my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Disturbing

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disturbing
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 17, 2011 11:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Decibel Magazine

And yet the guy makes some good points....would the album be that much of a disaster if another band other than CF had made it?? A great question to ponder...

|  IP: Logged
Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted February 18, 2011 00:17     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if you wont tell anyone... I kind of like that album nowadays. Back then it was horrible.
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted February 18, 2011 02:45     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like that CF album, but the review is fun to read

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 18, 2011 14:19     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hilarious read, I quite like the album though

--------------------

String em up

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 18, 2011 17:31     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back then we didn't have any of this deathcore/metalcore/nu-'metal'/melo-death/emo-crap. Nowadays 'Cold Lake' would be regarded as a old-school classic. If only it wasn't recorded by CF. Ugh!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted February 19, 2011 11:27     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
Back then we didn't have any of this deathcore/metalcore/nu-'metal'/melo-death/emo-crap. Nowadays 'Cold Lake' would be regarded as a old-school classic. If only it wasn't recorded by CF. Ugh!

I Totaly agree Chef. However dont forget that the "thing" is described as an abomination in their own website. I was expecting the never made ?Line Baker Tree?at the time to be in the same vein as Into the Pandemonium...shocked back than. Now comparing Cold Lake with all that garbage you describe in the 1st paragraph it's quite listenable Cold Lake and i dont believe i said that.

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted February 19, 2011 16:50     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always enjoyed CF's cover of Mexican Radio.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 19, 2011 21:02     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd always heard OF Celtic Frost, but never heard the music. Knew they were tour mates with Voivod through the '80s and such. The very first song I ever heard was on the "Cherry Orchards" video. After that, I thought their fans must be pussies.

Ben Falgoust set me straight years later.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 20, 2011 14:54     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember quite clearly the day I cycled to the local record store to purchase the newest CF piece. I was shocked when I saw the back cover only. Hearing the songs made me shivver and shake. But after several listenings I kinda got used to it. After all it was Celtic Frost, wasn't it...

I understand that agirlfriend talked them into doing this horrible thing.

Credibility that was built up in years had been blown away in months.

The fact CF did not bother to remaster this album where they remastered all others says enough!!

Now I never listen to it anymore but for good times sake I could give it a spin tomorrow at work.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 25, 2011 06:29     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I gave it a try but stopped after 1,5 song. After that I gave Vanity Nemesis a spin. Much better listanable imo.

Need some Meshuggah Catch 33 to get into the spirit again...

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 25, 2011 07:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I know, after reading this story I really want to listen to it as well......I've only heard that one song off the album...what was it called, 'Cherry Drops' or something...

Did anybody see this in the comments section:

When Triptykon played in Toronto last October I brought my LP of Cold Lake with me to see if I could get Tom G Warrior to sign it. He signed it alright. He wrote one word on every band member:

Oliver - IDIOT
Curt - POSER
Tom G - ABOMINATION
Stephen P - ASSHOLE

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 25, 2011 11:43     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

Oliver - IDIOT
Curt - POSER
Tom G - ABOMINATION
Stephen P - ASSHOLE

bwahahaha...dude

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 25, 2011 12:55     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes that's priceless, hahahahahaha

--------------------

String em up

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 25, 2011 15:24     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have to admire the fact that Tom G. could make such a universally reviled album, and at different points in his career, also make essential contributions to metal that essentially changed and shaped the genre.

When you think about it, the timing of this release was truly amazing. Like letting a big fart in a movie theatre at that oh so quiet point in the movie. Sure, everybody else is farting, but they were doing it during the action scenes. There's no surprise in hair-bands making hair metal records, but when Celtic Frost does it, that's news.

Like Paul, I have a very specific memory of going to the store, only to find this thing. Celtic Frost issued a challenge to their fans to expect avant-garde and progressive leanings, but I sure didn't see Cold Lake coming, by any means. I couldn't even bring myself to check out Vanity/Nemesis (which I do kinda like) until the early 2000's... that's how extreme the effect of it was for me.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan