my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Opeth going ProgRock? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Opeth going ProgRock?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 27, 2011 15:53     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, sounds like Opeth is moving into more of a 70s prog direction and less metal.

The Devil's Orchard

I dunno, kind of makes sense to me but I'd imagine a lot of people are unhappy about this direction. I am spinning equal amounts prog rock and metal these days, so no red flags from me at this point. Didn't really think much of Watershed, but this track has me curious to what the rest of this album will sound like.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted July 27, 2011 16:17     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm diggin every measure of this tune. I'm glad you posted this, Mike. I was thinking about you when I heard this last night for the first time as I know you are as into the old prog as I am.
The organ sounds alone are worth the price of admission for me. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album and what Alex Acuna adds to the percussive side of the record.

Greg

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 27, 2011 21:50     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Opeth were becoming a little bit formulaic, this new song is indeed promising and a breath of fresh air for the guys. Looking forward to the whole album as well!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 28, 2011 06:17     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like what I heard there, so went and re-visted 'Watershed', and I'm with X-D on this one. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 28, 2011 10:29     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm liking this. And I'm liking that they are touring with Katatonia in the fall. When is this being released again?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted July 28, 2011 14:06     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, is a nice and brave direction for a band like Opeth..

After listening this I had to give Deliverance a spin

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 28, 2011 20:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No cookie monster vocals on the entire album. I'm sure it'll upset certain fans just like Damnation did, but it'll make me happy.

I thought Watershed was interesting but I honestly probably have only listened to it a few time. Nothing really hooked me, although I thought it was pretty diverse and different.

Akerfelt has yet another vocal treatment on this new song that he's never really used on previous album. It definitely has that old school jazzy prog rock vibe, and I'm dying to hear the rest of it. Nice to see them working with Steven Wilson again... which brings me to the question of: When is the Wilson/Akerfelt project going to see the light of day? This has been in the works for many years and I'm so curious to hear whet they come up with.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 30, 2011 12:31     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finally made it back from a hot and long vacantion in Turkey. Now I have the time to listen in the link is dead....
Has anyone downloaded this thing in mp3 and willing to share it with me?
Or a link to somewhere it can be found??
thanks...

voivodian@hotmail.com

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted July 30, 2011 16:50     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here you go
http://soundcloud.com/stereogum/opeth-the-devils-orchard

--------------------

reluctantking
VoivodFan
Member # 653

posted July 30, 2011 18:20     Profile for reluctantking   Email reluctantking     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it sounds a little bit like CAN..if the rest of this sounds like this one song I think I am in for a treat...
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 31, 2011 04:54     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
Here you go
http://soundcloud.com/stereogum/opeth-the-devils-orchard

dankjewel Robert !!!

I have to hear this some more I guess. First impression: Cookie growls are gone is fine by me, but not much metal anymore is there?

I always liked the blasting metal parts in Opeth the most.....

Maybe I change my mind after some more listenings...

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 04, 2011 14:27     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool! No cookie monster vocals? I may finally be interested in listening to them. I know the Porcupine Tree connection has been drawing me in for a while now.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 08, 2011 15:02     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I downloaded it just now and I heard 40 secs of all songs.
I am pretty dissappointed by the whole thing so far. I was hoping the devils orchard would be the slowest song on the album, but it is by far the heaviest.

What do you think of it??

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 08, 2011 18:22     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've downloaded the whole album and listened to 2 seconds of every song and I'm disappointed that it didn't sound like total grindcore.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 08, 2011 21:22     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've downloaded the whole album and listened to all the seconds of every song. It was expected, but still I'm surprised that they're now a Prog Rock band.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2011 00:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm really looking forward to getting this one....Guess Akerfeldt was tiring of the growl. I remember one concert I went to with them and he took about 30 seconds between songs to make fun of it. Personally I thought that was kind of dumb but hey, it was his show.
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 09, 2011 02:11     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Opeth with to much cookie monster voice isn't my cup of tea, but without it it isn't Opeth...

I guess I wait till I heard the whole disc from my stereo...

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 09, 2011 05:36     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the growls got a bit stale on their recent albums. Why use them when you don't really need them. Kudos to Mr. Akerfeldt for following his heart and trying something different instead of releasing 'Ghost Reveries Pt. 2'.

I liked that new song. But I'm a prog nerd anyway.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 09, 2011 07:21     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
I think the growls got a bit stale on their recent albums. Why use them when you don't really need them. Kudos to Mr. Akerfeldt for following his heart and trying something different instead of releasing 'Ghost Reveries Pt. 2'.

I liked that new song. But I'm a prog nerd anyway.

I see what you mean but it isn't about the growls alone. I also understand why Opeth went this direction, but this album could have been prog AND heavy, like it hoped.
I listened to it today in it's whole. It is fine by me, I will not purchase this one although I own every Opeth cd. Here is the advantage in downloading first buy later !!!

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 09, 2011 09:36     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess they didn't want it to be heavy. Every band needs to step out of the box sometimes. Personally I would have been disappointed if they kept on releasing more of the same. But I understand people not liking this softer approach. I do sometimes (listening to Carcass right now). As long as they're totally behind their new music, it'll be fine. At least it's not 'Illud Divinum Insanus'.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 09, 2011 10:43     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll buy this when I can afford to...haha. I'm sure I'll like it too since I've got that nerdy/proggy soul as well. Finally watched the Opeth DVD live at the Royal Albert Hall. Maybe they're on their way out...out of Opeth-as-we-know-them mode. Who knows? They've been at it for quite some time now and Akerfeldt has a wide range of musical interests so it's bound to take hold of him somehow.

I'm curious about that Wilson/Akerfeldt record. Man, they've been keeping us waiting forever on that one.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 09, 2011 13:49     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've listened to it a few times and I can very much see it dividing their fanbase. It's barely a "metal" record, but it really is a solid "prog rock" record and should definitly appeal to the cross section of their fanbase that leans toward the prog/Porcupine Tree side of things.

Seems like a necessary (and honest) reboot to start a new era for the band.

Hopefully the death metal elements aren't gone forever, but this is a pretty great record in my opinion. Very much dig the whole thing.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2011 22:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can envision the promotion for the next album......"RETURN TO HEAVY"........'Heritage' was just an experiment...we wanted to return to our roots with the new one....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 09, 2011 23:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also applaud Akerfeldt for always wanted to go diagonally or in a completely different direction than his fans might expect (although his fans should realize, that's what he does). Damnation is still my favorite, so I have no doubt I'll enjoy my limited edition version when it arrives.

I also appreciate artists who realize they've taken something as far as they can go with it without being redundant, and it's time to experiment, grow, and evolve.

I totally understand this album will upset lots of the fans who love the classic Opeth sound (just like Damnation did) but the only person a real musician needs to make happy is himself.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 13, 2011 18:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NPR is streaming the entire album!!!

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan