my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » WHOCARES...with Jason Newsted on Bass

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHOCARES...with Jason Newsted on Bass
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 06, 2011 14:46     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHOCARES — what hides behind this new band name is in fact the renewed musical union between legendary DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan and none other than BLACK SABBATH's Tony Iommi: the undisputed master of heavy guitar riffs. The duo has recorded two brand new songs with the intent to support the rebuilding of a music school in Gyumri, Armenia.

Both Gillan and Iommi have spent a lot of time in Armenia, fallen in love with the country and the people and have dedicated a lot of work to a nation still shocked after the earthquake that struck Armenia on December 7, 1988.

The collaboration of Gillan and Iommi, who have worked together before on the SABBATH album "Born Again", is in itself an incredible news for all rock and metal fans and will be the best of surprises to get to know who is completing the band: None other than Jon Lord ("Mr. Hammond", partner with Gillan on all the DEEP PURPLE classics), IRON MAIDEN drummer Nicko McBrain, ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted and HIM guitarist player Mikko "Linde" Lindström are also featured on the two new songs.

WHOCARES will release "Out of My Mind" and "Holy Water" on digital download and limited-edition CD single on May 6: The CD single will also contain the video clip of "Out Of My Mind" and a 40-minute documentary that shows Gillan's and Iommi's involvement with the Armenia cause over the years.

Commented Gillan: "The idea came as Tony and I flew back from Yerevan together after being inspired by the enthusiasm of everyone there to get this thing done.

"It was brilliant working with Tony again after all these years; he makes life easy for a singer.

"The other guys need no introduction, do they?!"

Added Iommi: "Some twenty years ago when the call came, I thought, well at least I've helped, but it was going to Armenia and seeing the actual devastation caused by the earthquake that really made me realize that funds were still needed.

"Despite all the money that was raised last time, here was a music school doing their best, forgotten, in basic tin sheds. After the warmth and honor bestowed upon us during our visit, we just had to help make a difference and get the school rebuilt. And what better way than to hook up with some of rock's greatest players and my old mate Ian, both an honor and a pleasure."

WHOCARES recording lineup:

* Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH) - Guitar
* Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) - Vocals
* Jason Newsted (METALLICA, VOIVOD, FLOTSAM AND JETSAM) - Bass
* Nicko McBrain (IRON MAIDEN) - Drums
* Jon Lord (DEEP PURPLE) - Keyboards
* Mikko "Linde" Lindström (HIM) - Guitar

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID= 156405

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 06, 2011 14:48     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe something interesting.

I was wondering whatever happen to Jasonic.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 06, 2011 15:26     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, can't wait to hear this! Jon Lord and Tony Iommi... that sounds awesome!

The guy from HIM seems like a weird fit with this otherwise legendary lineup, haha.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted April 06, 2011 16:11     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw a news report of Newsted's new career as a painter.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 06, 2011 18:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
could be interesting. thanks for the heads up...

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 06, 2011 21:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a MUST HAVE cd for me. Except the dude from HIM (who cares, really?). You can't pick a much better super group!!!

WOW!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 06, 2011 23:49     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hoping for a *really* special edition that doesn't have Jason or the HIM guy. Sorry, I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Bah,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted April 07, 2011 00:09     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just wondering is Linde dating Iommi's daughter?
Great lineup and I hope that Iommi and Gillan doing more songs together.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 07, 2011 01:55     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suppose I should have checked that link earlier, but the little YouTube snippet sounds really promising. Definitly picking this up!

It also reminded me just how fucking great Tony Iommi is. For a guy who's been at it for so long, his chops are still top notch! Could likely say the same for Gillan and Lord (DP are one of my all time favs), but man, Iommi can dish out the slabs of heavy like no one else.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted April 07, 2011 15:50     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This project will need Geezer.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 08, 2011 10:21     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gillan and Iommi - good stuff! I absolutely love Born Again, so this can't fail for me, especially with Jon Lord Hammonding it up behind them.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to Gillan, Iommi, Geezer and Bill Ward touring as 'Born Again'!

P.S. Kula, how long has it been since I replied in a thread you started?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 08, 2011 11:03     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
P.S. Kula, how long has it been since I replied in a thread you started?

No shit. And how long has it been since the Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey's been on here?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 08, 2011 11:05     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A lonnnnnnng-ass time! I browse from time to time but very rarely post.

I'm shy.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 08, 2011 18:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the idea of the BORN AGAIN band!!! Makes total sense since Heaven & Hell's career was cut short.
The sample sounds amazing.
I'd be thrilled with a full length album from this configuration. You know Iommi has got a bazillion unused riffs, and Gillan can pen lyrics in no time at all.

--------------------

yawn

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 17, 2011 10:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good to see you again, my dear old Monkey friend.
It's been a long time since i have been around.

Looking forward to seeing Voivod here in Zagreb soon.
I promise to behave this time around.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 19, 2011 18:23     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's rad Kula. How are you?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 26, 2011 10:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am good. Hope all my old friends here at VVF are doing well also.

Is Nia still around?

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted May 25, 2011 22:58     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just went to YouTube and listened to the WhoCares' songs - "Out of My Mind" and "Holy Water" - and all I gotta say is:

PLEEEEEASE MAKE A FUCKIN' FULL-LENGTH ALBUM!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!

Iommi and Gillan - what's not to like? Plus Nicko on drums and (I can't believe he actually came out of retirement) Jon Lord on the Hammond. I don't care how old these guys are, they're better than ever.

Deep Sabbath. Black Purple. Fuckin' Awesome!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 27, 2011 23:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nicko retired? Who the hell's been drumming with Maiden then?

I agree... a full length album album is needed. Looks like the release date got pushed back, according to the email I got about my preorder.

--------------------

yawn

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted May 29, 2011 22:26     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No...I was talking about Jon Lord; he left Deep Purple a few years ago. Hadn't heard anything about him for a long time, and thought he'd quit the music biz entirely.

Nicko's another story...I saw him and the rest of Maiden last year, still going strong.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 01, 2011 22:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That makes sense then!!! I was bummed when Lord left DP. Don Airey replaced him and he's good and all and a seasoned vet but he just doesn't have that DP keyboard sound and vibe that Lord does, and it shows on the studio albums that they released with Airey.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan