my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Doom

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doom
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 11, 2010 16:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just ran across this in the Metalsucks blog that came from a review of the new album by Salome:

What sets Salome apart from the doom metal crowd is that they never do quite what one would expect from their genre. Doom’s most satisfying aspect might be, as the brilliant Justin Foley would put it, that the genre allows you really feel the weight and physical exertion of the music — but it’s biggest pratfall is that it can become redundant and boring in a hurry. For too many doom bands, drone isn’t the appetizer — it’s the main course. It’s like they’re testing the listener: “Oh, yeah? You think you’re hard? Well, how long can you listen to this shit? IT’S LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY, MOTHERFUCKERS!”

Oh hell, I can't tell you how much I agree with the above statement. Now I know we have some doom metal fans here. Do you disagree with the above? Just one of the things that has always bugged me about the genre so I thought I might post it here just to vent.

And here's some Salome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPvjlQT_b-8&feature=player_embedded

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 11, 2010 18:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yep... alot of doom bores the shite out of me. Gotta admit to loving it when they get it right though. Stuff Like Yob or Electric Wizard. Guess it needs that added bit of spite or psychedelia to grab my attention. Drone does bugger all for me.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2010 23:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought this thread was about the crust band... Oh well...

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted October 12, 2010 00:25     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
I thought this thread was about the crust band... Oh well...

I heard that they're back??

But what comes to doom Im again alone by myself... I love more challengin they are and I dont like these "rockin" bands at all. I just think they're rock...
I love the smell of paint in the morning! Hahaha

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted October 12, 2010 06:22     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, do you know

Esoteric (UK) - Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum

?

This is the greatness of "doom" to me.
Epic, monumental walls of heavyness.

Or take

Evoken - A caress of the Void

In fact, those are my two favourite doom records.

They even overtook Cathedral's classic 'Forest of Equilibrium'.

What I don't like about other doom bands is when they use prevalent blues patterns.
There are so many other possibilites than to built everything upon blues licks, as we know.

--------------------

What the...?

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted October 12, 2010 15:08     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I "kinda" like doom, and the band I play in is often labeled as "Doom"... I'm a sucker for Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Memory Garden, etc. but at the same time I dig a bunch of bands that have just a doom "vibe" while adding other influences.

For example, In the Woods... they come from the black metal scene, but I think they played some kind of avant garde rock-metal with a doom twist. The same for my fellow Chilean friends Mar de Grises.

Ultra slow funeral doom, drone, etc. also bores me.

Not a Big fan of the more "rockish" doom (ala Count Raven, St. Vitus, etc.). I somehow feel that they are all trying to mimic Black Sabbath, and in that case I just prefer to listen to Sabbath (flame suit on) .

All I can say is that I dig the heaviness and dark sense of melody of doom, but mixed with some dynamic arrangements, variation and energy. (maybe Voivod meets Doom?)

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 12, 2010 22:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed, the drone shit is boring.

I've always considered doom to be Sabbath, Trouble, Electric Wizard, Candlemass, yadda yadda yadda.
Bottom line for me is, if it's heavy and grooves, I dig it. I also like a singer that you can understand what the hell they're singing. Probably because I can't properly play an instrument and need to connect to the words and want to sing along.
I also enjoy doom better when they mix in other elements to make it more interesting... although, I guess that wouldn't really considered pure doom.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 22, 2010 20:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/10/listen_to_new_s_1.html

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan