my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The most memorable gigs you've been to? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: The most memorable gigs you've been to?
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 04, 2010 19:25     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod on Outer Limits tour - for obvious reasons! First time I saw them play.
Obituary on Cause of Death tour - first ever stage dive at that gig
and Autopsy at Maryland this year fuck yeah!!!!

--------------------

String em up

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 05, 2010 23:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention DEATH ANGEL who I saw for each of the first 3 tours from The Ultra Violence to Act 3, and hung out on the bus with them getting autographs during the Ultra Violence tour. I had them sign my cd which they didn't even know had been released in that format. Andy was only 16 and played fuckin' years beyond his age.

--------------------

yawn

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 07, 2010 12:49     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
Voivod on Outer Limits tour - for obvious reasons! First time I saw them play.

Same here. One of the best shows I've ever been to. Got to hang with the guys shared some smokeables with them and banged my head and sang my ass off. The Nrxt time they came thru town was with Eric and it was amazing as well.

Paganfest with Moonsorrow was fucking awesome too. They were super nice guys and their set was hypnotizing. Soooo good.

Maiden 2 years ago on the SBIT tour in Regina was literally a life changing experience for me. It was the highlight of the year for me and then shit hit the fan in my life, so I really cherish that gig and the total experience it was.

Been to so many shows, it's hard to nail down a few that really stood out, but some other really memorable ones were Down/Voivod. Made me a huge fan of Down and seeing Voivod with Dan was incredible.

Metallica/Metal Church on the Puppets tour was just fucking wild. We got stoned with The Mentors, we were right up front and the bands were killer. Great old venue too.

Some more reallt kick ass shows...

Immolation/Skinless/Deicide

Scorpions in '84 LAFS tour

Ministry/Hazel Und Gretyl

All 10 or so times I saw SNFU back in the day

Heaven & Hell/Megadeth/Down

Judas Priest/Megadeth/Testament on the Painkiller tour

Rush on the Snakes and Arrows tour

...I'm sure more will come to me, but those shows were some real fucking stand-outs

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 08, 2010 14:27     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy crap...this is tough. Stand outs for me and I've been to so many damned shows it's hard to remember them all:

Christ don't make me remember dates! Oh, and I'm LOVING the flyers you folks have saved/scanned...those rule.
Suppose I can begin with shows from 80's and 90's...
Priest's Screaming for Vengeance tour

White Zombie gigs at Club Rec, basically someone's garage in Albuquerque

The cut too damned short Sonic Youth gig at the UNM Sub Ballroom

Helmet at the Outpost Performance Space, a jazz club of sorts (holy fuck, remember this one?)

Pavement on their Slanted and Enchanted tour at the now burned down Golden West...heavenly! And with that drunk ass drummer...hilarity!

Miracle Legion at the Golden West...oh god, I loved this show

Mannequin Beach from Nebraska at El Quinto Sol Inn (or some such name) in northern New Mexico near Taos...don't even remember who it was I went with...Dude, these guys RULED!

Voivod on their Nothingface tour at the Sunshine Theatre when me, my bro and sis worked the gig

Old school local bands Cracks in the Sidewalk, Treadmill and Nervous killing my dorky young brain on Sigma Chi road, the basement of Fred's Bread and Bagel, living rooms in 'Burque and the ever infamous Club Rec...pure punk awesomeness never again to be relived! ! !

Newer gigs:

Fuckin' Carcass on their reunion tour (SF and 'Burque)...oh god, drooling over Bill Steer and his guitar playing...christ, unforgettable. SICK, SICK, SICK!

Death Angel in Portland, OR after releasing The Art of Dying...their energy was over the top and still leaves me wondering why these guys aren't HUGER than they are...Cavestany is a GOD!

Meshuggah @ the Launchpad...not sure what tour, maybe 2005 or 2006

The Haunted @ the Launchpad

Fear Factory in Portland, OR, must have been the Digimortal tour. First time I'd seen them and every gig of theirs afterwards killed! They NEVER suck...even without Dino.

Whew...I'm beat just trying to remember and type up all of that. And, wondering how it is I'm able to hear ANYTHING at this point. If I live to be too old, I'm definitely going to be deaf.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted July 08, 2010 15:49     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoa man, I'm so cool and RETRO!

I just paid 30 bucks for a vinyl rock record, even though the disc is cheaper and sounds better.

Damn I'm smooth.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 08, 2010 19:28     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yay the troll is back!! We missed ya!

--------------------

String em up

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted July 09, 2010 18:54     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted July 10, 2010 02:36     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And my list keeps going....

Moonspell/Tiamat, last year's november. It was only me and my older brother. We've been Moonspell's wolves since too long, that it's like those things that keeps us united. I remember we entered the place so drunk, but it only took listening to the opening local band Lacrimae to return to normal. Then, Tiamat was so good, they played more of their new stuff, but some classics also. Then Fernando from Moonspell came out to sing The sleeping beauty with them.
Then it happened... Moonspell finally! They played an impeccable show, with some songs I've never thought they would play, the crowd (us included) was one of the loudest I've ever heard, and so it came, it went... leaving us a great memory.

Oh another great one: Possessed with Sadistic Intent in 2008, simply f-u-c-k-i-n-g awesome, we met Jeff Becerra, he's such a humble person... but they only didn't played The eyes of Horror (wich is my favourite) but they played all the good stuff from Seven Churches and Beyond the Gates/The eyes of horror.

Cannibal Corpse in 2007... simply.... BRUTAL!

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 10, 2010 11:57     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah can't wait to see Cannibal again!
Unfortunately I missed Possessed at Maryland, I arrived about 10 minutes after they finished... graaaah. Still haven't seen em.

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 10, 2010 23:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pantera - Suicidal Tendencies - Red Hot Chili Pepers at Painters Mill, Owings Mill Maryland many ,many many years ago... what a line up.

Megadeth with Flotsam & Jetsam at Channel One in Baltimore. Must have been for either the Killing Is My Business or Peace Sells tour. Gar & Chris were still in the band and Mr Newsted was still in Flotsam.

--------------------

yawn

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted July 11, 2010 10:07     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Megadeth with Flotsam & Jetsam at Channel One in Baltimore. Must have been for either the Killing Is My Business or Peace Sells tour. Gar & Chris were still in the band

*drool* wow - such an early megadeth gig. im so jealous!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 11, 2010 14:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At the Megadeth/Flotsam show some asshole stole one of Flot's guitar pedals before the band hit the stage. They announced they would turn off the lights and request the pedal be put back on stage... which resulted in NO PEDAL. Finally after a few other "requests" Mustaine came out and announced he'd be best friends with the person who turned in the fucker who stole it so they could take a pound of flesh from the bastard and get the pedal back... The suspect was soon found and the show commenced... which was totally devastating from both bands.

Years later I was chatting with someone about the gig and he was also there, and happened to be friends with the fuckhead that took the pedal. When I asked wheat happened to him, he told me the beat the living shit out of the guy!!! LOVE IT... don't fuck with metal or you'll be eating shit through a straw. Great memories.

--------------------

yawn

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted July 11, 2010 16:21     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Black Sabbath with Dio, stunning vocal peformance on the Dehumanizer tour.

Dio, Master of the Moon, plenty of Rainbow and Sabbath including Sign of the Southern Cross, Run With the Wolf, Gates of Babylon, Man on the Silver Mountain, Long Live Rock and Roll, Stargazer, plus all the Dio greats. Dio was awesome, he was 63! All the dudes played a great show Simon Wright from AC/DC, Rudy Sarzo, and Craig Goldy. You can watch Stargazer on YouTube from that tour.

Mojave 3, Los Angeles. Slowdive singer and acoustic band at the Troubadour. People crowded the joint truly memorable outstanding vocals and harmonizing.

Lacuna Coil at House of Blues. A club act that like Slayer excels in this setting. Sold out, played most of Unleashed Memories.

Slayer, Reign in Blood, Royal Oak MI bloodbath. 86 in the heydey, people rushed the doors when it opened, and went insane pummeling one another. Perfect show, and why Slayer crowds are feared.

Rush , Roll the Bones, 8th row. Kick drum bouncing off the solar plexus, Xanadu, outdoor ampithreatre, they bring their own PA system. Flawless.

Outer Limits, Voivod show. Laser lights and great set list. Snake was full of energy running around the stage. Played Suck Your Bone and Live for Violence. UFO's in the form of laser lights bounced off the ceiling.

Celtic Frost, Cold Lake. Into the Crypts of Rays, Return to the Eve, Usurper and all the greats performed by the new band. Steve Preistly on drums. Full crowd, perfect sound and HEAVY.

Coroner. Ultimate live power trio, (along with the Whiplash show where we all got a chance to stagedive.) You folks who haven't seen Coroner are in for a treat. Their drummer, Edelman is the best in metal IMO. Redefines the phrase tight rythm section.

Catherine Wheel, "Chrome," and Slowdive in 1992 was really special and grounbreaking. A really metal performance by Dickinson, Futter and Sims.

The Gorf has spoken

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 12, 2010 05:51     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, hope Ron Royce can still play after all these years though!!

--------------------

String em up

Ron McGregor
VoivodFan
Member # 1080

posted July 12, 2010 06:53     Profile for Ron McGregor   Email Ron McGregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will have to say the World War III fest in Montreal : POSSESSED - CELTIC FROST - NASTY SAVAGE - DESTRUCTION & VOÏVOD.

Those first MARILLION shows in Montreal in 1983 also made a real impression on me as did all the KING CRIMSON shows too.

The first time I saw PAUL McCARTNEY was also quite a revelation as I grow up with The BEATLES.

Eye saw more than a 1000 shows, so it's really quite hard really pinned the pinacle, but as I said the WW III was really somthing.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan