the whole 125 kilometers breath in and out in the way explained above.....
Get a hold of the tickets for people who are going for certain and who transfer some money to me first...
Then I will drive 125 kilometers back and everything will be fine.

How does this sound?

--------------------

Mezcalla
VoivodFan
Member # 1295

posted August 24, 2011 10:31     Profile for Mezcalla   Email Mezcalla     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, fantastic!
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 24, 2011 14:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lady and Gent:

You rule. Nuff said.

Well, I have a bit of time to let this sink in and to practice the yoga trance breathing technique AND try to somehow conjure up the cash-ola, so thanks for being of assistance.

Away, Blacky, Snake and Chewy curating what always looks and reads to me like a not-to-miss gathering makes me smile. So Cheers and Beers Voivod!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 24, 2011 14:30     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I suppose we could gather up in the close neighbourhood. There are nice parks nearby:

--------------------

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted August 24, 2011 15:09     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You rule, Paul! I think Luna needs to stay in a jungalow* at the Beekse Bergen Safaripark:

If zebra doesn't suit, they've got giraffe & leopard motifs, too...

*hardly anyone here seems to find this half as funny as I do. then again, insane clown posse never quit gained a foothold in the lowlands...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 24, 2011 15:19     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh no, it is you all who should get the credits.... I just want to meet up with ya'll and have tons of fun.

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 25, 2011 05:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanna know more about the 'special headline show'! This is gonna be incredible. Even more so if we can get a huge VVF meet on the go. I'm in!
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 25, 2011 06:02     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Meg and me will drive there in the volvod if we can get tickets. Too good to miss this one

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 25, 2011 11:24     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
I think Luna needs to stay in a jungalow* at the Beekse Bergen Safaripark:

Nice! Are the jungalows booked up already?

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 25, 2011 15:42     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes please.

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhowl
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1347

posted August 25, 2011 21:56     Profile for Mezcalhowl   Email Mezcalhowl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did somebody say Juggalo???

You think Roadburn's the shit...think again bitches(cause this party got curated by Charlie Sheen!!):

THEGATHERING

Oh yeah, think you'll get laid at Roadburn???...think again bitches...hate to bust your bubble but getting laid at the GATHERING ain't no problem at t'all...check this action out:

SEXY!

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 26, 2011 01:47     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhowl:

You think Roadburn's the shit...think again bitches(cause this party got curated by Charlie Sheen!!):

THEGATHERING

Oh yeah, think you'll get laid at Roadburn???...think again bitches...hate to bust your bubble but getting laid at the GATHERING ain't no problem at t'all...check this action out:

SEXY!

There goes my breakfast....... Please don't do that again!

--------------------

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted August 26, 2011 02:48     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luna, from what I've heard they aren't booked up yet, though they get more and more returning guests each year.

Apparently, once you've stayed in a jungalow nothing else will do

A Pocket Guide to Roadburn Accommodation Options

In addition to staying at a luxury Jungalow at the Beekse Bergen Safaripark, there is always a special Roadburn campsite on the grounds, too. So far, reviews have been favorable. Think Wacken -- but with wild animals (the four-footed variety, that is).

For the non-campers:

The only real drawback to Roadburn is not the inevitable timetable clashes but the lack of hotels in downtown Tilburg. Plus, there are only three B&Bs in the entire city.

But it isn't too surprising: aside from the various great music events, what does Tilburg have to offer in the way of attractions that would merit multiple-night stays? Right: not much! Even though it has a university, it's not a big college town like Nijmegen or Utrecht, and it's not a big commercial centre like Eindhoven, where there are tons of hotels, hostels, guesthouses, short-stay apartments and b&bs.

Eindhoven is a perfectly fine homebase option if you're going to Roadburn; it's a short train ride, direct connection. Just follow the sea of beardos and Ulver sweatshirts at the station and you'll be on your way. To Tilburg, hopefully. Or, you'll find yourself in Helmond before someone speaks up, possibly with an Italian accent, "I think we were supposed to take the train going in the other direction..." This is not to cast aspersion on the Italians' train navigation abilities, btw. There are just always lots of them roaming around Eindhoven one weekend every April. We love them!

Ibis Tilburg is a perfectly fine place, popular with festivalgoers, and a quick bike / bus / cab ride / leisurely stroll from the venues. The hotel currently has double & single rooms available:
http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-0647-ibis-tilburg/index.shtml

At the moment, the bookings.com site quotes a rate of 215 euros per person for three nights.

The Mercure Hotel Tilburg Centrum rules because it is a few steps away from the 013 and a few steps away from the Midi. However, it's practically full, and they have really, REALLY jacked up the prices. Supply & demand, I guess.

Bookings.com is showing "superior double rooms" only, for 290 euros a person for the three nights.

There are other hotel options in nearby Den Bosch, too, and Den Bosch is gorgeous.

That's all for now. And should you decide to go to "The Gathering" instead, rumour has it Charlie Sheen handpicked Chile's very own Six Weapons to headline...

...but that is probably too good to be true...

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 26, 2011 04:51     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhowl:

THEGATHERING

SEXY!

Wow! Inflatable moon bounces. Now i'm all confused...

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 26, 2011 10:28     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
Eindhoven.... Just follow the sea of beardos and Ulver sweatshirts at the station and you'll be on your way.

Well then. Beardos and Ulver sweatshirts? What more could I ask for?

Seriously. I need to work an extra shift to afford this.

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 26, 2011 12:47     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Well then. Beardos and Ulver sweatshirts? What more could I ask for?

Seriously. I need to work an extra shift to afford this.

My wife and I pick you up from the airport in case it is needed.

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 26, 2011 20:53     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't allow myself to miss it this time...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted August 27, 2011 11:37     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i would LOVE to go to this. i've already tried convincing my boyfriend that his first trip to europe must be to see voivod. he wasnt really having it so far....
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 27, 2011 12:22     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Show him the door!! Hahaha!!
I really want to make this one. Better get a hotel booked pretty soon then I guess! When do the tickets go on sale, next year?

--------------------

String em up

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted August 27, 2011 22:58     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is how the conversation seemed to go:

him: "meh... i mean, you were equally freaking out as much about tom g. doing it last year"

me: "so? its voivod. Away and the gang! we gotta go! plus its always within days of my birthday!"

him: "well, how much is it gonna cost? we'll never make it. where is my coffee??" *end of discussion once his coffee was found*

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan