my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Captain Beefheart R.I.P.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Captain Beefheart R.I.P.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 19, 2010 11:33     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On December 17th, Don Van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart died of MS-related complications. He was an ARTIST in the truest sense.

Live in Belgium '69

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

|  IP: Logged
Ron McGregor
VoivodFan
Member # 1080

posted December 19, 2010 11:52     Profile for Ron McGregor   Email Ron McGregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bad news.
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 19, 2010 11:53     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That sucks.

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 19, 2010 19:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was never a fan or follower; because, I never really bothered listening to his creations; however, I know of Beefheart's legendary status in the music world and it is indeed sad news.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 20, 2010 08:23     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very sad. But MS is an awful disease. May have been a liberation for him.

Dave, check out 'Trout Mask Replica'. You'd love it.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 22, 2010 01:04     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everybody is dropping these days. I find myself wondering who will be next...

Anyways, RIP artistic dude

--------------------

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted December 22, 2010 23:05     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh no! Not another one of my youth idols who passed away. Very sad news. I see a lot of artist that I liked disapear years after years from the last decade (Piggy, James Gurley, Dickie Peterson, Ron Asheton, John Entwistle . I think that the Captain gone for a great gig with his long time friend and one of my all times biggest idol, Frank Zappa. I going to listen to Bongo Fury album right now. A must to celebrate the memory of the Captain... and drink a beer.
L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted December 23, 2010 00:33     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In addition to the musical legacy he left unintentionally turning off this weekend, Captain Beefheart had also assured his estate some years ago, leaving a small information note entitled the "Captain Beefheart's 10 Commandments of Guitar Playing. " No no, do not flee, I will not tell you about guitar lessons Yngwie Malmsteem or cheat codes for guitar hero, but real useful advice given by someone who knows what he's talking about Captain Beefheart. Whole philosophy of the guitar smart, funny and very true to play as Gary Lucas and Marc Ribot and especially not like Steve Vai. Apprentices guitarists, is the Captain speaking.

01. Listen to the birds
That's where I got all the music. The birds know how it should sound and where that sound should come. And watch hummingbirds. They fly very fast, but mostly they are not going anywhere.

02. Your guitar is not really a guitar
Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them back. A guitar is also a fishing rod. If you're good, you'll get a big one.

03. Practise in front of a bush *
Wait until the moon rises and then go out, eat a seed bread and play your guitar to the bush. If the bush does not shake, eat another piece of bread.

04. Walk with the devil
The old Delta blues players called their amp a "devil's box". And they were right. You must be an employer does not discriminate in hiring when you bring someone on the other side. Electricity attracts demons and devils. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

05. If you are guilty of thinking, you're fired
If your brain goes into the process, you're missing. You should play like a guy who is drowning, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling when you have something to fur. (?)

06. Never point your guitar to someone
Your instrument has more power than lightning. Just play a major agreement and run outside to hear it. Make sure you're not in an open space.

07. Always carry your bottle opener
You must have your bottle opener with you and use it when prompted. This is your part of the arrangement. Like One String Sat was a Detroit street musician playing an instrument he had built himself. His song "I need a hundred dollars" is the cream puff. Another carrier opener was Hubert Sumlin, guitarist for Howlin 'Wolf. He stands just standing there like the Statue of Liberty, giving you want to look up her dress to see how he does.

08. Do not wipe the sweat from your instrument
You need that stink on it. Then you must put that stench in your music.

09. Keep your guitar in a dark place
When you do not play, cover your guitar and keep it in a dark place. If you do not play for more than a day be sure to give him a saucer of water.

10. You must have a cover on your motor
Wear a hat when you play and keep it on your head. A hat is a pressure cooker. If you have a roof on your house the hot air can not escape. Even a lima bean to be wrapped in a wet sheet of paper to push.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan