my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Justify Your Shitty Taste

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Justify Your Shitty Taste
Rev. Joel
VoivodFan
Member # 1024

posted June 15, 2011 12:03     Profile for Rev. Joel   Email Rev. Joel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This just went up today...
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/justify-your-shitty-taste-voivods-phobos/

--------------------

"Wow, a superpowers drug you can just rub into your skin? You'd think it'd be something you'd have to freebase."
- Philip J. Fry

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 15, 2011 13:12     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought there were only two versions of Phobos... turns out there are FOUR!

Phobos, to me, is a masterpiece. Heavy and psychedelic, which is what I find lacking in the Jasonic era albums (not that they are bad, they're different - and thank Korgull every VV album is different!). It sounds so huge and trippy, and conceptually, like Jeff Wagner says, it's very focused. To me, this is like Dimension Hätross, pt. 2.

Now, where is that unreleased Eric-era album!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 15, 2011 20:13     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
Now, where is that unreleased Eric-era album!

Yes, PLEASE! These demos need to be released!

Great summary of Phobos and truly, this is one Voivod's finest works. Loved it when I first heard it, and it's only gotten better to me over the years.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Rev. Joel
VoivodFan
Member # 1024

posted June 15, 2011 23:52     Profile for Rev. Joel   Email Rev. Joel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still relatively new to all things Voivod, but I agree. Phobos is heavy, creepy, and dark, just like Voivod oughta be.

--------------------

"Wow, a superpowers drug you can just rub into your skin? You'd think it'd be something you'd have to freebase."
- Philip J. Fry

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 16, 2011 00:20     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I wore a purple Angel Rat shirt to this year’s Maryland Deathfest because I figured if you’re gonna get beat up at a death metal festival for wearing the shirt of a maligned pussy/wimp/sellout album, make it one you’re ready to die for."

Fucking right!

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 16, 2011 02:29     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
"I wore a purple Angel Rat shirt to this year’s Maryland Deathfest because I figured if you’re gonna get beat up at a death metal festival for wearing the shirt of a maligned pussy/wimp/sellout album, make it one you’re ready to die for."

That's why I like to wear my white TOL tour shirt so often in "black textile gatherings"

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 16, 2011 09:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I simply adore this album. I play it much much more then other albums.

Only the production isn't quit all right imo.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted June 16, 2011 15:22     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An album that has grown on me like a monster! I dare to say that this is one of the best guitars performed by Piggy!!! His work is SO HUGE & UPFRONT! I fucking love it!

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted June 17, 2011 00:08     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I Agree with Phobos being one scary, creepy, metal album. I did not learn to appreciate this era of Voivod until after 2005.

Songs like Rise, Bacteria, and Forlorn, are awesome, and have not been imitated/duplicated since.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 17, 2011 22:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I originally had a hard time accepting the fact that Snake was no longer the singer of Voivod, and while I bought all the Eric era releases when they came out (or at least when I found out they had been released, since label support and promotion was almost nonexistent) I didn't listen to them very often since Eric's vocals were so different than what Snake's had evolved into and I found so unique. However, after reading so many great reviews from fans on VVF (and the previous site, that I won't bother mentioning since it doesn't deserve to be and since Warcorpse created VVF where all the cool fans defected to live in harmony) I've found new appreciation for the amazing albums that were created when Eric was in the band. They remind me of more refined earlier Voivod in the vocal department before Snake found his voice, and musically they had evolved as they always had from their previous albums... SO WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? RIGHT?

--------------------

yawn

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 18, 2011 04:10     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I originally had a hard time accepting the fact that Snake was no longer the singer of Voivod, and while I bought all the Eric era releases when they came out (or at least when I found out they had been released, since label support and promotion was almost nonexistent) I didn't listen to them very often since Eric's vocals were so different than what Snake's had evolved into and I found so unique. However, after reading so many great reviews from fans on VVF (and the previous site, that I won't bother mentioning since it doesn't deserve to be and since Warcorpse created VVF where all the cool fans defected to live in harmony) I've found new appreciation for the amazing albums that were created when Eric was in the band. They remind me of more refined earlier Voivod in the vocal department before Snake found his voice, and musically they had evolved as they always had from their previous albums... SO WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? RIGHT?

I guess it was the same here. I bought them both, but after some spins they went on te shelf for at least 5 to 6 years. I carefully tried them again and nowadays I listen them more often than the Jason albums.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 18, 2011 18:01     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
I guess it was the same here. I bought them both, but after some spins they went on te shelf for at least 5 to 6 years. I carefully tried them again and nowadays I listen them more often than the Jason albums.

I am the same way. It was hard enough to deal with Blacky's vacancy. At the time, Snake's departure left me having a hard time finding a new handle on the band. In retrospect, I can listen to Phobos when I'm in the mood, and to a lesser degree, Negatron. For me however, Snake's return is what gave me the ability to go back and give those records a real listen.

There's some incredible creativity and writing on Phobos. I like the spacious recording best.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 18, 2011 21:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cranked up Phobos at work today, and I find the more I listen to it the more I enjoy it. It won't get the same play time as say Killing Tech, Dim Hatross, Nothing Face, The Outer Limits, or Angel Rat, but I definitely have a lot of new found respect for the Eric era of Voivod. Even if his vocals aren't as unique as Snake's the musicianship is as tight and evolving as usual.

--------------------

yawn

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted June 20, 2011 18:56     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys buy vinyl and so you have to get up and flip the records over all day long?

Really?

Death/Black metallers are a bunch of wierdos, fer sure Bubbaskuz!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 21, 2011 10:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
"black textile gatherings"

haha

I heart Phobos. I don't even understand why this is in a Justify your Shitty Taste column. Makes me wonder what the hell I was doing in 1997. Now I wish had my copy of Phobos here at work.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted June 21, 2011 17:02     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool!

Now let's talk about St. Anger!

"my lifestyle determines my death -style"

Whoa!

Bitchin' super cool, Bubbaskuz!

roman1972
VoivodFan
Member # 1187

posted June 24, 2011 19:54     Profile for roman1972   Email roman1972     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PHOBOS is a masterpiece...PERIOD!!!!!!!!
roman1972
VoivodFan
Member # 1187

posted June 26, 2011 18:51     Profile for roman1972   Email roman1972     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
jesus freakin christ I can't believe this bullcrap, how is PHOBOS a shit record???

I LOVE THIS RECORD in it's intirety! In my opinion no HÄTROSS or NOTHINGFACE but still one of their best albums

kwolf68
VoivodFan
Member # 1336

posted August 04, 2011 15:43     Profile for kwolf68   Email kwolf68     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just another twist and turn in this mega badass band.

Sure, my faves are Dimension and Killing Tech, but each of their albums stand on their own cred and what I love the most about Voivod is how they evolved as a band, they just kept getting better and doing different things.

The progression of this band is what has kept me interested 25 years after I discovered them. I go through fazes of music and bands, but Voivod has always remained in my personal rotation.

And like someone above said, I really like the guitars in Phobos...ball kicking guitar work by Piggy.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan