my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Warriors of Ice live record (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Warriors of Ice live record
tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted April 30, 2011 07:36     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well it looks like yet another reason to head for MDF!
 |  IP: Logged
Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted May 03, 2011 16:30     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if there will be a vinyl version yet or not. I hope there will! Should know for sure in a few weeks
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 09, 2011 12:52     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bought the thing last friday! Pretty cool stuff, tight as hell, and great sound!

Two little things bothered me, though:

- Snake struggles a bit vocally, especially during "Panorama". I'm pretty sure that extensive touring will put his voice back into shape. Go Denis!!!

- Mastering is waaay too fucking loud. Sure it's Voivod playing and Glen producing, but why did they feel the need to ruin it with that annoying clipping sound? Was it approved by the band or Glen? I thought we were over the Loudness War... I just hope that the next studio album will not be ruined by the mastered-in-a-digital-frying-pan mentality.

Otherwise, it's all good! \m/

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted May 12, 2011 11:10     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry guys, the date of the release kept been push back now it's suppose to be June 14th for Canada and June 21 for the US.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 12, 2011 17:39     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
- Snake struggles a bit vocally, especially during "Panorama". I'm pretty sure that extensive touring will put his voice back into shape. Go Denis!!!

We (Megz, Vroommeister, me & my better half) saw him performing three weeks ago, and I can say he is in fecking top shape!!! Hearing him do Forlorn was great too, it added some of that fine W&P/Röar/KT rage to the song. Songs like Bacteria and The Tower would suit his style well too IMO.

Only a little over a month and I'll see them again in Helsinki....how about a tune from the Outer Limits to celebrate the occasion, guys?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 12, 2011 20:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

- Mastering is waaay too fucking loud. Sure it's Voivod playing and Glen producing, but why did they feel the need to ruin it with that annoying clipping sound? Was it approved by the band or Glen? I thought we were over the Loudness War... I just hope that the next studio album will not be ruined by the mastered-in-a-digital-frying-pan mentality.

Otherwise, it's all good! \m/

Maybe they're going for the Metallica production treatment

I'll still want a copy, because I've been dying to hear Belanger sing anything from the Eric era. I'm so glad thay aren't just forgetting about all that great music that was created during that time, like a lot of bands do when a singer comes back.

--------------------

yawn

Max1334
VoivodFan
Member # 202

posted May 13, 2011 19:34     Profile for Max1334   Email Max1334     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
got my copy @ gig in Novara last week. Have listened to it many times, and for me is a good album. Really can't understand comments agains the quality of the sound, or the vocals of Snake, or other stuff. In my opinion (but is mine, so I'm not against anyone of you ) this is not the 2nd Live album by Voivod. Is another live album, 'cause in my head they have put out many liveshows as "iron gang tapes". now, many of us don't have a tape anymore, so, here's the cd. No post-production, no frills. that's all, a good soundboard record that capture a period in a story of a great band. like a snapshot, if you want
anyway, good one, I need other things like this, live "Lives", like "Fawless Structure" etc.... no matter the format you choose: just put out those great treasures

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 13, 2011 04:21     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Loving this record. Production and performance are all spot on for me. Already listened to it more than 'Lives'! It's got me wishing 'Forlorn' and 'Kaleidos' were on there. Which reminds me... I need to rip the Roadburn show...
tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted July 13, 2011 15:40     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LIKE!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 13, 2011 21:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need find a place to order this TONIGHT!!!

--------------------

yawn

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted July 13, 2011 22:58     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im still waiting to get my promo copy in at work, but i gotta admit im going fuckin' nuts and can barely handle it anymore! i should just buy it already!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 13, 2011 23:41     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had pre-ordered it from Amazon and have listened to it a few times so far. The band sounds great and the song selection is top notch.

My only real complaint is that it's mastered way too loud and (as Maldororz already pointed out) is clipping pretty badly, which sucks a good amount of the thickness out of the recording. I really hope that trend goes away soon.

The CD is a nice digipack, and while fairly minimal, makes a great addition to the Voivod collection. Love the cover. I see Skul got a call out in the thanks too.

Pretty excited for a new studio album, and dare I say "new era" [?!] from this awesome lineup.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 14, 2011 23:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ordered mine from Amazon last night... of course I had to buy a bunch of other cds & dvds to go with it. You know I have a hard time just buying 1 item, and I wanted that free shipping with an order of $25 or more... much more.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 19, 2011 07:57     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i ordered mine from amazon last week and threw in a pre-order of the new EOLB to make the shipping free. unfortunately, i think that means they are shipping my Voivod when they release EOLB (at the end of next month!)

still, i love the internet mp3s ive attained of the new one. cant wait for my hard copy.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 22, 2011 22:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only had a chance to sorta listen to this once, so far, but I agree with the "too loud" comments, although I'll have to say a "too loud" recorded Voivod show is way better than "not at all" recorded Voivod show... So, I'm happy just the same.

Not sure why I was thinking there was something on this from the Eric era... maybe because of all the Youtube videos I've seen with them performing Forlorn and my poor brain got confused. I love what Chewy's done to take over for Piggy... who I'm sure is smiling down on the band with much appreciation for carrying on his legacy.

Anyway, it just gets me excited for what's to come in the future.

--------------------

yawn

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted July 23, 2011 02:53     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I love what Chewy's done to take over for Piggy... who I'm sure is smiling down on the band with much appreciation for carrying on his legacy.

Read this quote from metalreview.com ->

quote:
Did you feel the Earth stand still when guitarist Denis D'Amour, a.k.a. Piggy, lost his battle with colon cancer? I did. Even the universe thought it impossible for Voivod to carry on in his absence. After all, he played those strings like he was guiding a puppet the size of a planet. Now how many of us are convinced that at least a speck of Denis' light was reincarnated into current guitarist - and Martyr mastermind - Daniel Mongrain... Probably only myself and a handful of other Voivod weirdos. But the dude can mimic Piggy's style to the point that it's actually a bit creepy. And to top it off with a chill down the spine, he actually looks a tad bit like him, too.

Read the complete review here -> http://metalreview.com/reviews/6264/voivod-warriors-of-ice

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 24, 2011 10:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that quote really sums it up!!!!

--------------------

yawn

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted August 03, 2011 23:18     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got mine today.Thats a killer live show and funny too!!!
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted August 05, 2011 14:34     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently reviewed this album here:
http://musicxtra.net/bands/voivod/review.html

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan