my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod Zurich 26 April 2011

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivod Zurich 26 April 2011
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted April 29, 2011 10:08     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grutzi! Just back from Zurich, it was another high energy show Tuesday night in a one-of-a-kind club in a rather posh part of town--wait, it's a Swiss city...most of town is rather posh. A great vibe, with a friendly diverse crowd of old-timers and a small but very enthusiastic contingency of 20-something Swiss metalheads.

"Kaleidos" continues to take shape, and by now Snake is very confident with the lyrics. No new additions to the KT, DH and NF songs on this Euro tour '11 but overall a very cohesive set.

It would be great if they brought back "Panorama," it was a standout during the second Roadburn show.

"Forlorn" has grown darker and more menacing, and a gleefully unhinged version of "Nuclear War" was an unexpected highlight.

This time I took...zero...pictures! Hmm.

But, a one "Panzerpilz" posted this footage of "Ripping Headaches" - balcony-eye view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfqQcdvtl4

Afterwards, and I think this is something that everyone needs to experience at least once, none other than former Celtic Frost bassist (and Mascotte co-owner) Martin Ain came out and proceeded to host the weekly live karaoke party...

Yes, karaoke with a real live backing band. He was like the wise-cracking troll in Lord of the Rings, keeping up a non-stop patter of banter, alternating glorifying and cutting himself and the crowd down. Suddenly, Tom G's anecdote about leaving him at a gas station years ago on tour didn't seem like a tall tale...

It was pretty hilarious, especially a shirtless Mantas-lookalike in skintight acidwash jeans channeling Iggy Pop during "I Wanna Be Your Dog." I had expected the worst (briefly confirmed by the lounge lizard massacring "Paint It Black") but instead found myself in a start of permanent giggles as various local and clearly seasoned participants (as well as two of the Grim Skunk dudes) covered everything from "Paranoid" to "Ace of Spades" -- three diff. versions of the latter all in a row!

We had to drive back to Basel so we left before it ended, but it was definitely the most unorthodox post-Voivod event I've ever experienced.

I hadn't been to a show in Switzerland in a while and this excursion reminded me to do it more often, there is something great about the audiences, the overall mood. I don't know, maybe it's the lack of any kind of hipster or cliquey vibe, and there's also an element of wackiness or goofiness, everyone is friendly and very down to earth.

Which you might not expect in a mega-rich country where takeaway coffee runs upward of 7 euros...Or maybe it's just that we only go to GOOD shows, where fun people and no Attitude are guaranteed?

Here are a few non-concert pictures that capture the mood of Voivod trippin' in Zurich:

The doomiest natural foods store chain around

As seen on the wall behind the Fraumunster cathedral

Martin Ain kicks off his infamous "Karaoke from Hell" party with a rendition of "War Pigs"

Gig poster featured the DH cover, hard to tell in this late night no flash pic

Sadly, no trip to Paris on Monday: Voivod was scheduled to play the beautiful Divan du Monde club (on the Rue des Martyrs!) but as of today it is CANCELLED "due to low ticket sales."

Merde!

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 29, 2011 11:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a great write up...I love it! You've captured what I can only make up in my mind. Love the photos too. Tracking this tour on here and with Dan's pics on f-book has me sick with a travel bug. I MUST GET OUTTA HERE SOON!

Thank you

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

cosmonaut12
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1297

posted April 29, 2011 13:40     Profile for cosmonaut12   Email cosmonaut12     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
Sadly, no trip to Paris on Monday: Voivod was scheduled to play the beautiful Divan du Monde club (on the Rue des Martyrs!) but as of today it is CANCELLED "due to low ticket sales."

Merde!

Yeah, I have a friend in Paris, and she's quite disappointed about that. Especially after I spent the weekend bragging about how much fun they were live.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 30, 2011 14:07     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing!

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted April 30, 2011 14:21     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Originally posted by 317537:
"Grutzi! Just back from Zurich, it was another high energy show Tuesday night..."

Hey dude, thanks for that really nice review, I'm from Zurich, and I was totally happy of course, it was a revelation to me.
There is indeed a good culture here in Zurich, lot's of music, gigs going on, with quite reasonable prices etc.
Best spot regarding culture/music/theatre etc. in the country.

I kept headbanging etc. in front of my old hero Blacky, and it feels like whiplash now, and tinnitus, still a bit.
Perfect.

Are you from Paris?
Or France?

Anyway thanks, and cheers,

S.

--------------------

What the...?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 01, 2011 08:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Low ticket sales in Paris???? WTF is wrong with the french??
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 03, 2011 05:29     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

About everything is wrong with the French... They threw atomic bombs on muruoa years ago!! And they refuse to speak other then native language. And now they do not go to a VOivod show. F**kers.

Good review!! thanks

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 03, 2011 08:38     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

They've got cheese stuck in their ears.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted May 05, 2011 19:23     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and not even nice cheese. Just stinky cheese.

--------------------

String em up

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted May 06, 2011 06:46     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm, ok next time I'll keep quiet about any French gig cancellations *lol*

In other news, here's a marvellous set of pix from the Zurich gig by der ohlsen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/derohlsen/sets/72157626616510314

And a fun writeup by the man behind the lens (now that the French have been bashed, it's time to practice your German *lol*) http://derohlsen.blogspot.com/2011/04/zurich-voivod-hamburg.html

Enjoy!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted May 06, 2011 17:42     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yay, now I can add Froggy-bashing to my list of heinous crimes!!

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 06, 2011 20:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great review and I love the signed band promo photo in the last picture of the Zurich photos.

--------------------

yawn

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted May 06, 2011 22:51     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that photo of them all laughing and smiling in the 2nd link is ultra cute. im glad they're having such a great time overseas!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan